Riding Glasses

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Do you wear riding glasses?

I've got some Bolle glasses and some Polaris ones but they always get steamed up and I give up with them...

I'd like to start using them now the bugs are coming out (nothing worse than an eye full of bugs on a nice downhill section of trail!)

Any tips of keeping them fog free? I've tried the washing up liquid method but it doesn't seem to have any effect!

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Take them off going up hill.

I just hang them on my jersey/bag straps when hills go up.

Regarding wearing them or not, I normally do but there are times when I don't
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Are they vented lenses? I've found my non-vented lenses only fog up when I stop - I guess there's an easy solution to that :lol:
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    edited May 2010
    Never ride with out them.

I have a friend who's blind in one eye after a bit of broken branch pierced his eyeball whilst horse riding.
    Glasses can look a bit ghey to some I suppose, but I only have 2 eyes, and I'd like to retain the use of both of them if I can.
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Any tips of keeping them fog free? I've tried the washing up liquid method but it doesn't seem to have any effect!

Google "Bob Heath anti fog and visor cleaning spray"

Developed for motorcycle visors/goggles, top quality stuff :wink:
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    i took the expensive option = oakley radar. tho the ones on bikeforum.net mentioned cat crap - wax demister or johnston baby shampoo.
  • Family friend fell in the woods and pierced his eyeball with those small branches on pine trees. He was by himself so had to pull his eye off the branch to get out. I can't imagine that. It makes me sick just typing it. I've never been without my glasses since I heard that.

I have cheap decathalon ones. They steam up but just wave them about for 2 seconds and they're good to go again.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use some cheap endura ones, or my oakley straight jackets. As long as I'm moving they don't fog up.
  • mowzer
    mowzer Posts: 79
    try spitting in your glasses, it's a bit disgusting but i find it works.
  • Anonymous
    mowzer wrote:
    try spitting in your glasses, it's a bit disgusting but i find it works.
    I'll spit in your bloody glasses. Heathen :lol:
  • Laurence25
    Laurence25 Posts: 334
    I have Oakley radars to and i find a very thin layer of tooth past work but make sure u rub it in so u can NO LONGER SEE IT ! coz if u dident .................. well :lol::lol:
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    I have tried lots of different glasses at all the price ranges.
    I now only buy Sunwise glasses.
    They are cheap.
    Come with different lenses.
    Do not fog up.
    Keep your eyes from dripping.
    Most important for me, they stay put on my nose through sweat and anguish. Brilliant nosepiece.
    After you lose or break a pair of Oakleys you will appreciate these.
    (I don't work for them.)
  • Anonymous
    al2098 wrote:
    After you lose or break a pair of Oakleys you will appreciate these.
    (I don't work for them.)
    I accidentally dropped a pair of polarized Oakleys in the Menai straights :oops:
    I used to love looking into the sea, and lakes with them as you could see through the water, so whilst riding over the bridge, I decided to stop and have a look around, and ended up watching my glasses fall from my face into the river!
  • bbug
    bbug Posts: 83
    Yup. Aldi/Lidl cheapo ones. I use the yellow lenses most, 'cos I can see better with them on when in the shade. The bright sunlight does'nt bother me much and I find that if I wear the dark lenses, I can't see well enough when I go into the trees.
  • Anonymous
    I love orange lenses! I've got the gold iridium ones in the oakleys.
    However, I find that when I'm out doing a spot of photography, I see these amazing colours, and contrasts and think "wow, that would make an amazing shot".
    Then i get my camera out, take my glasses off, and realise that it's just another, dull day with boring lighting.
    GRRRR! :lol:

I used to blue-tack my sunglasses onto the front of my old camera, but since I got an SLR, the camera's lens is much bigger than the sunglasses. Bummer.
  • so... a combo of spit, toothpaste, fairy liquid and some "Bob Heath anti fog and visor cleaning spray" i'll be sorted :D
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i sometimes use regular sunglasses on xc rides when it's really sunny. but i have a FF helmet and goggles now so i use goggles for dh,fr,4x etc.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    so... a combo of spit, toothpaste, fairy liquid and some "Bob Heath anti fog and visor cleaning spray" i'll be sorted :D

If you use that lot there wouldn't be room for the dog and horse sh*te. :lol:
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    Cat%20Crap.jpg
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    bbug wrote:
    Yup. Aldi/Lidl cheapo ones.

This.

I can't see at 7 quid a pair how you can go wrong! No fog issues, light, comfy, inter changeable lenses, carry case, cloth - bargain. That said, if someone offered me a pair of Oakleys I wouldn't turn them down :roll:

Have used Bolle Contour ESPs previously which were great, but started to get fog issues recently - I will too try some of the highlighted remedies above.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I've also got a couple of pairs of the cheapo Aldi ones (one set as a spare) and some Bolle Clear ones.

I use the headband bit rather than the arms, so they work more like goggles.

As above, I just take them off when climbing and then put them back on the rest of the time.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Laurence25 wrote:
    I have Oakley radars to and i find a very thin layer of tooth past work but make sure u rub it in so u can NO LONGER SEE IT ! coz if u dident .................. well :lol::lol:

Toothpaste is basically grinding paste/t-cut so be careful with it :P
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Jesus, after hearing some of the stories I might just change from "Sometimes" to "Yes, all the time, even when I'm not on my bike"!

I mainly wear them to keep flies out of my eyes. They help with watery eyes on long, fast descents too, and obviously when it's muddy and stuff gets past the mudguards.

I've got the Aldi ones, they steam up when I'm hot, the air is cold and I stop. So I tend to hang them off the very end of my nose like reading glasses when I'm stopped or climbing. Once the air starts flowing they clear up quickly though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • diddyfunk
    diddyfunk Posts: 252
    +1 for Oakley Radars

Best glasses I have worn. the sticky rubber nose and arms means they actually get stickier the more you sweat and they dont fog up.

They are expensive tho
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
    08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    I always wear my Bolle safety glasses as I have to wear contacts and my eyes get dry otherwise very quickly. Also want to protect them, if I get some mud or a fly in my eyes, I'm liable to rub the contact lens out.

I may look like a wannabe but I don't give a damn, I'm protecting my eyes.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I scratched my Bolle Contours so I'm currently riding blind. Must get some more though...
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    A 6 year old pair of Oakley Eye Jackets.
    I would have dreaded the thought of wearing them when I got them but the Mrs says I look a fool in them, so they've been relegated to wearing when I'm cycling.
    They're great for cycling, don't fog and never fall off because of the grippy arms. Pity I dropped them when I took them off and scratched the lenses, but they still get worn.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    Got a pair of Rudy Project Rydon X's - they go darker when it sunny 8) Best way of stopping steaming up is to keep moving....

Now its drying out I need them for keeping the dust out of your eyes when I'm tailing someone.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Oakley Radars here - best riding glasses I've ever used, with various lens tints to match conditions. With my FF, I use O frames goggles
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • mfereborn
    mfereborn Posts: 480
    Check out motorcycle Helmet visor demisting agents.

My motorcycle helmet does not fog up unless in the coldest of conditions and im trying to breath heavily onto the inner of the visor. This is because its treated with something that prevents misting.

Im sure it'll work for shades too.
    The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    £4 Aldi specials. Quality
  • I've found that "fogging up" is mostly to do with fit - if they are too close to your face they'll fog even if they have so called vents. If they are too snug around your eyes with no air getting in, then they are going to fog. Try some on which fit your nose and head so they wont slip, then make sure there is a gap for air at the sides - I think that's as good as you'll get.

I used to have a problem with safety specs fogging up - nobody else who used the same ones did, so I tried another style and they fitted much better and I no longer had fog problems :D

So it's a bit hard to suggest glasses because everybodys face is a different shape.