Baggy shorts - why so expensive?

DomWint
DomWint Posts: 59
edited May 2010 in MTB general
OK, I'll admit. I'm as tight as a duck's backside, but why are baggy shorts upwards of £30? Has anybody found any cheaper alternatives? I appreciate they have to be light, stretchy and preferably quick-drying (like walking trousers which are equally expensive).

Will pop to Sports DIrect (where, along with Aldi, I have so far budget-kitted my ar*e from head to toe). Any recommendations? Just a bit peeved that if you buy a budget bike (like me - ie sub-£250, you can spend as much again on what I would consider fairly essential kit for longer rides).

Comments

• cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Some cheap lycra shorts from aldi or lidle and a pair of summer knee length baggy shorts from primark for a fiver do the job.

Except they are probably not as durable. I use Endura Humvees myself, best value found so far.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Millets can be a good bet for cheap baggy shorts and stuff.

(I suppose other hiking/camping chain stores will be exactly the same, but we only have a Millets locally)

Oh, and don't forget TK Maxx 8)
  • DomWint
    Hadn't considered Primarché. Good suggestion. As is the Maxx. Cheers guys.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Hummvees were £31 delivered this winter. But now everyone wants them so they are £40 which is still good VFM. It's down to supply and demand.
  • DomWint
    Sorry, but to me £40 is not good value. I'm looking more at the £20 or less end of the market. Preferably cheaper. What exactly are you getting, quality-wise, for that amount of money?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    DomWint
    I know exactly what you mean.

I've got 3/4 length humvees and they're definitely a big step above the Sports Direct Umbro shorts I've also got, but they cost ten times as much so they should be. I'd probably get another pair, but only if I could find them for £30ish.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    They are designed more for pedaling efficancy and lighter weight and strength, basically more for cycling in.

I got on fine with some 8 quid Airwalk baggy shorts from Sports Direct for over a year though so if you can't afford the more expensive stuff, just get some ordinary shorts and some lycra/liner with padding for extra comfort if required
  • BigAirNig
    BigAirNig Posts: 296
    VALUE and PRICE are totally different !!

Just because it's cheap may not mean it's good value...... if it falls apart in a fraction of the time ....... a slightly more expensive pair will likely be more comfy and last longer too .....
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Oh, and don't forget TK Maxx 8)
    +1 don't forget the Maxx :)

But DomWint makes a good point. I think £60-70-80 plus for baggies is taking the p*ss.

There are usually some out-of-season bargains to be had at the lbs. Shorts in WInter, lights in Summer; nobody wants 'em :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Aldi or Lidl or whatever are selling them for 7.99 on Thursday
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    peter413 wrote:
    pedaling efficancy

It was bad enough with pedals!

:wink:
    MTB/CX

• peter413
    bails87 wrote:
    peter413 wrote:
    pedaling efficancy

What do you mean by that.

Would you rather I said the cut of them so they don't restrict movement :roll: :wink:
  • DomWint
    BigAirNig wrote:
    VALUE and PRICE are totally different !!

Agreed. So what are you getting extra for the money over a pair of 'fashion' shorts? When you look at the reviews on here, it seems £40 is the minimum price for a pair of baggies.

I've been riding in a pair of £3 footie shorts. But now the weather is warmer and I don't wear a jacket with zips, I need some pockets to put keys and a phone in (and I want to look a bit cooler 8) ).

What features do cycling baggy shorts have over ordinary baggy shorts that demand such a high price?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    swimming trunks with the liner cut out work pretty well. Dry very quickly and are fairly stretchy.
  • DomWint
    You and I are on the same page, RW.
  • bails87
    peter413 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    peter413 wrote:
    pedaling efficancy

What do you mean by that.

Would you rather I said the cut of them so they don't restrict movement :roll: :wink:

I just don't think I could take a 25 page thread which culminates in someone trying to work out the relative efficiency gains of wearing 'proper' shorts vs normal ones whilst cycling upside down on the moon, or however the SPDs vs flats one ended! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I'll happily pay some extra (probably up to £40 for a pair) for the cycling cut and the proper panelling around your nether regions, an old pair of shorts I used to use had a seam that just chafed after a while. Little touches like material that seems to shed mud and be reasonably tough, and pockets that open the right way when you're sitting on the bike all add to it. Much above that and it gets a bit silly though. Possibly paying for better zips and quality up to a point further, but I reckon beyond that its just the name...

Never thought if using swim shorts, that's a great idea!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Halfords does baggies for £20 a pair.

I got my shorts/shirt from Sports Direct. Karrimor stuff always used to be good stuff in the past. Seems fine now too.

I put swim shorts over my lycra cycling shorts... Though I haven't tried the bright red floral pair yet :D
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • DomWint
    kaytronika wrote:
    I got my shorts/shirt from Sports Direct. Karrimor stuff always used to be good stuff

Exactly. Picked up a couple of running tops for £6 a piece the other day. This is what I was asking. Is there an equivalent product in the shorts department?

b-a-s - thanks for at least clearing up the advantages of the proper short. I've paid a fair amount for walking trousers in the past and they are better than walking in joggers. Guess I'm just a bit sore at the fact that when you add in a Camelbak, lock, pump, spare bits and bobs, tools etc you can easily drop £150. That's almost as much as I paid for my bike!
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I'd say they're worth keeping an eye out for on offer, at the very least.

I did get a set of waterproof 3/4s in the winter which were about £55, and they were worth every penny, so give things a try!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i just wear good quality (Billabong, Balin, lost and quicksilver make my current riding baggies) Board shorts.
    by that i mean proper board shorts, made of good, thick polyester. not cheap "look good" shorts, ones actually designed FOR surfing. its easy for me, cuz i surf too, so my shorts get double usage, but a good pair from TK maxx, or online can be had for <20 and so long as you choose a pair with a good flat seam they are great.

with padded lycra, a good set of thick, well made, well cut boardies make my absolute fave winter riding combo.

and in the summer, the lycra gets swapped for a bare backside, or lycra "boxxers" (he, boxxers..... :lol: ) and your good to go.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    £40 over a 5-year period is cheaper than £20 every two years, not to mention the added comfort, practicality etc etc.
    So yes, IMO, Hummvees are very good VFM compared to cheapos. And when you only pay £31.50 it's a no-brainer.
  • DomWint
    Point taken, nick. I'll keep an eye out for a bargain on proper shorts.
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Im sat here in a 6 quid karrimor jersey and some lidl bib shorts (amongst other clothing!) ready to go out for club ride. If you shop around you can get some right bargains. I do spend alot of money on clothing also, but havent had any issues with any of the lower end kit per say.

From Thursday;

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl ... _11034.htm

Any use?

That said, shorts wise I do own a pair of Endura Singletracks and Humvee and think they are both fantastic.
  • peter413
    Am I just a jammy bugger always finding bargains or something?

Don't think so.

I think some people just need to do a bit of searching if they want a good price.

I usually get last years stuff so thats some Royal tops for 20 quid each, DH pants for 50 and the DH shorts for 45.

Will last forever so will pay for itself
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    My fav baggies are about 15yrs old, cost me £5 in the kid's dept.
    Sized 29ins waist, they still fit - must have stretched - and have hip and cargo pockets.

Metal button, velcro pockets. They were combat green, now dyed matt black.
    With a padded insert, why pay up to a ton for a pair?

Another nice pair are Konas, paid about 25 quid. Very light, two-tone green.
    Small Velcro side pockets, velcro waist band.
    Lovely...
  • BigAirNig
    Had an idea - buy a much more expensive bike, then you won't think twice about spending £50 on shorts, since the differential will be more obvious ...... problem solved !!

:roll:
  • BigAirNig
    Had an idea - buy a much more expensive bike, then you won't think twice about spending £50 on shorts, since the differential will be more obvious ...... problem solved !!

:roll:
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    but why are baggy shorts upwards of £30?

Because you ride a mountain bike, and deserve to be ripped off ?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    DomWint wrote:
    You and I are on the same page, RW.

That is not a good thing :wink: