http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tay ... 672308.stm

Because heaven forbid a road is closed for one day :roll:

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    suzyb wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8672308.stm

Not even for one day, maximun of 4 hours for any part to be closed, and even then on a rolling basis.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    NIMBYism at its British best!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    I remember this from last year, let's just hope this time round nobody gets injured.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098

Simon

Oi! Stop trying to claim Scottish NIMBYs as your own you southern softy :-)
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    You'd think after last year, they'd just keep quiet.
    exercise.png
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    NIMBYs with to much spare time but is there a good reason this isn't run like most other sportives?
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    iPete wrote:
    NIMBYs with to much spare time but is there a good reason this isn't run like most other sportives?

4500 Riders on narrow winding roads.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Kurako wrote:

Simon

Eh, but you live in Tooting, so are more southern softy than I am.......

Unless you count the fact I am a proud man of kent, born and bred within sniffing distance of the salty channel airs?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Hopefully the council will stick to its guns. 4,500 riders spending their cash, vs 500 NIMBYS (all be it, extra-hard Scots ones :lol: ) is quite a simple calculation. It would be interesting to see what groups like the local Chamber of Commerce would have to say about it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    One of their arguments is that the roads being shut will cost the local economy a million pounds.

Errrr... what about the 4500 riders and accompanying accompanyists?

Seriously: are they mental? :?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Seriously: are they mental? :?

Yes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Keiran - no - £1 million is the amount the Etape organisers claim the event brings to the local community.

The campaign group say:
    It is now time for P&K (Perth and Kinross Council) to support a local initiative rather than a multi-national concern based in the south of England.

Uh-huh...
    (They are) proposing to replace the Etape Caledonia with a locally conceived and managed cycle event.

Sounds promising...
    They suggest using electronic tags to track the cyclists so they can race at any time starting from any part of the route.

Doh - why would I travel to the other end of the country for that?! Congratulations campaign group, on completely missing the point of a large organised ride.

I wish your Caledonian TT well.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Kurako wrote:

Simon

Eh, but you live in Tooting, so are more southern softy than I am.......

Unless you count the fact I am a proud man of kent, born and bred within sniffing distance of the salty channel airs?

Simon

Born in Dundee. Moved to Glasgow at 18. Moved to London at 23. Shut it you sassenach!

I think it's a shame that a small group of idiots are kicking up a fuss. It's not as if there's much going on in Perthshire other than hills and salmon. Guaranteed these are the same ones complaining about a few windmills cos it'll spoil their view.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    At least they know it's coming, unlike the marathons that randomly appear on the lane that I live on and are then incredibly rude to me as I try to use the road. I flippin' LIVE here. I have to use the road to go places.

If they told me it was coming I'd make an effort to stay in/out, and put the dogs inside.

:x
  • Alinshearah
    Alinshearah Posts: 339
    The opposition group Anti Road Closed Events (ACRE) is suspending its protest until next year's race has been completed.

that will be ARCE not ACRE then? :o
  • Hoots mon!!

Good old Scottish McNIMBY's

Some people hae nothing better tae do with their McDay.

Must make them feel important, bless 'em

Och aye.
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • Kieran_Burns
    The opposition group Anti Road Closed Events (ACRE) is suspending its protest until next year's race has been completed.

that will be ARCE not ACRE then? :o

Anti Road Stoppage Events maybe?

Or Campaign Opposing Closing Kinross?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    Penrith Roads Against Time TrialS?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • teticio
    teticio Posts: 107
    the acronym is wrong. it says:

"The opposition group Anti Road Closed Events (ACRE) is suspending its protest until next year's race has been completed."

according to this, its should say ARCE with the obvious pronunciation.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Kurako wrote:

Simon

If I remember right, chief NIMBY last year originally came from Kent, or somewhere dan sarf anyway. :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    . I flippin' LIVE here. I have to use the road to go places.

No you don't. I've looked on google streetview and your house has been removed :wink:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    will3 wrote:
    . I flippin' LIVE here. I have to use the road to go places.

No you don't. I've looked on google streetview and your house has been removed :wink:

:lol::lol:
  • Wallace1492
    Its only a few hours the roads are closed. For gawds sake, there are some parts of Scotland that chain up the children's swings on a Sunday, so closing roads for a few hours should be fine. Just not when the Church service is on!!

It is rural Perthshire as well, so most folk will still be in bed with their sister/brother/father/mother/uncle/grandfather/sheep/pig/dog (delete any that do not apply)
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    WE DINNAE LIKE STRANGERS AROON HERE!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Having seen the route I can't believe a million pounds worth of traffic uses those roads in a month, never mind in 4 hours. Best of luck to those taking part - weather is looking good for the weekend 8)
  • Wallace1492
    Having seen the route I can't believe a million pounds worth of traffic uses those roads in a month, never mind in 4 hours. Best of luck to those taking part - weather is looking good for the weekend 8)

Weather looking good.... hmmmm. Report I saw was talking about scattered rain, with intermissions of "wintery" showers. At least it should keep the midges at bay!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449

Weather looking good.... hmmmm. Report I saw was talking about scattered rain, with intermissions of "wintery" showers. At least it should keep the midges at bay!
    This is Scotland so it will probably be both :lol:

But good luck all who are riding it.
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    suzyb wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8672308.stm

Not even for one day, maximun of 4 hours for any part to be closed, and even then on a rolling basis.

And it's for a cancer charity, FFS!!! 4,500 riders will raise a lot of money for them! How can they be so selfish and narrow minded?
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    Kurako wrote:

Simon

Ok, I tried and tried to work it out but failed. Can you please explain to this southern - and foreign - softy what NIMBY means? 8)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    "Not In My Back Yard"

The people who oppose anything happening which might affect their idyllic village outlook.