Gisburn today...

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited August 2010 in Routes
Was great :)

Still absolutely hate the crag section (all of it) though. Its just very boring and very rocky :(

Also, the gulley..... hmm.
That grit is very very slippy and loose.... i think one of the berms has actually collapsed at the bottom leaving a ridge right in the middle of it.
Its very easy to wash out on the front.... not great with a steep valley to the right. Did anyone actually ride it before it was opened? :?
Much prefered it before hand.... I think its more dangerous now!

Volunteer bit at the start was great as usual though... one of my fav bits of trail!

Oh and I made it up both the steep fire road climbs for the 1st time... go me :lol:

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Yep, when new Hully Gulley was absolutely ace, smooth, fast, brill. Haven't ridden i since we 'repaired' it but I must admit I've still got concerns. The ground was still soft under the limestone we laid and there was soil dropping from the sides onto the trail surface even as we were recovering it. Hopefully with a few riders down it the loose stuff will get thrown off. Trouble is we haven't had a great deal of rain to bed it in and there were numerous twunts who thought they new better and went around three barriers to ride it while it bedded in. Get up to Cragg quarry if you want beautiful berms, ride them before they get trashed by rear wheel dragging numbnuts :lol:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • hehe missed your reply John :(

Think i'm heading up Gisburn again on saturday, as much as I hate some of it... I jsut can't get enough :lol:

Now that i'm a bit more ary of the condition of the gulley, I might go a bit slower haha!

When is the next dig btw? I've been so busy recently I just haven't been able to get there for ages :(

Oh and regarding Lee Quarry... not sure yet :P
    Looks fun, but I'd like soemthing a little different to get the most out of it!
  • stumpyjon
    Next dig day is the 13th of June. Should be able to finish the log ride section and get it open which would be good. I'll email everyone this time with a reminder close to the day.

Lee Quarry is good, Cragg is even more fun IMHO. I even found the route between them on Saturday.

• sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    I'm going to Gisburn this weekend...going to do the whole route minus Hully Gully this time :D
    Caz xx
  • I'm going to Gisburn this weekend...going to do the whole route minus Hully Gully this time :D
    Caz xx

I'll be there next saturday..

you dare overtake me on the steep fireroad like a lass did last weekend :evil: :lol:
  • sparrowlegs78
    I'll be the one walking and wheezing going up that climb lol.....I'm poo at climbs :(
    Caz xx
  • tubaonwheels
    tubaonwheels Posts: 448
    I'm also going up this weekend, will be riding earlyish Sat and maybe again late afternoon, then another session Sunday Morn. Making the most of this cracking weather and familiarising myself with the area for the 'Dirty Dozen.
    I'l be the old geezer on a red and white cube (also passing you on the climb :lol: )
    Steve
  • sparrowlegs78
    I'm going on Sunday :D...going to die a painful death :lol:
    Caz xx
  • tubaonwheels
    Had a great weekend at Gisburn - but it was nearly a disaster. I was somewhat crestfallen when I started getting ready for my Sat morning ride, only to find I'd packed my road shoes (Looks) instead of my spd's - panic. Didn't fancy driving back to Leeds! Thought I might have to drive to Clitheroe and buy a new pair.
    Fotunately Tim at the Dog and Partridge loaned me a set of flat pedals for the weekend.
    So I was able to have two days thrashing around the trails, in baking conditions :oops: . Enjoyed the trails, not too keen on the very rough loose stuff up on the crag and also took Hully gully a bit steady as it was a bit loose for my liking. But all in all a very enjoyable weekends riding.

Many thanks Tim! I fully reccomend the Pub/cafe/bike shop (including free bike wash). Will try and remember the right shoes next time. :)
  • mystery h
    mystery h Posts: 154
    had a go at gisburn myself last week, enjoyed it, but was quite loose and i came unstuck a few times on the loose rocks :cry:

had to keep alert which was what i enjoyed most rather than follow a predictable path

wanted to go this weekend but the weather was too much for me, hate hot sunshine, particular the sunburn :(

will be visiting this week, along with llandegla and cannock then off to glentress and cyb seen as i have 3 1/2 weeks off now

will post when certain of dates if there are any takers
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    mystery h wrote:
    wanted to go this weekend but the weather was too much for me, hate hot sunshine, particular the sunburn :(

It was absolutely brutal yesterday. Started at about 10.30, and within about 20 minutes I was melting, and it only got worse :P Hully Gully was worth the effort though.
  • sparrowlegs78
    I was there today :D...rode most of it but the rocky bits up towards the Crag ( simons swap) and one tough climb beyond that, only other bit that had me off was the boardwalks where I had to help a lass dig her bike out on the water on the last Blue route bit, lost me nerve there :oops:
    Caz xx
  • mystery h
    loved the boardwalks, they seemed to just go on and on, wouldnt liked to have come a cropper on those though
  • sparrowlegs78
    I can't do boardwalks, never have been able to, I can't get my mind away from the drops down the side lol
    Caz xx
  • tubaonwheels
    I'm not that keen either Caz, managed them ok today but still had a few mucky pant situations :shock:
  • what time does it get dark at gisburn now?

I might start a few trips down after work if its gonna stay light!.. then again.. I have a good light anyways :lol:
  • sparrowlegs78
    I'm not that keen either Caz, managed them ok today but still had a few mucky pant situations :shock:

you probs passed me at some point today lol...I was the one piddling about in granny gear on a pink tarted up Merlin Malt 2.
    Or the one hung up in the bush going up into the quarry....yes I rode into a bush !!! :lol:
    Caz xx
  • sparrowlegs78
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    what time does it get dark at gisburn now?

I might start a few trips down after work if its gonna stay light!.. then again.. I have a good light anyways :lol:

It's still light here now we're only 20 ish miles away.
    Caz xx
  • stumpyjon
    Well I wasn't actually in Gisburn Forest this weekend for a change. I was at Whinlatter instead doing a Trail Cycle Leader course, kindly paid for by the Gisburn Forest Partnership. Was baking the lakes as well. Very loose on the natural stuff and very dusty. It actually got a bit silly towards the end, on the last descent the rider in front was throwing up some much dust you couldn't see the roots, rocks and drop offs :shock:

As for the boardwalks, it's all about the FEAR. If (and I know it's a big if) you can stay relaxed and loose they're a piece of cake. I've had my daughter (6) through the blue section of boardwalk on her tag along, the whole bike / tag along must have been over 3 metres long and we satyed on. Once you've conquered the boardwalks you'll be able to have a crack at the log rides :lol: . The main logs are over a foot wide at the start (but do narrow down to around 6 inches and you are 4ft off the ground).

• tubaonwheels

you probs passed me at some point today lol...I was the one piddling about in granny gear on a pink tarted up Merlin Malt 2.
    Or the one hung up in the bush going up into the quarry....yes I rode into a bush !!! :lol:
    Caz xx
    Bush - quarry - I'm off to bed before my wine induced typing gets me into trouble :oops: :wink:
  • mystery h
    think ill have a dabble later this afternoon, up there for about 4:30

does it get busy then, everyone finishing work?
  • stumpyjon
    It will probably be busy but a bit later than 4:30.

• mystery h
    had a run up there today arrived at 11:00 only 3 cars there

weather was cool, sun starting to break through, managed to complete the whole red run, didnt go through half baked last time took the diversion :?

had my first run at the hully gully, fantastic :P

worth going just to have experience on this, few toe curling moments, especially when my rear end kept drifting and you can hear those stones rolling down the ravine :shock:

didnt come off as much this time, still trying to master the rock paths :?
  • sparrowlegs78
    I struggled on the really rocky stuff, watched a few fully sprung guys go down it and they hardly moved, Gisburn is going to be a full sus playground I think, it's not easy on an XC rig :(
    Caz xx
  • stumpyjon
    Caz

It's all about body positioning, you've got far more inches of travel in your legs than any DH bike has. If you're riding well the bike moves around under you and you stay relatively still. it just takes practice and ideally a bit of coaching.

• sparrowlegs78
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Caz

It's all about body positioning, you've got far more inches of travel in your legs than any DH bike has. If you're riding well the bike moves around under you and you stay relatively still. it just takes practice and ideally a bit of coaching.

Got the coaching bit sorted :D...13th June, ladies coaching day with Ed Oxley in Gisburn...the rest, I'm just useless at lol
    Caz xx
  • stumpyjon
    Ed really sorted me out on one of his days and then he taught me how to ride a bike :lol: .

Don't worry to much about the track standing and bunny hoping but pay attention to the body positionning stuff, that's really important.

• sparrowlegs78
    I can't bunny hop or track stand anyway, I just want to learn how to stay on the bike and not keep getting off and walking, it's no fun taking a bike for a walk lol
    Caz xx
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Hi digging up an old thread here, but just wanted to thank the builders at gisburn, was there on the weekend and had a great time.

I managed to bottom out my 6" suspension from a g-out on hurry gully.

That has to be the best feature on any trail anywhere. I ran straight back up and did it again =-)

If you know the guys at the cafe, could you hint that they could do better with the cake?

£2 for a small slice of shortbread that doesn't look that good was not for me.
    It has to be the first time ever I have turned down cake!

Either bigger portions of better cake, or less cash please (I can then buy a few, I am hungry after biking).
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • stumpyjon
    Glad you liked it. Which cafe are we talking about, the one at the Dog & Partridge pub? If so don't know what they've done to the cake, used to get a massive piece of flapjack for next to nought.