who are the b'stards?

2»

Comments

• FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Could you not use the existing cables, or stem bolt?
    us0.png
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    FeynmanC wrote:

It's a different kind of antenna, you need a microwave antenna.

However, if you can fit one in a phone (under plastic and glass) you should be able to fit one (or more) discretely on a bike. This is going to be difficult on metal bikes as microwaves don't penetrate (AFAIK). I don't know what the penetration of CF is like, compated to plastic / glass phone cases.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Asprilla wrote:
    I don't know what the penetration of CF is like, compated to plastic / glass phone cases.
    Pretty poor; carbon fibre is quite a good conductor (albeit in a single direction). It's an issue for big (racing) sailing boats with satcoms gear; you want to build the boat out of carbon, but often have to put a glass dome in the deck where the antenna is going to go.

Had the same problem with a handheld GPS (albeit old tech), wouldn't work under the fordeck of my carbon dinghy...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Shops with a large number of second hand bikes or that simply have second bikes for stock get my vote.

Went into one shop that had two Felt's carbon with ultegra gearing. Cannondale slice TT bike, Specialized Dolce and ruby, Dolan track bike and a Bianchi via nirone. They also had a Titanium bike on 'special offer'.

Owner opened up the cellar as I was talking to him, saw a couple of Tri and Run and several other road bikes.

A very high stock level. Most bikes looked as if they were being or had been stripped and repackaged with different wheels and gearing.

Can't be sure if it is legit so won't name the shop, couriers hang out there.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Asprilla wrote:
    FeynmanC wrote:

However, if you can fit one in a phone (under plastic and glass) you should be able to fit one (or more) discretely on a bike. This is going to be difficult on metal bikes as microwaves don't penetrate (AFAIK). I don't know what the penetration of CF is like, compated to plastic / glass phone cases.

Thought that might be the case.

MW antenna under the saddle, or as part of the bottle cage?
    us0.png
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    What about RFID tags which could be read everytime you pass a traffic light, RLJs notwithstanding.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    FeynmanC wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    FeynmanC wrote:

Thought that might be the case.

MW antenna under the saddle, or as part of the bottle cage?

Yeah, you could then just build one into a seat and seatpost and move it from bike to bike. As long as nobody nicks your seat you're away...