Training in the small ring.

chaffordred
chaffordred Posts: 131
I have been told that the benefits of training in the small ring far outweigh that of training in the big ring.

The way it was explained to me was that by training in the small ring you aren't destroying your leg muscles and because the muscles work like a pumping action you can develop the fast twitch muscles which are very beneficial in a race where you are constantly applying the power on and off. It is also supposed to teach your legs to spin quicke rto get a more optimum cadence. I was told to use the big ring for TT's and races only.

It was suggested that if I train in the small ring only for three weeks I will start to see the benefits in races and TT's.

I went out for a solo ride today and small ringed it round a 56 mile route. My average was down by approximately 1.5 MPH, but my cadence was approximately 15 rpm higher.

Does anyone else use this method for training or have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Alex_Simmons/RST
    Alex_Simmons/RST Posts: 4,161
    Does anyone else <snip> have any thoughts on this?
    Yes. It's a load of tripe.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    + 1 load of bollocks.
    Also you cannot develop fast twict fibres your born with them.
  • RoadieBob
    RoadieBob Posts: 48
    Does anyone else <snip> have any thoughts on this?
    Yes. It's a load of tripe.

Indeed. Anyone who's ever raced would be able to tell you that mincing around in the small ring for three weeks won't get you anywhere, other than off the back.
  • NA323232
    NA323232 Posts: 6
    To go fast in a race, you have to have trained in big enough gears to have the necessary leg strength, otherwise you will just be spinning out trying to keep up on the hills/sudden accelerations, unable to push a big enough gear to keep up!
  • ArroyoDave
    ArroyoDave Posts: 49
    Perhaps you all should tell the pro teams not to spend time in the small ring!

I have spent 5hr+ with a spanish team spinning in the small ring in the the pre season/winter and of course we all know the spanish teams are sh*t........................not!
    Myprotein referral code mp288135 (get money off)
  • RoadieBob
    ArroyoDave wrote:
    Perhaps you all should tell the pro teams not to spend time in the small ring!

I have spent 5hr+ with a spanish team spinning in the small ring in the the pre season/winter and of course we all know the spanish teams are sh*t........................not!

What was the objective of the ride though? Were they trying not to 'destroy their leg muscles'? 'Develop the fast twitch muscles' because the muscles 'work like a pumping action'? Do they 'use the big ring for TTs and races only'? Did you actually read the original post?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The only time I try and stay in the small ring is on a recovery ride, purely so I'm not tempted to go any harder.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Small ring? What's one of those, whereabouts on my bike would I find it?
  • chaffordred
    Thanks for the input. Back to big ring riding it is then.....

BTW ArroyoDave I was also told a lot of pro teams use the small ring for training. Not sure if this is true? Could just be for recovery rides?
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I'm not making any judgements, but the fact that he kept up with them on a training ride, suggests they weren't going very hard, or it was an awfully flat ride.

Small ring = good for going up hills in.
    Slow/Fast twitch stuff = rubbish.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    NA323232 wrote:
    To go fast in a race, you have to have trained in big enough gears to have the necessary leg strength, otherwise you will just be spinning out trying to keep up on the hills/sudden accelerations, unable to push a big enough gear to keep up!

No, that's also bollocks, no point trying to mash gears all the time. I have no problem keeping up spinning fast, indeed I often spin off the front.

Your preferred cadence is likely the best, although at higher cadences you will be able to react fractionally faster to attacks - adjusting force is a little easier when you're pushing down 90 times a minute rather than 60.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    I don't agree with a few comments here. You can most definetly have a very hard workout in the "small ring". Really turning the pedals in a 39x11, you can sit at ~23mph on the flat. This is far more beneficial that grinding a 53 ring all day.
    In a race you'll find yourself spinning the big ring with little effort, so the comment that he won't have the leg power to ride the big ring in a race is rubbish.

Although, all that destroying muscle rubbish is just that, getting better obviously requires primary fibre breakdown.
  • Alex_Simmons/RST
    Alex_Simmons/RST Posts: 4,161
    Thanks for the input. Back to big ring riding it is then.....
    No one said that either.

Focus on effort level and choose a gear that feels good. It's the power you are putting out that matters, not the gear.

Besides, a 39x13 or a 42x14 is bigger gear than a 53x18.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    get some steroids and forget about the gearing.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I was once told that a good way to go about it was to get to a high cadence that you are comfortable with in one gear, then up the gear and get used to riding that gear at the same cadence, then up the gear.....and keep going with the theoretical aim of one day maintaining a high cadence in your higest gear comfortbly.

As for whether it works or not.......I haven't got a clue. I just ride.
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    edited May 2010
    i train in the small ring 50x21,i also eat 4 weatabix for breakfast.(50x55)
    going downhill slowly
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Vino2007 wrote:
    I don't agree with a few comments here. You can most definetly have a very hard workout in the "small ring". Really turning the pedals in a 39x11, you can sit at ~23mph on the flat. This is far more beneficial that grinding a 53 ring all day.
    In a race you'll find yourself spinning the big ring with little effort, so the comment that he won't have the leg power to ride the big ring in a race is rubbish.quote]

Eek how long do your chains last?!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Vino2007 wrote:
    In a race you'll find yourself spinning the big ring with little effort, so the comment that he won't have the leg power to ride the big ring in a race is rubbish.

Eek how long do your chains last?!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • chaffordred
    I'm confused now. I've Just been watching Eurosport (Giro d'Italia) and the commentary team just said David Martin (Garmin) only trains in the small ring.

So if pro's do it, surely there must be something in it?
  • RoadieBob
    I'm confused now. I've Just been watching Eurosport (Giro d'Italia) and the commentary team just said David Martin (Garmin) only trains in the small ring.

I find that hard to believe, but then I'm no coach or pro rider... Does this mean that he never pedals down any fairly steep hill? He must have to pedal a crazy cadence when they're practicing sprint leadouts!

Bear in mind it isn't unheard of for commentators to talk rubbish. Finally I believe you mean Dan Martin, not David.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    RoadieBob wrote:

I find that hard to believe, but then I'm no coach or pro rider... Does this mean that he never pedals down any fairly steep hill? He must have to pedal a crazy cadence when they're practicing sprint leadouts!

Bear in mind it isn't unheard of for commentators to talk rubbish. Finally I believe you mean Dan Martin, not David.

Probably meant Dean Martin. Which would explain a lot. :roll:
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513

I bet he's popular when the squad is out training for the team time trial.....
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Vino2007 wrote:

Although, all that destroying muscle rubbish is just that, getting better obviously requires primary fibre breakdown.

Why on earth would you use a 39 x 11? That gear will wear your chain due to deflection angle and probably wear on front changer.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Vino2007 wrote:

Why on earth would you use a 39 x 11? That gear will wear your chain due to deflection angle and probably wear on front changer.

A bigger question is why is cycling 39x11 more beneficial than "grinding" in the 53 ring, when any sprocket 15T and bigger used in conjunction with the 53t is actually a smaller gear than 39-11.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    knackred and fu*ked on a daily basis
    going downhill slowly
  • giantsasquatch
    giantsasquatch Posts: 381
    edited June 2010
    I have been told that the benefits of training in the small ring far outweigh that of training in the big ring.

You were told RIGHT. Those who said it's tripe like the coach don't spin train hard enough or don't get it.

SPINNING HARD and FAST in SMALL RING is harder than slow mashing BIG RING! Your using up more overall energy.

Training in the small ring at a higher cadence will develop your cardiovascular system quicker and better, and at the same time, develop your muscles good. That's if you select a optimum hard enough gear, still being able to spin fast.

Cycling in the small ring will develop good cardiovascular and muscle at the SAME TIME, that's if you SPIN FAST and HARD!

If you just mash hard in a big ring, you develop muscle, strength and endurance with a slower development rate of efficiency and cardiovascular.

Incidentally, Why do you think cyclists who used to run before they took up cycling, make good cyclists? Because they developed a good highly trained cardiovascular.

It's harder training. Do it every alternate day. On the off days in between, spin easy.

Do what i tell you and you will maximize your training time and reach your potential at a faster rate.
  • NA323232 wrote:

Yes and you can train with big gears on the small ring.
  • These are the same speed.

34/11 at 95RPM is 34MPH (120 gear inches)

53/11 at 89RPM

If they both trained in there own style of cadence training, who will get knackered first?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    These are the same speed.

34/11 at 95RPM is 34MPH (120 gear inches)

53/11 at 89RPM

If they both trained in there own style of cadence training, who will get knackered first?

So you're assuming the use of a Compact chainset, for the 'small' ring example, and Standard chainset for the 'big' ring example...!

Which is best?...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Mistake calculation, which was for 50 not 34. I try again with a better example, higher cadence for flat road.

Both = 23MPH.

34/11 (82 gear inches) @ 103 RPM

53/11 (128 gear inches) @ 85RPM