Water bottles

spykes
spykes Posts: 31
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Are them twin bottles holders any use that go behind seat post?
Not even got my bike yet but will need to hydrate lots with the amount of sweating I ll be doing :roll:

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Drink when you're thirsty is my motto.

In the summer, say 25 degrees, I need perhaps one bottle of water to take me 14 miles.

At the moment I simply don't carry water.

Two bottles seems a bit over the top.
  • spykes
    spykes Posts: 31
    How far do you ride? Surley you would need something.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    I would probably get through twice that in the summer.
    I try to drink before getting too thirsty as I see thirst as an early sign of dehydration.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    the exercise gurus will tell you to drink before your thirsty. But this is a commute and is a pretty known quantity; why not have a drink before you set off and a drink when you arrive (if you're thirsty)?

tbh I do ten miles each way and neither drink nor eat before I set off. In the mornings it's very cool, in the afternoons I dare say I'm ready for a drink when I finish.

How far is your commute?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I did 7-ish miles each way, and tended to drink after doing so each way. Never really needed water en-route, though.

For longer rides, I have a buzzer to remind me to drink every 15 minutes or I forget. It does make a difference to stamina.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I commute 17 miles each way. I don't bother with a bottle, I just make sure I'm hydrated before I leave.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I have a glass of water before I set off in the morning. Not enough that I need a mid-ride pee thought!

I don't find I need any during the ride (10 miles), but do guzzle a lot down when I get into work.

Funnily enough I did start off by carrying a water bottle to work, but realised that I never wanted it, it just ended up being extra weight, hence I ditched it. When the summer comes I'll probably carry one as I don't like the heat much - I'll be the one splashing water over my face at the lights :P
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    Same as L.I.T, 7.5 miles either way and don't drink. I always have a bottle of weak squash (water around here is rancid, Tastes like a tramps armpit. Don't ask how I know).

The only time I will have a small drink is if it is very windy and my throat is dry. Otherwise I just plod on.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    20 miles each way I always carry a full bottle and yet never use it, perhaps I should ditch the extra weight?

for sportives i always have two full bottles which I use completely before each food stop, so ran out of water on the Dragon ride last year, which can be potentially dangerous.

This year I'll be rocking up with 950ml bottles and spending less time at the feed stations :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • asprilla
    Would you not use a camelbak on a sportive?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    using a camel back on a road bike is a big BIG no no.

LiT this buzzer, i like the idea of this buzzer as i forget. 45mins this afternoon without drinking and i was struggling as i never remembered to drink. (i hasten to add i rode for 4 hours). Where can i get this buzzer?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    spasypaddy wrote:

Only if you care what pretentious elitists will think.

For anyone else, a Camelbak is perfectly fine if that's how they prefer to carry their water. They're easier for constant sipping too, particularly for people who aren't adept at taking a bottle out & drinking one-handed.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • asprilla
    spasypaddy wrote:
    using a camel back on a road bike is a big BIG no no

Any particular reason, or is it just not 'the done thing'?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Agent57 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Only if you care what pretentious elitists will think.

For anyone else, a Camelbak is perfectly fine if that's how they prefer to carry their water. They're easier for constant sipping too, particularly for people who aren't adept at taking a bottle out & drinking one-handed.

+1. No-no? Personally, I've found my hydration bladder really useful, as one of those clumsy people it's very handy to have a quick drink whilst keeping the hammer down.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    I must sweat a lot as take a sip every 5-10 mins on the commute. The camelbak is great for making it easy to do that - no reason why you shouldn't use one. They are also ideal for long rides/hot weather as they can hold up to 3l of water. On a hot summer jaunt, add ice cubes before you set off 8)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I find it depends hugely on the weather. On a sultry day in summer I can use a bottle on a 20 mile commute.
    Today I got though half a bottle in 55 miles. Didn't seem to affect performance that much.
  • spasypaddy
    a few reasons why is a no no on a road bike:
    1. its the not done thing
    2. its quite heavy
    3. weight distribution on a back for long long hours in a saddle.
    4. gets in the way of pockets on road jerseys
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Soooo any good reasons?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Looks ghey :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    spasypaddy wrote:
    1. its the not done thing - that doesn't bother me
    2. its quite heavy - fair do's if you're competing in something
    3. weight distribution on a back for long long hours in a saddle. never noticed any problems myself
    4. gets in the way of pockets on road jerseys don't need them - Camelbaks have loads of pockets :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    spasypaddy wrote:

LiT this buzzer, i like the idea of this buzzer as i forget. 45mins this afternoon without drinking and i was struggling as i never remembered to drink. (i hasten to add i rode for 4 hours). Where can i get this buzzer?

On the Edge - it's somewhere in the Training menu... or you could set up an interval alarm on some other thingo - many digital watches used to have them.

As for camelbaks, I think if you're used to carrying a rucksack they're fine, I'm not so I find them cumbersome and unpleasant.

Don't really see the additional gain over just carrying 2 bottles...?

EDIT and pockets on rucksacks (the ones I used to use for commuting years ago before I saw the light and switched to panniers) are waaaaaay harder to get to than those on a jersey.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    1. its the not done thing - that doesn't bother me
    2. its quite heavy - fair do's if you're competing in something
    3. weight distribution on a back for long long hours in a saddle. never noticed any problems myself
    4. gets in the way of pockets on road jerseys don't need them - Camelbaks have loads of pockets :)

even on the MTB I don't use the camelbaks as I hate having things on my back, much rather use a bottle. and since I live in SE which is hardly wild land, cafe etc is never far away.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    What is wrong about having a bladder on your back rather than on the bike? It's the same weight overall at the end of the day?

Also on a hot day I like having a couple of litres of cold water on my back! :D

Of course I ride a MTB rather than a road bike.... :wink:

<runs for cover...>
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    What is wrong about having a bladder on your back rather than on the bike? It's the same weight overall at the end of the day?

Also on a hot day I like having a couple of litres of cold water on my back! :D

Of course I ride a MTB rather than a road bike.... :wink:

<runs for cover...>

it's the point of having it on you rather than the bike, I've never liked the feeling of camelbacks makes me feel too heavy.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I always have a drink (pintish) before I leave and a glass or two when I get in from my 10.5 mile commute.

Did the same on the 14 miler previously. I used to carry a bottle (and use it) but just stopped doing so. You do start to feel it a little at the end but it's not that far and you know you can have drink when you get in.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I always carry a bottle I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I can't always face a drink before I leave in the morning so I just have a sip at the lights once I've got going. Depends how far you're riding though and the weather. I don't usually touch it if it's raining a lot.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy wrote:

On the Edge - it's somewhere in the Training menu... or you could set up an interval alarm on some other thingo - many digital watches used to have them.

As for camelbaks, I think if you're used to carrying a rucksack they're fine, I'm not so I find them cumbersome and unpleasant.

Don't really see the additional gain over just carrying 2 bottles...?

EDIT and pockets on rucksacks (the ones I used to use for commuting years ago before I saw the light and switched to panniers) are waaaaaay harder to get to than those on a jersey.
    sweet there is so much to use on the edge and yet i never do
    :lol:
    must find that then and use it
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    spasypaddy wrote:
    1. its the not done thing
    2. its quite heavy
    3. weight distribution on a back for long long hours in a saddle.
    4. gets in the way of pockets on road jerseys

Well:
    1. I can't bring myself to give a toss about that.
    2. OMG! Another kilo or two! Like that's going to make a difference to my speed. If I need to carry stuff that won't fit in jersey pockets I'm not going to leave it at home.
    3. Pish. A decent rucksack doesn't cause any problems.
    4. True. But hardly a massive inconvenience.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    I don't use a camelbak but good luck to anyone who does. Frankly I'm getting a bit tired of all the w@nkers out there who like to say what is and isn't Ok to have on a ride...just more boring Raphawank if you ask me. Anyone say bidon?
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Wearable hydration then?
    Pockets on the back - check.
    Road biker fascist approval - check
    Slightly odd shape - check.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cam ... p-ec021651

8)