Accident advice please - London Taxi - cyclist doored

2»

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Zachariah wrote:

True, it's a good time to have the bikini state cranked up to black special, but I wouldn't say it's enough to put the OP at fault in any way.

You or a family member aren't in the military, are you? Not many civvies know the level names to use in daily talk.

(I'm not, I only know them due to a disasterous spell in the territorials)

I`m pretty certain she`s a spy. The cycling thing is all part of her cover.

I`m obviously on to something, hence the silence
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    W1 wrote:
    In answer to the question, get proper legal advice. But there is a useful case - Edelman v Harcott

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/vie ... 3d86a89783

Google is your friend.

that seems pretty cut and dried then. the cab driver can be held liable for the allowing the passenger to open their door in a place which is unsafe.

Have a hard time arguing that 4' away from the kerb/curb/kurb/whateva in the general flow of traffic in a busy london street is a particularly safe place to drop someone off.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    antfly wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:

True, it's a good time to have the bikini state cranked up to black special, but I wouldn't say it's enough to put the OP at fault in any way.

You or a family member aren't in the military, are you? Not many civvies know the level names to use in daily talk.

You know, I've often thought I'd be a good spy. I'm so outgoing and not-blendy-inny (and excellent with words) that I'd be the last person anyone would suspect.

I'm actually in Real Estate.

.............................Or am I?

:twisted:
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    FIrstly, bad luck on the accident.

I would think the cab driver has some sort of duty of care to ensure that passenger alight safely. Dropping someone off when you're 4 ft from the curb doesn't sound all that conscientous. A few seconds later and the passenger would have been in the firing line too. That's one of the reasons why buses are not allowed (er, not supposed to) drop people off between stops.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    antfly wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:

You know, I've often thought I'd be a good spy. I'm so outgoing and not-blendy-inny (and excellent with words) that I'd be the last person anyone would suspect.

I'm in real estate too.
    Ok, I'm at home :-)

At the risk of showing my age, when did Black Alpha become Black Special?
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015

And how are you at bad puns, explosions, and charming women? :)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    antfly wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:

but surely, if you tell us, you will have to keeellllll us?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Sorry to hear about what happened. Good luck trying to get something done about it though :(
    MJLowry wrote:
    There are 2 yellow lines where it happened and a no loading sign, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-yellow_line therefore the taxi driver is guilty on this count alone
    Are taxis not allowed to drop off in no loading areas? 50% of the stationary taxis I see around here are in no loading areas (usually reading the newspaper).
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    rml380z wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:

I'm in real estate too.
    Ok, I'm at home :-)

At the risk of showing my age, when did Black Alpha become Black Special?

Don;t know about the alpha change, but black special etc hasen't been used for a while now (probably for 5 years?).

Currenty it is normal, heightened and exceptional.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Mr_Cellophane
    Mr_Cellophane Posts: 690
    There are a lot of Duche Bank offices in London Wall. Was it here ?