Scouts

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
So - I've been roped in to do an evening talking to the Scouts about bikes, being the only bicyclist in the village.

I've got an outline plan - discuss different bicycle types, how they differ, the basics mechanically, how to look after a bike, how to mend a puncture, how to fall off gracefully etc. I'm not going to touch on helmets as it's not my job to dissuade the little oiks from wearing them.

I've got roughly a couple of hours to fill. Suggestions invited on topics that could generate healthy discussion, and how to keep it interesting? Ta.

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    CiB wrote:
    So - I've been roped in to do an evening talking to the Scouts about bikes, being the only bicyclist in the village.

I've got an outline plan - discuss different bicycle types, how they differ, the basics mechanically, how to look after a bike, how to mend a puncture, how to fall off gracefully etc. I'm not going to touch on helmets as it's not my job to dissuade the little oiks from wearing them.

I've got roughly a couple of hours to fill. Suggestions invited on topics that could generate healthy discussion, and how to keep it interesting? Ta.

Might want to talk about touring- how a bike can take you around the county/country/world (mention Mark Beaumont...?). Bring in the NCN, if you think parents might get jumpy about using roads. Camping/YHA/independent hostels.

Cheers,
    W.
  • CiB wrote:
    the only bicyclist in the village.

Great, now I have a mental image of you looking just like Matt Lucas in lycra.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Could always bring in a laptop and start off reading the SCR thread.....shame you only have 2 hours :-)

Also are the kids bringing their own bikes in? If so it might be interesting to make up a little mini obstacle course for them to practice riding skills on with cones to ride round, poles to ride under etc. Of course that's all dependent on equipment/space being available at the place that it's run at.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    Assuming boys are as competitive as men, some sort of competition - either obstacle course, as BJUK suggests, or a change a puncture quickest competition? Even mundane tasks become more interesting if there's an element of competition, I found.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    At the London Skyride the obstacle course they ran there basically consisted of a slalom of cones, about 3 limbo bars that got progressively lower and a little test of low speed/single hand control as you picked a bottle up from one point and dropped it on a box at the other.

Of course you could always mock up a fake road with junction to demonstrate good road craft as well :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • CiB
    Good points - keep em coming. There isn't space for them to bring their bikes, the idea is for them to earn their cycle maintenance badges so it's more to do with me demoing bike maintenance rather than setting up slaloms etc.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Ah... bike maintenance. NOW he says ;)

Lubes / cleaning / adjusting

Brakes / punctures / cables / tyres

Saddle / handlebar adjustment

Essential kit to own, yeah include the helmet - whether or not you agree with it, the PC brigade will insist upon it
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    CiB wrote:
    Good points - keep em coming. There isn't space for them to bring their bikes, the idea is for them to earn their cycle maintenance badges so it's more to do with me demoing bike maintenance rather than setting up slaloms etc.

Might be worth bringing in as many wheels and tyre levers as you can find, so they can all actually have a go at taking out & replacing an inner tube. If you've only got one or two wheels for them to have a go on it could take a while (depending on how many Scouts there are).

Other common maintenance tasks would include changing brake pads or adjusting brakes when pads have worn down (or disc pads). It might be worth covering adjustment as well, e.g. how to make sure a saddle is level/in the right position/at the right height - something they might need to change often if they're growing rapidly.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    take a look here: http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/badges/scout-activity-cy.htm For the 10 to 14 age group (Scouts)

http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/badges/cub-activity-cy.htm for the 8 to 10 age group (Cubs)

Try and fit your talk around the requirements of the cyclist badge which is no doubt what they are working towards

scoutbase has a wealth of information with regards to how their balanced programme works, so take a look as it will give you an idea of where to go. :)
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    CiB wrote:
    and how to keep it interesting? Ta.

Make sure you are a mountainbiker or trials rider, then discuss that :wink:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    CiB wrote:

Discuss how to calculate FCN, the rules of The Game, and how they're obliged to overtake at every opportunity.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you shared your location you may get offers of help.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    strip and rebuild an old SA 3-speed hub?

TBH i'd just show them puncture repairs and then a basic service, so brakes, gears and headsets. Make sure you do v-brakes, cantis, caliper, mech disc and hydro disc. You only really need to do one type of gears though, as the basic principle is the same.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Orrr... given as it's you.

Introduce them to SC Stats. They qualify for the badge if they can get into, say, the top 20.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Make sure you give a good overview on bike safety. If the kids can go home to mum and dad and explain that they learned how to take primary and not undertake lorries and stop at red lights etc. etc., mum and dad will be that much more likely to let them cycle.

I wouldn't give them wheels to change - unless you happen to have several where the wheel is beautifully loose and easy to get off and on. Otherwise it'll be a load of frustrated kids and you trying not to swear as you bark your knuckles and break your levers.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Aidy wrote:
    Orrr... given as it's you.

Introduce them to SC Stats. They qualify for the badge if they can get into, say, the top 20.

excellent a 10-13 year old crushing MonkeyMonsters mileage :lol:

Explain all the parts of a bike to them, ask them question later

might be worth bringing a mtb and a road bike in (maybe even a fixed as they're growing in popularity) and explaining the differences
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Clever Pun wrote:

A tad harsh isn't it? :lol:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

A tad harsh isn't it? :lol:

Harsh? maybe... fair..certainly
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Personally, I'd go with the mending a puncture idea. If you can get enough wheels to try on. Also, if they're anything like the kids I see round here, their bikes will be from Halford's and the chain will come off every time they change gear. The number of Mum's on the walk to school along Porto Prom who I've heard saying, "How many times have I told you not to change gears" as they're trying to get the kid's chain back on is astonishing.

Adjusting a rear mech is relatively easy, once you know how. Maybe print out a take-home sheet for them to go through with their Dads?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Offer to organise a race, then take part and cruelly drop them all before disappearing over the horizon never to be seen again...
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Essential kit to own, yeah include the helmet - whether or not you agree with it, the PC brigade will insist upon it

Let 'em. Make it clear that it's needed to keep nanny happy, and that it's a lot more use off-road for headbutting trees than on-road for headbutting double-deckers...

Cheers,
    W.
  • CiB wrote:

In his Swiss TT Champion skin suit...

27088.JPG
  • CiB wrote:

27088.JPG

:shock: He's not wearing a helmet! :lol:
  • NGale
    CiB wrote:

27088.JPG

I am now quite disturbed :shock: :shock: :lol:
  • CiB wrote:
    how to keep it interesting? Ta.

Show them some of your war wounds and scars. It would help if you had some fresh road rash so, depending on how dedicated and committed you are, you may need to go out and get some! Something freshly scabbed over would go down nicely. :lol:
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Remember this is the Scouts - a movement with a not dissimilar repuattion to the Catholic church - therefore best not show them your scars or mention lube, pumping, bonking or your big ring. Or helmets
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • CiB
    Cheers all - that's not bad for a morning's effort; 26 replies, one or two of them close to being usable. :) The link to the Scouts page was what I was after last night but couldn't find it, so thanks for sticking that up there.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    how to set the bike up properly; saddle height, back and front adjustment etc
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    When I was in the Scouts in the dim and distant we used to do things called cycle hikes - basically short distance touring and camping - we go done for cheating because one kid used to bring his dads butchers bike and we'd pile all the kit into the front basket
  • NGale
    When I was in the Scouts in the dim and distant we used to do things called cycle hikes - basically short distance touring and camping - we go done for cheating because one kid used to bring his dads butchers bike and we'd pile all the kit into the front basket

ahhhh so back when God was a boy then :wink::lol: