Stamina. All about fuelling?

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,786
I'm a reasonible cyclist but I really hit the wall after 4 hours or so of hard effort (in a sportive for example) and can only put it down to my genes and 'fuelling'. I mention this because I did a 207km yesterday (part of my Marmotte preparation) and I'm a match for my club mates up to the 150ish mark but i so hit the wall after that. Two weeks ago i did 200 and I felt great but it was flat, this time the hills got me which is frustrating because I'm a fairly good climber. This always happens at this point and I can only think i should eat more but it's not like my mates do but they are all bigger than me (more fuel stores or is that nonsense?).
7 weeks to go and I really need to improve!

Comments

• smithy1.0
    smithy1.0 Posts: 439
    200-250kcal per hour and plenty of fluids and electrolytes (think 500ml per hour) is the best thing you can do to maximise your endurance. If you are hitting the wall even doing that, then all I can say is more training, or pace yourself better.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    smithy1.0 wrote:
    200-250kcal per hour and plenty of fluids and electrolytes (think 500ml per hour) is the best thing you can do to maximise your endurance. If you are hitting the wall even doing that, then all I can say is more training, or pace yourself better.

Out of interest how do you get to the 200-250kcal an hour figure? I've generally been assuming that an hour on the bike burns more like 1,000kcal, so consuming 200-250kcal an hour is still likely to see a big deficit.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    phreak wrote:
    smithy1.0 wrote:

Out of interest how do you get to the 200-250kcal an hour figure? I've generally been assuming that an hour on the bike burns more like 1,000kcal, so consuming 200-250kcal an hour is still likely to see a big deficit.

In a 1hr race I will burn around 800-1000cals (my garmin says about 1200-1500 but they over estimate by a huge amount).

An interval session I burn around 650-750, a steady 2 hr ride I will burn about 500-600

(These figures are obtained from my powermeter which measures actual work done in kilojoules. They are about as accurate as you can get without testing in a lab.)

My nutritionist suggests about 30-60g carbs per hour on a long ride for me.
  • Rutlandblue
    Rutlandblue Posts: 24
    I had a similar problem on the FW last w/e except i struggled from the off!
    I just never got going at all. All i can think of is that i over fuelled, is that possible?
    I'd had a good breakfast, energy bar,banana and sports drink in the car then more drink and another bar before the start.
    I kept my fuel intake high all the way round and althogh i finished i grovelled the whole way. I also had a headache for 50+ miles.
    I was so dissapointed as my time 11hr+ did not represent the amount of traing i did.
  • Anonymous
    I had a similar problem on the FW last w/e except i struggled from the off!
    I just never got going at all. All i can think of is that i over fuelled, is that possible?
    I'd had a good breakfast, energy bar,banana and sports drink in the car then more drink and another bar before the start.
    I kept my fuel intake high all the way round and althogh i finished i grovelled the whole way. I also had a headache for 50+ miles.
    I was so dissapointed as my time 11hr+ did not represent the amount of traing i did.

Possibly due to the type of fuel you are having.

A load of high GI stuff before riding leads to an insulin spike followed by a 'slump'.

Best fuelling up beforehand on low GI stuff like porridge oats, berries etc. with water...

I'd highly recommend giving Barry a ring at http://www.optimumnutrition4sport.com, his advice has transformed my riding!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    NapoleonD wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    smithy1.0 wrote:

In a 1hr race I will burn around 800-1000cals (my garmin says about 1200-1500 but they over estimate by a huge amount).

An interval session I burn around 650-750, a steady 2 hr ride I will burn about 500-600

(These figures are obtained from my powermeter which measures actual work done in kilojoules. They are about as accurate as you can get without testing in a lab.)

My nutritionist suggests about 30-60g carbs per hour on a long ride for me.

This article - http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/a ... -1,00.html - suggests a typical Tour stage can burn through 7,000 kcal, which seems to fit in with the online calculators I've used of around 1,000 calories per hour for a sportive.

200kcal consumed seems to leave a big deficit. In the article above it sounds like they're consuming around 1,800kcal just from their bottles each stage. Add in a pretty extensive musette and they seem to be consuming well in excess of 3,000kcal. So if they're on the bike for 5 hours it would seem to be anything from 200-300% more than the 200-250kcal recommended earlier.

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... cess-20344 has a bit more on this, and also suggests several thousand kcals burnt during a sportive.
  • Alex_Simmons/RST
    Alex_Simmons/RST Posts: 4,161
    It's usually exceptionally difficult if not impossible to consume anywhere near the calories metabolised when riding hard for long periods. You simply can't ingest food quickly enough. A calorie deficit is to be expected.

1g of CHO per hour per kg body mass is about the limit. 1.5g if you have some readily digestible variety.

Consuming calories while riding hard is something that needs to be trained.

It's also why lifting threshold power is so important. It enables you to ride at the same sub maximal intensities for longer since the rate of glycogen use is lowered (it enables a greater reliance on FFA as a fuel source) and since we have about 80 times the stored fuel in the form of fats than glycogen, we are capable of greater endurance at a given pace.
  • Anonymous
    edited May 2010
    phreak wrote:

This article - http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/a ... -1,00.html - suggests a typical Tour stage can burn through 7,000 kcal, which seems to fit in with the online calculators I've used of around 1,000 calories per hour for a sportive.

A pro cyclist burns a lot more calories than us mere mortals whilst racing!!

The online calculators I've looked at seem to be about 20-30% over my actual expenditure.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    727kcal/hour for me today riding a 90 mile route in the Peaks that I'd say is comparable to a typical sportive route (according to PowerTap)

Like NapD I'd only burn 1000kcal in a race or riding close to threshold.

I didn't consume anywhere near the 4000kcal that I burnt though. Probably half that at most.
    More problems but still living....
  • 36spoke
    36spoke Posts: 50
    NapoleonD wrote:

I'd highly recommend giving Barry a ring at http://www.optimumnutrition4sport.com, his advice has transformed my riding!

id be interested but can u tell me more, what does he do for you, is it a diet pan, or diet in conjunction with training plan, is it a one off list or a continously updated plan, whats the cost like etc etc
  • Anonymous
    36spoke wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

id be interested but can u tell me more, what does he do for you, is it a diet pan, or diet in conjunction with training plan, is it a one off list or a continously updated plan, whats the cost like etc etc

The best person to answer that is the man himself!

Diet plan in conjunction with my training plan. Very detailed questionaire you fill in and send him, he does a very detailed rept, then you see him for a consultation for fine tuning.

Been doing it for 3 weeks now and the results are, frankly, astounding!
  • ireland57
    ireland57 Posts: 84
    It's usually exceptionally difficult if not impossible to consume anywhere near the calories metabolised when riding hard for long periods. You simply can't ingest food quickly enough. A calorie deficit is to be expected.

Amen to that. I find it almost impossible not only to eat the food but digesting it after eating.
    Even sipping water is difficult when riding hard. I take enough in eventually but have a few chokes on the way. :(

Consuming calories while riding hard is something that needs to be trained.

That is good news. 8)

It's also why lifting threshold power is so important. It enables you to ride at the same sub maximal intensities for longer since the rate of glycogen use is lowered (it enables a greater reliance on FFA as a fuel source) and since we have about 80 times the stored fuel in the form of fats than glycogen, we are capable of greater endurance at a given pace.

So you burn more fat than glycogen when threshold power is raised?
  • smithy1.0
    smithy1.0 Posts: 439
    phreak wrote:
    smithy1.0 wrote:

It's said that your body can only absorb that much per hour while exercising. You just have to replace what you've burned after.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    ireland57 wrote:
    So you burn more fat than glycogen when threshold power is raised?
    The closer any given power output is to your current FTP, then the more that your body uses glycogen as the main fuel source.

ie if you ride at 200W and your FTP is 230W, you will be metabolising more glycogen (rather than fat) than if you ride at the same power output but your FTP is 300W.
  • Rutlandblue
    Rutlandblue Posts: 24
    Thanx NapoleonD.

As for using glycogen stores, surely that only happens when you havent fuelled enough?
  • Rapha
    Rapha Posts: 86
    smithy1.0 wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    smithy1.0 wrote:

It's said that your body can only absorb that much per hour while exercising. You just have to replace what you've burned after.

In general the maximum carbohydrates we can digest is 60g per hour, this is simply because glucose can't be absorbed any quicker. The only carbohydrate that is absorbed differently is Fructose - it is very sweet. That is why most of the major sports nutrition companies have introduced a 2:1 fructose ratio - High5 were the first and explain it really well in their Race Faster Guides (see their website). with that you can absorb 90g of carbohydrates per hour - makes a big differenece (a third more!) but to benefit from it you have to take more on as well of course.

You normally have 400g of carbohydrate already stored in your muscles before you start but it won't last forever so from the start you need to keep this topped up - You will not be able to replace everything you burn so refuelling after your ride is important too. But if you find you slow down dramatically during your ride it means your carbohydrate stores are depleted and your are running mainly on fat. This is when you really should think about your nutrition strategy and how you can maximise your carbohydrate uptake.
  • Alex_Simmons/RST
    Thanx NapoleonD.

As for using glycogen stores, surely that only happens when you havent fuelled enough?
    Or when you attempt to sustain a pace higher than you are capable of, or ride with regular efforts higher than threshold (e.g. lots of hard efforts/surges).
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Or when you attempt to sustain a pace higher than you are capable of, or ride with regular efforts higher than threshold (e.g. lots of hard efforts/surges).

I understand this but find that I'm blowing after around 4 hours whereas my club mates who I'm as strong as over shorter distances aren't, which leads me to believe it's at least partly energy levels. Maybe they pace themselves a little more sensibly too.

As far as the 60g of CHO per hour, are there any negative side effects of taking on more?
  • Alex_Simmons/RST
    inseine wrote:

I understand this but find that I'm blowing after around 4 hours whereas my club mates who I'm as strong as over shorter distances aren't, which leads me to believe it's at least partly energy levels. Maybe they pace themselves a little more sensibly too.

As far as the 60g of CHO per hour, are there any negative side effects of taking on more?
    How you can ingest is an individual thing to be experimented with. But if you try to eat more than your body can manage, well you'll likely feel pretty ordinary, stomach upset etc, maybe won't feel like riding hard.