Richmond Sportive 29 May

hugo15
hugo15 Posts: 1,101
Anyone else entered this?

I am entered for the 5 Dale 100. Starting to feel very nerous now.

Comments

• Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I chickened out of the 100 but will do the 50 (3 Dales) instead. I'm not fit enough for the 100 or the 80, plus I have family commitments which means I need to be home by the afternoon :cry:

I expect to burn my legs in hell on The Stang as I want to try for at least a silver medal.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm not doing it this year, but I did the big one last year...quite simply the best sportive I've ever did, value for money is outstanding, the route is perfecto, and having Fleetmoss (the hard way) and Park Rash as the 2 finishing climbs really asks a few questions....but a brill 25 mile run down afterwards....I cannot recommend this enough...its just the business...hope you get a great day for it!

You can read a detailed report I did here (just to get you all in the mood)

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 345&page=2
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'm doing this and really, really looking forward to it. Looks like a fantastic route. I've been over all the climbs, but never on a single ride. Park Rash at 75 miles is going to be a killer.
    More problems but still living....
  • muffin top
    muffin top Posts: 78
    Yep, 80 mile job for me.

My aim is, unlike last year, to not get thigh cramps at 29 miles - and to not then spend the next 50 odd miles having to go slow. My mistake was to throw myself up ever hill and bump early on, at a speed way beyond my ability for a long hilly ride - numpty!

This year, I'll mainly be seen twiddling up hills in a very low gear. I'll be watching my HRM; not just carrying it round as ballast. If I've got any energy left by Hawes I'll let rip down Wensleydale.

Last year was well organised. Greart route. Can't wait!
    I should get out more (on the bike)
  • hugo15
    amaferanga wrote:
    Park Rash at 75 miles is going to be a killer.

The thought of it brings me out in a cold sweat :shock: .
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    First time for me, I've entered the 100 but suspect I'll end up doing the 80! Did the Pennine Challenge last weekend and had really bad spell in the heat so whilst it will be cooler I still need to pace myself better (slower at the start..). Looking forward to it though!
  • steve36
    steve36 Posts: 93
    have entered 3 dale 50 mile,my first sportive,and its hilly :cry:
  • bs147
    Richyboy - Just read your write up, excellent stuff and a great insight into what to expect - thanks.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I am in for the 100. Had to bail out and do the 50 last year due to bike problems and was a bit p*ssed off. Hope the weather is fine and good luck to everybody.
    Brian B.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'm doing the 5 dales. Biggest sportive I've done yet (though I have done some 100s this year). Last weekend I did the Keswick 6 Passes Sportive - that was only 65 miles but 10,000 feet of climbing in very hot conditions and it was pretty straightforward so I am less scared of this Saturday than I was a week ago :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    100 for me as well, although I hope this rain clears off before Saturday. It's hoying it down right now, which would make things not much fun if it keeps up.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga wrote:
    I'm doing this and really, really looking forward to it. Looks like a fantastic route. I've been over all the climbs, but never on a single ride. Park Rash at 75 miles is going to be a killer.

Now that I've seen the weather forecast I'm only looking forward to it. Its gonna be miserable up on Tan Hill....
  • Climber_Andy
    Climber_Andy Posts: 852
    Yep, I'm doing the 80.

On the train now to Northallerton actually!

Looking forward to it, but picked up a couigh and sore throat from last weekend. Meh, just telling my body to be good for the 6-odd hours it'll take!
  • Brian B
    amaferanga wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Now that I've seen the weather forecast I'm only looking forward to it. Its gonna be miserable up on Tan Hill....

Now that I've seen the weather I aint going to go unless the forecast has a radical change soon. Dont fancy another 100miles in the rain and will save £50 on petrol. Perhaps next year! Its pretty grim on the dales when the weather closes in.

Good luck to all that go.
    Brian B.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Brian B wrote:
    Now that I've seen the weather I aint going to go unless the forecast has a radical change soon. Dont fancy another 100miles in the rain and will save £50 on petrol. Perhaps next year! Its pretty grim on the dales when the weather closes in.

Good luck to all that go.

The weather wasn't bad, it was more drizzle then rain for only brief periods. Tan Hill was coldish, with a wind in your face, but no real problem. Stang was cool and cloudy but soon disappeared after a a few metres of descent. Some roads were damp, but not wet.

I noticed that the BBC weather was again inaccurate. I prefer metcheck which seems to be consistently more accurate and looked fairly spot on today.

I was disappointed with my time, almost 40 minutes behind my projected time. I just had no energy from the start and struggled constantly - I don't know why because last Sunday I was on top form in my training.

The only criticism I have was poor marking for the left turn to Kirby Hill. It's a fast descent and easily missed, plus I wear yellow glasses in bad conditions and the signs look very faded and dull with them on. Yeah, you guessed it, I missed the junction as well as some others.

Apart from that, the Richmond club should be proud of a great event. Thanks guys, I'll be back next year.....with a new better bike :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • amaferanga
    Yep, weather was nowhere near as bad as predicted. I got by with just a gilet and arm warmers - didn't wear my waterproof though I did have it with me.

This is a SUPERB sportive. The route is amazing, the organisation was spot-on, food stops were really well stocked with flapjacks, sausage rolls and bananas, signage was really good (no problems for me). Then a bite to eat at the end. If only all sportives were as good. IMO this is an absolute bargain at only £15.

I came in well under my target time of 6 hours so I'm extremely happy :D
  • Climber_Andy
    Climber_Andy Posts: 852
    Dressed just about perfectly for it. As already mentioned, Noah-flood-quantities of rain did not occur; only in the last hour or so did it get a bit wet.

Lots of friendly people too, some great scenery. As a newcomer to the Dales, some cracking descents too - that one down to Nateby off the third climb must have been at least 40mph too. Touched my brakes, got a little speed wobble on and decided to just stay off them!

Got into some good groups on the rolling sections, notably on the way to Hawes and the first chunk of the way back. A bit over-zealous with the last 27 miles, so was really knackered, and therefore pleased to see the '1km to go' sign...

Ditto the above - excellent sportive: £15, good atmosphere and food. Although personally I'm never keen for a sausage roll when cycling...

Sneaked under the 6 hour mark too which was on a bonus, seeing as illness messed up my breathing on the day.
  • rolf_f
    Lots of friendly people too, some great scenery. As a newcomer to the Dales, some cracking descents too - that one down to Nateby off the third climb must have been at least 40mph too. Touched my brakes, got a little speed wobble on and decided to just stay off them!

That descent was fab! My computer recorded 49.95 - twice! Dammit!!

Weather was mostly OK but I think the ones starting earlier and doing the shorter routes had a much easier time. I was at Hawes at 1pm and the weather was fine so I could hardly bail on Fleet Moss and Park Rash. Fleet Moss was fine enough but the weather started getting a bit wet on the descent into Wharfedale. That and the headwinds made the run to Kettlewell tougher than it could have been. Have to admit Park Rash was bonkers! My first sight of it was when a car was coming down it and I swear it looked like a 1 in 1. Nice touch whoever painted, as you got higher and higher, the smiley, less smiley, sad and miserable faces on the road though :lol:

The long run back was the hardest bit though - aside from a nasty hidden 1 in 4 climb, there were loads of climbs followed by fast and very wet sections. By the time I got back to the school, I was frozen. MY sealskins were full of water, my hands were shaking and I could barely tie my shoelaces. And I missed a silver time by 4 minutes :lol: (7:04 - 6:45 pedalling time).

I'm still knackered! Far harder than the Keswick Challenge last week.

Plus one for well organised and very good feed stations.
  • amaferanga
    I started early (8:20) cos the weather was good and I figured it was only going to get worse. Downside of that was that there weren't that many cyclists ahead of me and I spent most of the ride on my own.

Official times are now up on the website so you can see how you faired. I know it wasn't a race, but I was 7th which I'm extremely pleased about :D
  • rolf_f
    amaferanga wrote:
    I started early (8:20) cos the weather was good and I figured it was only going to get worse. Downside of that was that there weren't that many cyclists ahead of me and I spent most of the ride on my own.

Official times are now up on the website so you can see how you faired. I know it wasn't a race, but I was 7th which I'm extremely pleased about :D

Everyone spread out anyway - I was on my own except from Mallerstang to Hawes when I decided I wouldn't let Clayton Velo get away :lol:
  • Brian B
    Sounds like the weather was not as bad as predicted and all had a good time. Taking a week off work to go cycling soon and may fit in a run to the Dales then. I have good luck recently in other sportives and cannot always be that lucky.

I would like to have tested out my fitness though as I got a good time in the Fred recently and would liked to have tried my best on this one as well. Have done all the climbs on the route and they are hard!!

Is there any other sportives in the Dales's this year. Saw the 3 counties and fancy that buts it not the same as a day in the Dales.

Good time there amaferanga and good going with the arm warmers. Glad the weather turned out better than expected :lol:

I agree that its top value for money though from what I saw last year
    Brian B.
  • hugo15
    I ended up bailing out of the 100 and doing the 80. Just didn't have the legs today and the head wind over Mallerstang sapped the little bit of energy I did have.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Brian B wrote:
    Is there any other sportives in the Dales's this year. Saw the 3 counties and fancy that buts it not the same as a day in the Dales.

Brian....White Rose Classic....revamped....18th July....probably the toughest in the Dales.

Coal Road, Kingsdale, Park Rash, Redmire, Tan Hill, Buttertubs.

http://www.kbtc.co.uk/white-rose-classic/
  • Brian B
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Brian B wrote:

Brian....White Rose Classic....revamped....18th July....probably the toughest in the Dales.

Coal Road, Kingsdale, Park Rash, Redmire, Tan Hill, Buttertubs.

http://www.kbtc.co.uk/white-rose-classic/

Cheers Bro - That sounds just the ticket
    Brian B.
  • bs147
    I also did the 80 but thoroughly enjoyed the route/countryside. I wasn't quick (dead legs from The Stang onwards) and rode virtually the whole route by myself - the headwind was a sapper!

I have to echo the words of previous posters - top organisation, feedstations, post ride food, etc, etc. Best event I've done for ages at a great price - thanks to the Richmond team!
  • muffin top
    muffin top Posts: 78
    Er, .... that was quite nice.

Great route (I love the bleak, oh so bleak, moor tops).
    Challenging weather.

Unlike some on here, I really caught a lot of rain. After Hawes it was proper rain, roads running wet, shoes full. I started late and rode slowly, so was still out after 3pm. Oh hum.

Well organised, great value. Well done to RCC. A big, BIG thank you to all involved in running this event.

I thought the new finish was a big improvement too.

Bit of a moan: I did see quite a few gel wrappers. (I was one of the last riders round, so I probably saw them all.) I hope these were accidently dropped out of pockets ... but if not, to those who dumped them: you should be ashamed - what would your mother say? (I'll assume the dicarded slice of pizza and box, on the climb to Tan Hill, weren't dropped by a cyclist, but eh if it gets you up the hills ....)
    I should get out more (on the bike)
  • bs147
    (I'll assume the dicarded slice of pizza and box, on the climb to Tan Hill, weren't dropped by a cyclist, but eh if it gets you up the hills ....)

I saw that too - I was momentarily tempted (I must have been low!).

There was also a huge amount of road kill on the route - including the unfortunate sheep between The Stang and Tan Hill. No cyclists to blame there at least, though a rabbit attempted road crossing suicide in front of me just before The Stang - attempt failed though I think I must have nearly flat spotted my rear Conti in avoidance![/quote]
  • BaildonBob
    BaildonBob Posts: 20
    Well run and good value event again. The weather turned out better than forecast, main problems were wind and jaywalking sheep. The new finish outside town was a major improvement.

Nice touch from the Town Council to turn up for a bit at the end and thank people for coming along.

Thanks to everyone who kicked off early and left plenty behind at the feeds for us stragglers, extra sausage rolls and flapjack at then end went down a treat after the meal from Barries snack wagon.
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Not forgetting the Gypsy exodus as well, that was a bit bizarre.
  • rolf_f
    muffin top wrote:
    Bit of a moan: I did see quite a few gel wrappers. (I was one of the last riders round, so I probably saw them all.) I hope these were accidently dropped out of pockets ... but if not, to those who dumped them: you should be ashamed - what would your mother say? (I'll assume the dicarded slice of pizza and box, on the climb to Tan Hill, weren't dropped by a cyclist, but eh if it gets you up the hills ....)

Plus one on that. Also there was some pretty terrible riding - people just pulling off from the road side into traffic without looking, cutting in, wobbling about at random (not always on the steep bits), riding in the middle of the road for the sheer joy of it. A small minority but bothersome all the same.