Water bottles

2»

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    The main reason I don't use a camelbak is they are (were possibly I haven't had one since the original one in the 90's) a PITA to clean, mine used to spend most of the time with things growing in it and then was when I lived at home and my mom did everything for me.

I'm slack enough at washing bottles.

And before anyone mentions keeping it in the freezer you need to speak to mrs prawny, good luck with that.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    another reason, it would mean my expensive carbon bottle cages were redundant.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    spasypaddy wrote:

this is the most important reason
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    I drink a lot of water, basically if it's there it will be gone by the time i get home, even on a 30 mile ride i can get through 2 litres.

one guy at the club does 60 odd miles without drinking a thing, no idea how he manages it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Now we're getting down to the real issues here :wink:

@Prawny - if you only ever put water in the 'bladder' jobbie and pour out what you haven't used within a day or two, there's never a problem with new life forms evolving in there - not for me anyway. I just hang mine in the garage with the top off and open end hanging downwards: job done :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    If it's cold and I'm going for a bimble, I'll put some coffee in my thermal cycle bottle thingy.

If it's warn and I'm going for a bimble, cold drink in a bottle.

Large distance and / or big effort I go for my CamelBak.

I can't see the point in worrying about what other people think, just use what you want.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Whats wrong with two cages in the frame?
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Dav1 wrote:
    Whats wrong with two cages in the frame?

Nothing, its what i use. I don't like weight on my back especially when climbing.

Horses for courses init.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    For longer rides I can only envisage putting up with the inconvenience of a bag full of liquid on my back if my bottles keep coming out of their cages when the road gets bumpy.

As they don't, and are cheaper, simpler and easier to clean, I'll stick with bottles thanks.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    the problem of jumping bottles can be mostly solved by squashing the cages a bit so that the bottles are more tightly held in
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Tis funny, I've always wanted my bike to be as light as possible with any extra - food, water, panniers contents etc on my back instead. I know how the bike handles when its always the same weight and I can adjust my riding to cope with my weight differences on the fly much easier.

Haven't bothered with bottles for years - camelback all the way. The newer ones make cleaning really easy. Distribution of weight with all the straps and clips is quite easily sorted. But as someone else said I haven't felt the need to hydrate so far on any ride. If I am doing an extended RP route home I might need to put a bit of water in it especially as it seems like (touch wood) that it is starting to get properly warm...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Since when did "drinking" become "hydrating"

What do you put in your bottles? "Aqua" I suppose.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I think we've established that a Camelbak isn't "a big no-no" on a road bike, at least. It's a matter of preference, and there's essentially no reason not to use one if that's what you want to do.

Yes, you may be looked down upon by the local road club, but that's all part of being an elitist jerk.

Personally, I use a bottle. =)

As for keeping the bladder clean, I think a combination of the occasional sterilising tablet, and keeping it in the freezer when not in use works well enough.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im an elitist jerk in mindset

shame my riding isnt quite up to it
    :lol:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    will3 wrote:

Are you crazy? Aqua? You need an isotonic hydration fluid of some kind.

I have a camelbak I got from a poker site when I didn't know what to do with my player points. I've never used it, but that might change soon...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    will3 wrote:

wtf is a bottle?... it's a bidon

I've moved away from camelbacs as the rucksack style riding is a bit tight in the shoulders/chest
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    will3 wrote:
    Since when did "drinking" become "hydrating" I suppose.

about the same time that the other "drinking" became "binge drinking"
    FCN = 4
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Since when did "drinking" become "hydrating" I suppose.

about the same time that the other "drinking" became "binge drinking"

True and depressing fact - I use the majority of my Nuun hydration tablets for hangover recovery rather than on long bike rides.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    maybe you could get one of those webbing belts and rig up a kit where you have a upside down 2 litre coridial bottle strapped in..

Or even better, fit something like this:

beerhelmet.jpg

fitted to a cycle helmet
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itchieritchie
    itchieritchie Posts: 332
    Nobody's mentioned safety. The one and only time I slid off my bike in heavy rain on an oil-slicked road was when I was wearing a rucksack. Landed on my back and shoulder and had a nice, cushioned fall as a result.

It wasn't a Camelbak I was wearing, but the effect would've been the same - maybe better as water acts as a superb shock absorber.

Got me thinking that even though I actually prefer bottles (and also have fancy carbon cages), being a lean 65kgs and 5'9" with no fat to soften any blows means that road rash would be infinitely more palatable with something on my back.

Or am I just being a big girl...??

And btw, I checked out that Camelbak vest...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cam ... p-ec021651

Aside from the fact that it really is only for the unembarassable, it costs a whopping £99....??!!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Yep, you're just being a big girl.

Glad I could help.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    biondino wrote:
    will3 wrote:

Are you crazy? Aqua? You need an isotonic hydration fluid of some kind.

I have a camelbak I got from a poker site when I didn't know what to do with my player points. I've never used it, but that might change soon...

That's it, I'm no longer going to drink, and I'm not going to hydrate either, I;m going one further: intesive moisturising.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Bottles. If it is good enough for the pros, it is good enough for someone who has an atom of the talent, but wants to look the part :)

When Alberto starts wearing a camelbak, then I'll get interested.

(seriously though, I sweat like a mofo when I've got a backpack on. I would have thought it would be even worse with a camelbak. But each to their own)....