south downs -brighton area

Comments

• matt-
    matt- Posts: 120
    Went out for a bit of a ride today near Hollingbury golf course to try and find the DH track at Wild Park, which I managed to stumble upon! Its pretty cool, saw a few guys bombing it down there and thought I'd have a bash, which was a pretty dumb idea considering a) I ride an xc bike b) I had zero protection apart from my nobby helmet c) it was my first time using clipless pedals. Needless to say it ended up in complete disaster, but was fun nevertheless. I'm tempted to get some knee pads and put my flats back on to give it a proper go!
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    Sweet, you found it! I've seen some pics of it but never found it.

I should be good for next Saturday at whatever time but seriously, I am sloooow uphill so I only come and meet up if you genuinely don't mind the fact that I crawl uphill. I'm happy to attack the downhill stuff like it spilt my pint but uphill I make a sinclair c5 look fast and efficient. :oops:
  • 1230 next Saturday (the 4th) at the Upper Lodge car park? Up Coldean Lane from the Lewes Road, turn right towards Ditchling Beacon (or left if you're coming from the Hove direction) then it's a few hundred yards along on the right.
  • matt-
    yea I'm up for that - Ransaka I'm sure you're still faster than me, I nearly died yesterday cycling up Ditchling road and that's nothing!

is that right at the top of coldean lane?

stanmer.jpg

now I'm desperate to get my hands on a pair of white Reba's by Saturday D:
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • Ransaka
    12.30's good for me I think. Matt- Up Coldean lane until you get to the road that turns right and goes towards the beacon. The carpark is then on the right about 200 yards up. If you go the way you show on the map turn left instead of right when you get onto the track and it takes you to the car park pretty much.

I'll be the tubby guy on the black pitch comp with the tsg wee pot helmet. :D
  • Have pm'd you both.
  • matt-
    awesome, see you there on saturday
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • Check out the crazy retro bike (with its owner/designer) I met in the woods yesterday:

photo.JPG
  • Ransaka
    That is indeed crazy looking!
    In need something to keep my legs warm as I nearly died of cold this morning in baggys, soooo glad we have a shower at work. Don't want to freeze on Saturday ideally so will dig out some leggings of some sort and some kind of waterproof I suppose.
  • matt-
    yea i think i'm going to take a trip to evans cycles tonight and pick up a waterproof jacket / cycling pants. going to have to change my eggbeaters back to my flats too!
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • Lotus Aerotrope MTB

Seems it was a very expensive (I've seen one reference to £5999) carbon fibre thing with titanium drop-outs, flexible chain stays and a fancy suspension fork with electronic remote lockout! Chris (the rider) designed it for S P Systems who made it for Lotus to capitalise on Boardman's Olympic win in 1992. Still riding it 18 years on so it can't be bad!

It's pretty cold out in the wind isn't it? Makes it feel positively cosy once you're sheltered in the woods! I wonder what the snow situation will be at the weekend? Might be more of a push than a ride in parts...
  • any room for a little one? i could do with getting out more often.
  • Yes! 1230hrs this Sat, 4th Dec at the Upper Lodge car park, subject to the snow not being so deep it's unrideable... Currently we have about 8" of very fluffy powder snow on the edge of the Downs, hopefully it's less deep in the woods!
  • Ransaka
    It was getting unrideable on my way home last night so I'll have to see what Saturday morning brings in terms of weather. Hopefully it'll all be good. :)
  • It is properly deep up here! Forecast is for sub-zero until late on Friday night and then warmer on Saturday but with this much snow on the ground I'm sceptical of it melting in time. However rain is likely on Saturday night which should clear most of it. Should we reschedule for Sunday am instead?
  • matt-
    I dont mind, i'll probably still head out on saturday no matter what, just gave my bike its first proper clean in like 4 months and i need to get it dirty again :)
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • I like riding bikes in the snow but bike pushing is a boring hobby! As long as it's not so deep that I can get some speed up downhill then I'm happy. But if the snow's all 12" deep there won't be time to get round that much of Stanmer in three hours! To be honest I'm up for both Sat and Sun - I have a totally free weekend for my first time in ages... :)
  • Ransaka
    I can't do Sunday this week and if it's still this icy tomorrow I won't make it, don't mind it off road but there's a few miles of on road stuff for me on the way up there and it's lethal at the moment.
  • matt-
    Ransaka if there is too much ice i'll probably throw my bike in the back of the car and drive up there as I have about a 30 minute cycle to Stanmer - I'm not sure if it will fit 2 bikes but if you want then I could give you a lift and try to cram 2 bikes in?

Failing that I'll get the train from Brighton to falmer and just ride through the park
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • Current forecast: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/brighton_forecast_weather.html

So it may be ok by 1230 tomorrow...

Stanmer yesterday:

snowatstanmer2.jpg

(Not my bike!)
  • matt-
    we still on for tomorrow? i've lubed the chain and cleaned out the camelbak ready!
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • I'll be there as planned! It may be a bit of an expedition, so plan for quite a bit of pushing through deep snow...
  • Ransaka
    I won't make it, appear to have developed my bosses cold and am feeling rather sorry for myself. :cry:

Hopefully make one next time.
  • matt-
    lightweight :) all of the snow is gone and it looks perfect!
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • photo.JPG

photo.JPG

Extreme mud ride done. :) But why has so much more of it landed on me?!
  • Ransaka
    Both smiling so it was good fun though :)

Still ridden with manflu :( Though I did get a call from Sydney Street Bikes today and Paligap have replaced my broken Kona Firemountain frame with a Caldera frame including new headset and bottom bracket so good news there at least :)

Let me know if you guys are off out after Christmas and I'll come along on my pitch and embarass myself :D
  • I'll be out this Sat - 1030 at the Uni Sports Centre car park, or 1015 at the Upper Lodge. 2.5 hours of singletrack fun planned!
  • matt-
    I cant get out till later this saturday, maybe 11.30-12ish ;/
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • Anyone up for a ride this Monday (27th)?
  • mattlee
    mattlee Posts: 35
    Any more rides for sussex planned?