Baggy shorts - why so expensive?

2»

Comments

• hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    I'll tell you what the difference is, for example with endura humvee shorts, you get no seams underneath to rub on long rides, lots of pockets, water resistant, proper cycling cut, made from climacool material, zips on the sides to reveal air vents to keep you cool, come with a removable padded lycra liner( which can be up to £20 on there own ). And they look good!!

Cheap baggy shorts from primark etc....ermm...they look ok?
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    BigAirNig wrote:
    Had an idea - buy a much more expensive bike, then you won't think twice about spending £50 on shorts, since the differential will be more obvious ...... problem solved !!

:roll:

^ +1

Why be a damned cheapskate about it?

Endura Singletracks and Humvees are expensive but they're ace.
    Whilst at Swinnerton Cycles Cannock a few weeks back I got a pair of Fox 3/4 baggies with padded liner for £36 and a pair of padded Altura baggies for £23
    Who says quality branded kit has to cost?
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i was thinking of buying some endura shorts which are £30 but i found royal sub shorts on CRC for £16. i love them. tbh you have to search around and go into shops to find bargains. also proper mtb shorts are alot stronger and comfier. i used to ride in some cotton shorts and they were all right but the royal shorts are alot better. tbh i do think mtb shorts are kind of over priced but i'd rather pay £30 for good quality shorts which will be comfy to ride in and last longer
  • RED_
    RED_ Posts: 51
    Decathlon. £20.

I particularly like the description:
    designed for feeling good when out mountain biking.

How can you refuse?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/s-i-x-sho ... 117136698/

They also do slightly shorter ones for £10.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I got one of my pairs of Altura Mayhems free with either an MBUK or WMB subscription ;) The other pair were £25. Brilliant shorts... Leg vents, came with padded liners should you have a taste for the sensual feel of adult nappies, zippered rear pocket to stop it catching on the saddle, nice lightweight breathable construction. And very durable. But then I've got a pair of Random Unnamed Shorts from Tesco that cost a tenner and are, oh, 4/5s as good.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DomWint
    DomWint Posts: 59
    BigAirNig wrote:
    Had an idea - buy a much more expensive bike, then you won't think twice about spending £50 on shorts, since the differential will be more obvious ...... problem solved !!

:roll:

OK. But do you know where I can get a cheap balaclava before I go and rob a bank?
  • nickfrog wrote:
    £40 over a 5-year period is cheaper than £20 every two years, not to mention the added comfort, practicality etc etc.

That's true, but too many people infer that the £40 item is better/more durable/more comfortable than the £20 item. That is not a given. I got given some no-name cycling gloves awhile back. I didn't wear them as I had my nice expensive branded pair. Then one day I was in a hurry and couldn't find my usual pair so grabbed the no-name pair. I found that they were more comfortable than the branded pair, and over the years have proven to be more durable. Now, that isn't always the case, but we have to be open-minded enough to try cheaper products and not just rely on marketing.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    RED_ wrote:
    Decathlon. £20.
    I particularly like the description:
    designed for feeling good when out mountain biking.
    How can you refuse?
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/s-i-x-sho ... 117136698/
    They also do slightly shorter ones for £10.

I've had £20 Decathlon baggies. It was TERRIBLE. The fit was so bad I would have been more comfy naked, I am not even exagerating. The stitching was very weak and it had seams pretty much in all of the wrong places. The low quality was shocking.
    It was the worst £20 I ever spent as I could only endure it for a couple of rides.
    Makes £40 proper baggies feel very good value indeed as you can actually use them.
  • Yukon Boy
    Yukon Boy Posts: 70
    Decathlon Rockrider shorts.

Great quality. Look the part. Job's a good un.
  • The Fopster
    The Fopster Posts: 25
    I have some padded lycra shorts from tesco - I think they were 8 quid. Wear some baggy swim shorts on top - have had so long I have no idea what they cost, but as I seldom spend over a tenner on "apparel" I doubt they're expensive...

Works great. Wears well. Job done.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
  • psymon
    psymon Posts: 1,562
    www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/endur ... x?&id=4099

got these from here
    good, liner is fixed and could do with being higher at the back but great for the price.
    £30
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Lidl have padded Baggy's today for about £8 try them maybe.
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I got some baggies from Decathlon the other week, £19 if I remember rightly with a padded liner, they seem to be great so far.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    make some. i have

shorts-800wi.jpg
  • Proper baggy riding short.. such as the Sombrio ones I have are cut specifically for MTBing.

They have more space than usual on the thigh/front of the leg so that you can easily fit pads under and they aren't stupidly tight whel pedaling sat down.
    Also, the back is usually cut a bit higher so that your aren't pedaling with your ass crack out.

"normal" shorts are just that.... normal. not all are comfortable to ride in.
  • DomWint
    DomWint Posts: 59
    Right. Finally got my head around it then. This is where internet shopping fails. To me, MTB baggies just look like shorts, which is why I was confused as to the benefits. If they are cut differently and engineered not to chafe etc then I can now see the advantage and will try to overcome my inner Scrooge.

Thanks for the advice chaps. Time to release the moths from the wallet.
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    My wife just returned with some Lidl shorts. They're not baggies as such, just thigh length normal shorts.

They seem very thin & breathable, so not sure how long they'll last, but the best bit is that they have a normal pair of lycra cycling shorts buttoned inside them. These have a very generous padded area, so are worth the £8.00 alone, even if you bin the external shorts.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    You have plenty of choice nowadays. If "proper" baggies are too expensive (just your opinion) then don't buy them.
    Get yourself some regular £10 shorts from Peacocks instead and just ride your bike.