Backpack or Other?

egg-banjo
egg-banjo Posts: 34
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Do you guys put all your gear in a back pack when out on a ride?, or do you manage to fit your spare tube and stuff into one of those seat post bag things?, what do you use/prefer?

Im about to buy a bike and am just wondering what the done thing is on carrying your bits and bobs, thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    camelback Mule or classic. depending on where and whet.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Just a normal backpack that has nice padded shoulder straps. Don't know what the big deal is with these camelbacks. A bags as a bag as long as it fits your gear and is comfortable.
  • egg-banjo
    Thanks guys, some sort of backpack it is then, wasnt sure if having something on your back was the way to go, but i suppose anybody would struggle to get their kit into one of those saddle/seatpost bags, thanks again.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Struggle to get a pump in let alone the other necessities :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just a normal backpack that has nice padded shoulder straps. Don't know what the big deal is with these camelbacks. A bags as a bag as long as it fits your gear and is comfortable.
    The bladder that carries a hell of a lot of water is the "big deal"
    Apart from that, I've found that camelback type rucksaks tend to stay very firmly on your back, without moving around at all.
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    The bladder that carries a hell of a lot of water is the "big deal"
    Apart from that, I've found that camelback type rucksaks tend to stay very firmly on your back, without moving around at all.

Seconded. Most things that are designed for a specific purpose and generally going to be better suited to the job in hand. Hours and hours and pounds and pounds of research go into these things. Coming from a design background I know how important this is.

As with nick, Camelbak Mule for me.
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I use a Camelback Flashflo without the bladder (and a bottle of water instead) for short rides. Camelback Mule for long rides.
  • TheRevOlutionary
    TheRevOlutionary Posts: 1,176
    Lezyne Smartpack for me. Comes with some kit and all the pockets for it, a 2/3ltr bladder and some more room for your ipod and sandwiches :wink:
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

A day where you don't learn something is a waste...
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Camelbak Chaos for me, very comfy and fits tight.

Gets smacked in the back of the head on landings gets annoying very quickly.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    I use a Osprey Raptor 10. Has a 3L bladder and plenty of room for all the essentials without being too big. Fits very well on the back too.
  • Oxygen Thief
    How much water does it hold? How much water do you lot consume on a long ride? Or even what constitutes a long ride?

When I was running I wouldn't even start drinking until the hour mark. Running is a lot more strenuous than riding a bike. So on a bike I don't touch drop until about 2hrs unless it's hot. I usually take a water bottle full of water and two lucozade sports but I rarely come back with them empty.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    ive just bought a Camelbak Chaos
    enough room to carry food and a jacket
    hydration will be pretty important for me as ill be cycling from work to the gym
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    How much water does it hold? How much water do you lot consume on a long ride? Or even what constitutes a long ride?

When I was running I wouldn't even start drinking until the hour mark. Running is a lot more strenuous than riding a bike. So on a bike I don't touch drop until about 2hrs unless it's hot. I usually take a water bottle full of water and two lucozade sports but I rarely come back with them empty.

1.5 or 2.0 litres usually, bigger ones are available.

I rarely drink all mine, but if we're doing full day riding in the Alps we're refilling them at least once during the day.

"Running is a lot more strenuous than riding a bike" That's a bold, broad statement to make, you're doing a lot more than just cycling your legs when you're riding, especially on tougher terrain.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    depends how fast/hard you run as well

i do quite a lot of running, and TBH im finding cycling much harder (i am out of cycling shape tho)
  • Oxygen Thief
    Ride hundred metres on a bike then run the same hundred metres, more claories burnt whilst running so it's more strenuos. Obviously though most people don't run up mountains like people ride bikes but I used to. Obviously not as far. But I'd come back from running having used a shed load more energy than riding a bike for hours up a mountain.

I jsut think those camelbacks are massive! Could fit a tent in there. Do they give your back good ventialtion 'coz that's what I'm looking for at the moment, I don't need to 2Ls of water unless I'm riding a long long way which i don't plan on doing so the res is irrelevant but i could be tempted by a small camelback if it's back ventilation is good?

Cheers
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    It's best to drink small amounts frequently rather than larger amounts infrequently. If you're not drinking anything for 2 hours the chances are that you've already begun dehydrating by then and no amount of fluid intake for the rest of your ride will rehydrate you properly. I can easily drink 3L on a long 5-6 hour ride.
  • Anonymous
    Also, cyclicsts, or mountain bikers in particular, are apparently well known to not take in enough fluids.
  • Oxygen Thief
    hard-rider wrote:
    It's best to drink small amounts frequently rather than larger amounts infrequently. If you're not drinking anything for 2 hours the chances are that you've already begun dehydrating by then and no amount of fluid intake for the rest of your ride will rehydrate you properly. I can easily drink 3L on a long 5-6 hour ride.

Each to their own really, granted there's probably optimum ways to keep yourself hydrated for optimum performance. But I'm no athlete and don't really see the point. I know when I was a kid I'd be out for pretty much half the day on a bike and never even carry a water bottle. The body can take a lot more than these scientists try to make out. Lucozzade makes you last 33% longer, yes of course it does! All in the head boy bach.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Old fashioned here, couple of water bottles in cages and a seatpost bag. Pump clips to tubes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553

as an example.... we recently did a ride from Bridge of Orchy to Oban via glencoe, the Laraig Eilde (in my top ten descents), down to bonawe, along to Connel, then Oban.

55 miles in total, some of which was hikeabike (Rannoch Moor), we took about 10 hours, with a fiar bit of stopping for a lark about at some interesting rock features, taking photos, eating etc.....

very difficult technical terrain (some more so than any manmade track i have ever ridden....)

3 litres of water was very very required let me tell thee.

oh.

some pics of that day..

roundtheglen.jpg
    rivercrossingcopy.jpg
    awesomedescent.jpg
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    hard-rider wrote:

Each to their own really, granted there's probably optimum ways to keep yourself hydrated for optimum performance. But I'm no athlete and don't really see the point. I know when I was a kid I'd be out for pretty much half the day on a bike and never even carry a water bottle. The body can take a lot more than these scientists try to make out. Lucozzade makes you last 33% longer, yes of course it does! All in the head boy bach.

It does sound like you have all the answers so why do you need to ask the questions ?

You are right run 100m and then ride the same 100m at the same speed and it uses less energy. Bikes are faster than running and i ride alot farther than most will ever run in one go... on a road bike 23 miles in and i have just hit my stride.

For a long ride i would say that anything over 40 miles on the road and anything over 15-20 miles off road. Efforts of 4-6 hours are a normal weekend ride. Rideing for that long you need to drink. Waiting 2 hours and then blasking down 1l of water does not cut it. Small drink every 15min keeps you going along no problems. I normaly like to have 750ml every hour or so. along with a few slices of maltloaf. Haveing a Bladder means that grabbing a drink every 15 min is easy. You dont need the largest bag every time you ride but if you are planning a full day on snowden rideing you are wanting

first aid kit
    pleanty of water
    food
    phone
    Repair kit for common breakdowns.
    Warm cloathing. and a reflective blanket.
    whistle
    map
    compass

minimum or you could get in to alot of trouble.
    you are going to need a bag to fit that lot in and it does take more space than you think.
    Im not saying rideing is harder than running im just saying its different you cant alsways say in running i can do this so on a bike i can do this.

Have a read its not all about energy drinks.

http://www.cptips.com/fluids.htm
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Red Route
    Red Route Posts: 59
    If I'm on a longish ride (half a day) I'll just take a bottle in the fitted cage, & just have saddle Bag which just fits in some energy/flapjack Bars, my phone, innertube.
    I also use the 3 pockets at the back of my top for a waterproof jacket, Sunglasses, a Roll/Bap/Cob & anything else that fits & eat just before I set off as I don't want to carry anything.
    Sometimes might stop for food & drink if we find anywhere en-route.

Agree the stuff is designed for it's purpose & does it's job, can't see the need for a rucksack etc... unless I suppose you're planning on camping or staying out all day?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I managed to dehydrate myself enough to suffer leg cramps in a bit under an hour and a half of racing at the weekend... Very easily done if you're not paying attention. Camelbaks are also very convenient to drink from, just grab the hose and suck, no fannying about with bottle cages etc.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • egg-banjo
    Are those camelbaks easy to clean?, i mean the bit that holds the water?, i bought my bike today, pick it up on Sunday, so will need to start thinking about what accessories i need, maybe a camelbak which will do all jobs (carry water and my tools), one back pack which will carry my tools and a water bottle on the frame, or a wedgie under the seat small bag which will hold a tube and stuff with water on the frame and a pump on the frame.
  • Anonymous
    Don;t bother with an under saddle "wedgie" it will fall off at some point, and sod's law it will be just when you need it.

Camelbaks are easy enough to clean, just let them soak in the kitchen sink with some Milton baby bottle cleaning formula.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    To be honest I've not cleaned mine ever, and I've had it for years. Not killed me yet :)

As for hydration, I rarely drink in the first hour or so of a ride but after that I take a lot of little drinks to keep me topped up. If you don't, you're either not making much of an effort, on a short ride or are about to have a "problem". Personally I'd rather not start to feel deydrated on the furthest part of a 5 hour ride.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    a big karrimor wind 25 backpack with a 3 litre bladder in it, then i can carry all my bits and pieces in comfort, quite a hefty size for biking but its comfy
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    On longer rides, a Rockrider Water bag with a Camelbak bladder. Pretty cheap at the time (25€), very confortable, enough straps to keep it in place and carries a lot of gear.

On shorter rides a camelbak Rogue to carry water and essentials.

I gave up on seat bags when I started loosing stuff, the zipper opens with the vibrations...

Just last week my mate lost his cell phone that way.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    Camelbak Hawg for longer rides, Camelbak Lobo for short blasts. Both good, just one smaller/lighter than the other. As has been said above, the under saddle packs have a habit of coming open and dropping stuff - which you rarely notice until some time afterwards :(
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DomWint
    DomWint Posts: 59
    bentes wrote:
    Just last week my mate lost his cell phone that way.

*makes mental note to put phone elsewhere*

Are Camelbaks the only game in town as far as hydration, or is it worth risking one of the cheaper imitations? £50-60 minimum seems awfully steep. Bike tax?