Some people are just beyond selfish

2»

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Kurako wrote:
    NIMBYism at its British best!

Simon

Oi! Stop trying to claim Scottish NIMBYs as your own you southern softy :-)

Ok, I tried and tried to work it out but failed. Can you please explain to this southern - and foreign - softy what NIMBY means? 8)

Not In My Back Yard.

The kind of person who would be happy to have wind turbines because they were good for the environment, right up until you tell them they will be able to see the turbines from their back garden, at which point the become vociferously anti wind power.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    Thank you both whyamhere and Aspirilla! :)
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    suzyb wrote:
    Having seen the route I can't believe a million pounds worth of traffic uses those roads in a month, never mind in 4 hours. Best of luck to those taking part - weather is looking good for the weekend 8)

Weather looking good.... hmmmm. Report I saw was talking about scattered rain, with intermissions of "wintery" showers. At least it should keep the midges at bay!
    This is Scotland so it will probably be both :lol:

The radio mentioned snow lying in Shotts this morning... snow showers are certainly possible! Still, light winds forecast at the moment (which suits me, as I'm teaching eight-year-olds to sail this weekend!!!).

Cheers,
    W.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    The other thing that pisses me off about this is that there are a lot of accommodation places that will only let you stay 3 nights. I am travelling up from Glasgow, and would only want Saturday night somewhere, but will now just travel on the day (4am start) rather than pay for two nights I do not want. the locals are complaining about road closures, then milking it for all its worth.

The additional pain in the back side is that the organisers want me to register on the Friday or Saturday, but not on the day (can understand that as registering 3,500 before 7am would be difficult) but it means I may have to drive up and back to Pitlochry twice!! What a waste of time, petrol and money from me.

If I had known all this up front, I may not have entered!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2010 ... 1595t0.asp
    He (Peter Hounam of ACRE) said, “It is now time for Perth and Kinross to support local initiative rather a multinational concern based in the south of England.

I think this statement tells a lot about the Mr Hounam's world view.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    suzyb wrote:
    Having seen the route I can't believe a million pounds worth of traffic uses those roads in a month, never mind in 4 hours. Best of luck to those taking part - weather is looking good for the weekend 8)

Weather looking good.... hmmmm. Report I saw was talking about scattered rain, with intermissions of "wintery" showers. At least it should keep the midges at bay!
    This is Scotland so it will probably be both :lol:

The radio mentioned snow lying in Shotts this morning... snow showers are certainly possible! Still, light winds forecast at the moment (which suits me, as I'm teaching eight-year-olds to sail this weekend!!!).

Cheers,
    W.
    Yeah but Shotts can be snowed in when everywhere else doesn't have a flake. Cold, windy place that it is.

Wallace do you have to stay somewhere organised. Could you not just find somewhere to park your car and sleep in the back.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    suzyb wrote:
    Wallace do you have to stay somewhere organised. Could you not just find somewhere to park your car and sleep in the back.

I heard there are wee sleekit cow'rin tim'rous beasties prowling about the Highlands...
  • Wallace1492
    kelsen wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

I heard there are wee sleekit cow'rin tim'rous beasties prowling about the Highlands...

Well, choice is:
    Try and sleep in car - probably not get any sleep, still be up early, sore arms and legs.

Rough Camp - have to be a bit away from Pitlochry, still be up early (5ish) have to pack away tent and associated gubbings, potential rain, hail, snow. Not a great sleep either.

Stay in own bed, get up early and drive there.

Hard choice, but will go with third option!
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    kelsen wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Well, choice is:
    Try and sleep in car - probably not get any sleep, still be up early, sore arms and legs.

Rough Camp - have to be a bit away from Pitlochry, still be up early (5ish) have to pack away tent and associated gubbings, potential rain, hail, snow. Not a great sleep either.

Stay in own bed, get up early and drive there.

Hard choice, but will go with third option!

There are still some rooms available if you go a bit further afield. I've just cancelled a room at the Angus Hotel in Blairgowrie as a mate has just said he has a room in an apartment.

@suzyb - are you doing the etape as well?
  • suzyb
    No, not this year. When signups opened I didn't think I was quite ready for that kind of distance/speed.
  • Wallace1492
    I am not annoyed I cannot get accomodation, as there are other factors that dictate it will be most practical to drive there in the morning. My point was that places were making you book for 3 nights when you would only want 1. And that the organisers seem to be making me travel to Pitlochry to register the day before, when I would find it was a wated journey just to do that.

I think it suits me more to drive up on th day, but seem to be forced into going there the day before and paying for 3 nights!!
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    I am not annoyed I cannot get accomodation, as there are other factors that dictate it will be most practical to drive there in the morning. My point was that places were making you book for 3 nights when you would only want 1. And that the organisers seem to be making me travel to Pitlochry to register the day before, when I would find it was a wated journey just to do that.

I think it suits me more to drive up on th day, but seem to be forced into going there the day before and paying for 3 nights!!

I can understand the registration the day before as they have 4500 of us to get through but I can see how that would be annoying for you. For us non-locals we would have to be up the day before anyway.

I agree though that 3 nights is taking the p*ss and I couldn't get into a number of places because of it.

@suzyb - last year there was a 2 hour rest break in the middle so you would have been fine :roll:

I was almost optimistic about this year despite my lack of training but the continued guff coming from ACRE is worrying me slightly
  • Wallace1492
    Right, I am all sorted now. Got accomodation just outside Pitlochry from a nice man on the Sportives board, and only need to pay/stay 1 night. Well within cycling distance in the morning. Be getting up about 6 instead of 4! Also means I can register on the evening before. All happy now.....

Please ARCE, no tacks!!
  • kelsen
    That's great news Wallace. I'll make sure I say hi if I see a bloke on a Tricross on sunday! :D
  • suzyb
    Right, I am all sorted now. Got accomodation just outside Pitlochry from a nice man on the Sportives board, and only need to pay/stay 1 night. Well within cycling distance in the morning. Be getting up about 6 instead of 4! Also means I can register on the evening before. All happy now.....

Please ARCE, no tacks!!
    :D
  • doogee
    doogee Posts: 82
    Wallace,

I have found myself with the same predicament, the lad I was expecting to do this with has had to pull out and with him has gone my accommodation (his caravan). I too don't fancy the double hit on fuel and time to drive up on both days from Glasgow.

I noticed your post about a nice man on the sportive thread so went to have a look and have pm'd him, I now await a response! Fingers crossed...
  • Wallace1492
    doogee wrote:
    Wallace,

I have found myself with the same predicament, the lad I was expecting to do this with has had to pull out and with him has gone my accommodation (his caravan). I too don't fancy the double hit on fuel and time to drive up on both days from Glasgow.

I noticed your post about a nice man on the sportive thread so went to have a look and have pm'd him, I now await a response! Fingers crossed...

Well, all the best. Seemed to have a couple of spaces. All going well, may be having a beer with you tomorrow night!!
  • doogee
    doogee wrote:
    Wallace,

Well, all the best. Seemed to have a couple of spaces. All going well, may be having a beer with you tomorrow night!!

Hopefully! Just need to wait and see, dunno what I'll do if i can't get accomodation tbh.
  • Wallace1492
    doogee wrote:
    doogee wrote:
    Wallace,

Hopefully! Just need to wait and see, dunno what I'll do if i can't get accomodation tbh.

Well, my choices were to wild camp, maybe not the best, especially if it was a tad rainy, or to get up early, roughly about 4am and drive up. I had spoken to one of the organisers who said that I could register in the morning before the ride to save driving up the day before. However, all sorted now... hope you get a result!
  • doogee
    hope you get a result!

Just had a reply, bunk available. Happy boy now!! So thank you for your earlier post. Guess I'll be seeing you tomorrow evening then!!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    If you two guys come back on here Monday with blank periods and sore bottoms, don't say I didn't warn you :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kelsen
    Aah...the beauty of the internet! One minute you're chatting with a complete stranger, next minute you're sharing a (bunk) bed with them!
  • If you two guys come back on here Monday with blank periods and sore bottoms, don't say I didn't warn you :lol:

Why, are you doing the Étape too? :lol:
  • Wallace1492
    kelsen wrote:
    Aah...the beauty of the internet! One minute you're chatting with a complete stranger, next minute you're sharing a (bunk) bed with them!

Hopefully wont be actually sharing the same bed.... Maybe sharing the same roof.
    And yes, on Monday will be walking funny, with a sore bottom. Hopefully without a puntured tube though....
  • Wallace1492
    doogee wrote:
    hope you get a result!

Just had a reply, bunk available. Happy boy now!! So thank you for your earlier post. Guess I'll be seeing you tomorrow evening then!!

Excellent stuff. I am thinking Guinness may be the correct pre - Etape beverage. Full of nutrients and goodness. Any other recomendations?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    doogee wrote:
    hope you get a result!

Excellent stuff. I am thinking Guinness may be the correct pre - Etape beverage. Full of nutrients and goodness. Any other recomendations?

Beer is better than water

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/3467

Allegedly! :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    If you two guys come back on here Monday with blank periods and sore bottoms, don't say I didn't warn you :lol:

Only you could realise that the effect of riding sportives is the same as being abducted by aliens :mrgreen:
  • Wallace1492
    doogee wrote:
    hope you get a result!

Good to meet you doogee, hope my "alleged" snoring didn't put you off too much for the ride. Really enjoyed it and exceeded my expectations..... I am a happy bunny... Roll on next year!!