I survived the Etape Caledonia!

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Posting in here as I am a commuter and used my commuter bike...

Did the 81 miles today in 4hrs 31 mins, average of 18.3 mph. For me that was quite astounding, as it was my first "sportive" type event.

Really enjoyed it and it was amazing how the other people pulled you long. The scenery was superb, it was extremely well organised and excellent fun.
Special thanks to the Tricross that did not let me down, kept up with other more expensive thouroughbreds and cornered and descended well - you will enjoy a good clean and oiling tonight!

Oh, and also raised over £700 for MacMillans Cancer Support.

Definately do again!!

Cheers.
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Great work! That's quick!
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    As a fellow TriCross cyclist: WELL DONE!!! :)

Is this only for men?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Well done :D

Was it as nice a day there as it was here. Has been dry with outbreaks of sun all day.
  • Wallace1492
    Weather was superb, a little chilly in the morning, but that made you ride hard to warm up, then broken cloud with a little sunshine for the rest of the ride. No rain, and the wind was not too bad, a little against going up Loch Rannoch, but behind on way back. And more importantly no nasty men with tacks!!

Plenty of women doing it, but didn't get a chance to get any phone numbers! :( :P
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The Tricross Triumphs Through The Trossacks!

(did you see what I did there? :D )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Nicely done Wallace.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Congrats Wallace, that's superb! Encourages me to think about doing my first serious event...
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Well done - I see Mr Burns has a new career as a headline writer for The Sun - shame you were in the Grampians :wink:
  • Wallace1492
    Well done - I see Mr Burns has a new career as a headline writer for The Sun - shame you were in the Grampians :wink:

Was neither in the Grampians or the Trossachs.... (with a "h") but in the rolling Perthshire countryside, with a dip in towards Rannoch Moor.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

Was neither in the Grampians or the Trossachs.... (with a "h") but in the rolling Perthshire countryside, with a dip in towards Rannoch Moor.

Artistic licence so bugger off the pair of you :wink:

Would you prefer: Pansy pedal pusher pootles past Perthshire :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wallace1492

Ripped rider roars round Rannoch
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863

That would be the "Trossachs Ton" (June 20th)... 100 miles and over 4000m climbing, I gather. The route appears to have been chosen to link the three biggest climbs in Central Scotland....!

...and, No, I havn't entered... :-(

Cheers,
    W.
  • Wallace1492

That would be the "Trossachs Ton" (June 20th)... 100 miles and over 4000m climbing, I gather. The route appears to have been chosen to link the three biggest climbs in Central Scotland....!

...and, No, I havn't entered... :-(

Cheers,
    W.

I am considering it.....
  • suzyb
    I might if you had a week to ride it :lol:
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:
    I might if you had a week to ride it :lol:

Suzy, get yourself into the Etape for next year..... you will love it!!
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Well played fella and in a cracking time too. I assume there was nonsense from any disgruntled locals this year?

No tacks on the road or angry locals chasing you up the road with pitch forks and flaming torches, like last year? (Note: i may have made up one of these issues from last year up :lol: )

:D
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    That's a good ride Wallace. Chapeau, sir. It's good fun to ride in a group at a bit faster pace than normal :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Well done - I see Mr Burns has a new career as a headline writer for The Sun - shame you were in the Grampians :wink:

Ripped rider roars round Rannoch

Super-tricross goes ballistic, ACRE are atrocious. :D

Well done, Wallace.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    well done indeed Wallace, much better than my pedestrian 5hrs 13 inc stops.

I knew I was slow (just ask Cori :wink: ) but I've learned that doing this 4 weeks after a marathon and as just your 3rd long ride (over 20 miles) of the year is not the best.

however, despite the pain, still an excellent day. Much more fun without the enforced stops of last year and the craic as always was great as was the support from the locals.

Wallace - were you in a Perth cycling top or was that another Tricross rider?
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    Why don't people just ride with other people for free every weekend ? The roads are always there and you learn to ride together properly if you do it on a regular basis. Wait a minute is that not called a "Club" !!!
    "They still have bodies that can walk for five days and four nights through a desert of snow, without food, but they accept praise for having taken a one hour bicycle ride"
  • suzyb
    How about because not everyone lives in an area where there are cycle clubs at their level.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    dreamlx10 wrote:
    Why don't people just ride with other people for free every weekend ? The roads are always there and you learn to ride together properly if you do it on a regular basis.

we do, take a look at this thread which is just one of many on the forum http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... ocial+ride
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    dreamlx10 wrote:
    Why don't people just ride with other people for free every weekend ? The roads are always there and you learn to ride together properly if you do it on a regular basis. Wait a minute is that not called a "Club" !!!
    "They still have bodies that can walk for five days and four nights through a desert of snow, without food, but they accept praise for having taken a one hour bicycle ride"

Feeling a bit cynical, are we? You could say the same thing for people doing the London Marathon.

Presumably you didn't do the ride then? If you did, you'd realise what a unique experience it was cycling alongside thousands of other cyclists through 81 miles of beautiful highland roads without having traffic to contend with. The atmosphere was brilliant, and the support from the locals who came out to watch was amazing. Oh, and there's the little matter of £400,000 raised by the event for Macmillan Cancer Support as well...
  • Wallace1492
    Big Wib wrote:

I knew I was slow (just ask Cori :wink: ) but I've learned that doing this 4 weeks after a marathon and as just your 3rd long ride (over 20 miles) of the year is not the best.

however, despite the pain, still an excellent day. Much more fun without the enforced stops of last year and the craic as always was great as was the support from the locals.

Perth cycling top? and me a Weedgie!! I had my Sunday best on - A castelli windproof jacket. I did see a couple of other Tricrosses though.
    Excellent fun, and already signed up for next year.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib wrote:

Perth cycling top? and me a Weedgie!! I had my Sunday best on - A castelli windproof jacket. I did see a couple of other Tricrosses though.
    Excellent fun, and already signed up for next year.

I was fairly certain it wasn't you but had to consider the possibility you might have been in disguise :wink:

almost certainly won't do it next year as its a long weekend with the 6 hour drive each way
  • suzyb
    I didn't think sign ups would be open this early.
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:
    I didn't think sign ups would be open this early.

Get in there Suzy, you will love it. You will exceed all expectations, and be wondering why you did not do it before... and it is a superb target to aim for.
  • suzyb
    hmmmm, I don't really like committing to things so soon. When did places for this year run out, would I have time to wait.

btw where's the pictures?
  • Big Wib
    For next years event (this year's was sold out before Christmas but can't remember when):

https://www.clubsonline.com.au/eventsregform/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_event_detail&EventID=4278&OrgID=1941

For photos:

http://www.sportcam.net/competitorsearch.aspx?mode=singlerace&RId=246

My bib no. was 1959 & I wish I could find a slimming colour :oops: although I suppose I could have another go at losing weight
  • Wallace1492
    Big Wib wrote:
    For next years event (this year's was sold out before Christmas but can't remember when):

https://www.clubsonline.com.au/eventsregform/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_event_detail&EventID=4278&OrgID=1941

For photos:

http://www.sportcam.net/competitorsearch.aspx?mode=singlerace&RId=246

My bib no. was 1959 & I wish I could find a slimming colour :oops: although I suppose I could have another go at losing weight

Number 3942 for me. Quite like my photo, but a bit pricey to buy.

Now do I do the Trossachs ton...... I think I know the answer.....