no shower @ work

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Well I like to keep it clean and fresh, bit or talc and vaseline to stop or help soothe friction burn.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Well I like to keep it clean and fresh, bit or talc and vaseline to stop or help soothe friction burn.
    Do you get some form of gratification from committing this to ascii?
  • DonDaddyD
    What did I do this time? :roll:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Guys this is horrendous please stop before it gets any worse
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • silentman
    silentman Posts: 7
    wet wipes, the commuters friend. :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    0scar wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Guys this is horrendous please stop before it gets any worse

As oppose to dressing in tight lycra and using chamois cream to help prevent the very same thing?
    Food Chain number = 4

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172

Microfibre towels are freaking awesome. They dry you well, dry amazingly quickly and pack down super-tiny.

Get them from camping shops. Brilliant things.

I've often seen these and wondered if they are any good. My local Tesco sells them, guess they could be a bit cheapo though.....are they like most things, you get what you pay for? Do they do all sizes or just small hand towels which is what I think I've seen.

They are good - but not perfect.

A microfibre towel about the size of 1.5 pieces of A4 will dry you no probs. But if you let it dry in the open air, it will go rock solid - like a piece of card - and will need you to wet it before reuse.

If, OTOH, you put it back in its tube damp, it will ming like a b@stard next time you use it.

I ended up washing mine in diluted Milton's solution before putting it back in its tube damp. So a bit of a faff.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    STOP, please for the love of all things holy STOP.......

There is just far too much info comng out here!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DonDaddyD
    Why?
    Food Chain number = 4

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I find if I light a scented candle and play a bit of Kenny G on the MP3 whilst using the wet wipes in the gents cubicle, it makes the experience a bit more special...
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg66 wrote:

Microfibre towels are freaking awesome. They dry you well, dry amazingly quickly and pack down super-tiny.

I've often seen these and wondered if they are any good. My local Tesco sells them, guess they could be a bit cheapo though.....are they like most things, you get what you pay for? Do they do all sizes or just small hand towels which is what I think I've seen.

A microfibre towel about the size of 1.5 pieces of A4 will dry you no probs. But if you let it dry in the open air, it will go rock solid - like a piece of card - and will need you to wet it before reuse.

If, OTOH, you put it back in its tube damp, it will ming like a b@stard next time you use it.

I ended up washing mine in diluted Milton's solution before putting it back in its tube damp. So a bit of a faff.

Greggles, this is another of those rare occasions when you're wrong.

I think you're thinking of those swimming towels that do go very crispy if you leave them to air-dry. You have to put them back in their tube while slightly damp so they crisp up in a tube-shape.

I'm talking about microfibre fleece-esque towels like this which you can air dry, or bundle back in the little bag without fear of stench or crispiness.

Seriously, they're brilliant.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    kelsen wrote:
    Don't eat spicy food the night before
    Shower before you head out
    Wear clean cycling gear every day
    Wash your helmet (and your rucksack if you use one) regularly
    Wet wipes when you get in to work
    A quick squirt of deodorant
    Try to air dry your cycling gear before the journey home

Naturally! :shock:

Can't believe no-one picked up on that one... seriously though, shower before you leave the house, take it easy on the way in, wear merino/natural fibres to lessen the chance of stink build-up & baby wipes once you get there, then do a wee dance so they moisture from those evaporates & no real need for a towel... microfibre camping ones are pretty good if you do want a quick wash in the sink though, then add some deodorant spray and you're rocking.
    5 easy going miles shouldn't leave you looking like a disheveled mess - that's only me who's allowaed that kind of concession :wink:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • DonDaddyD
    I think the fitter and healthier your diet the less likely you are to stink. Also overall hygiene is a considerable factor (wash everyday, clean clothes, underwear, shirts socks, shoes, etc).

How do you clean a helmet, seriously? I've had mine for a year or two now, never cleaned it... I may buy a new one...
    Food Chain number = 4

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    How do you clean a helmet, seriously? I've had mine for a year or two now, never cleaned it... I may buy a new one...

I make up a disinfecting solution with Milton sterilising fluid and dunk the whole helmet into it for at least half an hour. Then rinse and air dry overnight. Nice and fresh!
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Greg66 wrote:

I think you're thinking of those swimming towels that do go very crispy if you leave them to air-dry. You have to put them back in their tube while slightly damp so they crisp up in a tube-shape.

I'm talking about microfibre fleece-esque towels like this which you can air dry, or bundle back in the little bag without fear of stench or crispiness.

Ahem. I think you'll find I'm not wrong at all.

I'm just a bit confused.

When I said "microfibre", I think it was clear to everyone (well, almost) that I mean "swimming". I expressed no view whatsoever (if you'll allow me to answer the question) on microfibre towels, in any of their myriad forms.

I think we can all be clear that under the current Government, everyone will be provided with free microfibre towels every day. Whereas under the previous Labour administration, we all remember the dark days of being forced to use smelly swimming towels, with extra smell added. And tax.

I think nurse is overdue with the tray of pretty colours today.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I make up a disinfecting solution with Milton sterilising fluid and dunk the whole helmet into it for at least half an hour. Then rinse and air dry overnight. Nice and fresh!

I'd prob just buy new pads for it & baby wipe the shell... or not bother - don't think mine stinks, although i'm paranoid now :?
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    How do you clean a helmet, seriously? I've had mine for a year or two now, never cleaned it...

Fnar fnar, yuk yuk, gnurk gnurk.

Seriously? Look on the internet. The answer's out there. Just don't do it at work. :wink:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Ahem. I think you'll find I'm not wrong at all.

I'm just a bit confused.

When I said "microfibre", I think it was clear to everyone (well, almost) that I mean "swimming". I expressed no view whatsoever (if you'll allow me to answer the question) on microfibre towels, in any of their myriad forms.

I think we can all be clear that under the current Government, everyone will be provided with free microfibre towels every day. Whereas under the previous Labour administration, we all remember the dark days of being forced to use smelly swimming towels, with extra smell added. And tax.

I think nurse is overdue with the tray of pretty colours today.

Ahhhh, so you misspoke. My bad. There's a lot of it about these days.

( :lol: )
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,439
    When I used to commute years ago (15 miles each way used as training) I used to take one of those spray bottles you get in garden centres filled with water and with left over aftershaves and soap mixed in. I would just strip off in the loos, stand on a towel, douse myself down and have a good rub down with a towel then a good coveriong of deodorant. Never had any complaints. The biggest problem is drying kit out without offending everyone else in the room! Fortunately the weather has been cool on my way in on both commutes since I've started back and I'm too slow to build up a sweat :D
  • SteveEB
    SteveEB Posts: 21
    Sorry about resurrecting an old thread but I'm a new commuter and have exactly this problem. There's some really useful advice here (and some entertaining comments too!).

I started a new job 3 weeks ago which is a pleasant, flat, 6 mile commute by bike, which I'm loving after 10 years of motorway commuting! The first week or so was great weather but I knew it wouldn't last so I made the effort to get some waterproof gear to keep my workwear dry. But I've found that I'm arriving at work just as wet as I would be if I didn't have waterproofs! Except with sweat!

So I think I need different tactics. I think I need to wear some commuting gear and have a quick rub down and get changed into my workwear in the toilets. The suggestion of wet wipes and microfibre towel seems ideal. And I think I'll get some merino base layers and maybe a windproof jacket rather than a waterproof one. With maybe a mac for when it's really persisting down. I've found I've been cycling faster when it's raining too, to get to work sooner, but that's making the problem worse of course, so I need to sloooooow down in the mornings and then go for it on the way home instead. I've been wearing jeans too and I'm not sure I'm ready for cycling shorts yet! My legs are too pale and skinny at the moment and I think I'd be too self concious walking through the office to get to the toilets! Maybe when I've been there longer!

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Steve
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I do take it easy on the way in, fresh kit everyday, wet wipes plus soap depending on the heat of the day, have found that does the trick plus a good deodorant/anti perspirant plus getting in early to cool down a bit before.

I use the disabled toilet at work and have never had a bad comment at all smell wise.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    lastant wrote:
    I'm about to start a new job in a place without a shower. There's a Fitness First nearby (Berkeley Square), does anyone have experience of joining a Fitness First for lower rates just to use the showers? Or know of any other gyms in the area? Lansdowne club, maybe?

I got rather used to the cushty situation in my last office with shower rooms and drying areas etc. Damn it.

There's a 'bending of the rules' you can play with Fitness First in that you can usually use their memberships for any gym in their chain...unfortunately, Berkeley Square isn't a reciprocal gym.

A couple of FItness Firsts Oxford Street way though, so if you don't mind a bit of a walk it'd work for you. What you need to do is sign up to Fitness First outside of London - I know the Peterborough branch was doing memberships for sub-£25 over Christmas, which could be used in the majority of London branches.

Worth shopping round - or just going in and asking the manager. They've got £x amount to play with each month as far as I'm aware so can get some cracking deals if you're lucky / persistent enough!

Sub £25 sounds cheap. I'm in the "UK Fitness Network" which allows me to use hundreds of gyms across the country and in London. I pay the full thing in 1 lump sum every year coz it's cheaper. You can usually squeeze a free month or 2 in after your membership has lapsed because the card you get to show membership is only usable in the swipe machines at the actual gym you join at, if you go to other gyms in the scheme, although you can get in, the staff have to actually enter your membership number on the computer to find out if your membership is still valid and most don't - they just wave you through after glancing at your card. If they do check you just claim you didn't know it had lapsed and then don't go to that particular gym again, just go to another one. Also last time I renewed I ummed and aahed about rejoining and the woman on the phone knocked about £40 or £50 off the membership so it was £480 for the year. It's definitely worth haggling or pretending you're no interested. How much does everyone else pay for gym membership?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    SteveEB wrote:
    Sorry about resurrecting an old thread but I'm a new commuter and have exactly this problem. There's some really useful advice here (and some entertaining comments too!).

I started a new job 3 weeks ago which is a pleasant, flat, 6 mile commute by bike, which I'm loving after 10 years of motorway commuting! The first week or so was great weather but I knew it wouldn't last so I made the effort to get some waterproof gear to keep my workwear dry. But I've found that I'm arriving at work just as wet as I would be if I didn't have waterproofs! Except with sweat!

So I think I need different tactics. I think I need to wear some commuting gear and have a quick rub down and get changed into my workwear in the toilets. The suggestion of wet wipes and microfibre towel seems ideal. And I think I'll get some merino base layers and maybe a windproof jacket rather than a waterproof one. With maybe a mac for when it's really persisting down. I've found I've been cycling faster when it's raining too, to get to work sooner, but that's making the problem worse of course, so I need to sloooooow down in the mornings and then go for it on the way home instead. I've been wearing jeans too and I'm not sure I'm ready for cycling shorts yet! My legs are too pale and skinny at the moment and I think I'd be too self concious walking through the office to get to the toilets! Maybe when I've been there longer!

Steve

Whereabouts are you? Get yourself off to a Decathlon or similar and get some shorts - they don't have to be short, they can be past knee or 3/4 length but if they're the right material they'll keep you a lot cooler than heavy cotton jeans.

No doubt you'll get comments on pasty white legs on day 1, maybe even day 2, then after that the novelty will wear off. "Argh, my eyes!", "Yup, they're legs, morning Dave", "Morning Steve".
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    How much does everyone else pay for gym membership?

£41 a month for Fitness First Black Label (all their gyms). Seems to be quite cheap for that level.
    Work then subsidise it by £250, which is handy, so works out at £20 for me.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    dhope wrote:

£41 a month for Fitness First Black Label (all their gyms). Seems to be quite cheap for that level.

That's a fraction more than mine then but yours is subsidised. I like UK Fitness Network because it allows you to use Jubilee Hall in Covent Garden which is a very good gym - massive with high glass ceilings and lots of natural light. FF would be next on my list if UKFN became more expensive...
  • Headhuunter
    dhope wrote:

I've just realised yuor commute is almost the same as one of the routes I take. I've probably passed you before :wink:

I joined UKFN at The Arches in Greenwich which is round the corner from you...
  • SteveEB
    SteveEB Posts: 21
    dhope wrote:
    SteveEB wrote:

Steve

Whereabouts are you? Get yourself off to a Decathlon or similar and get some shorts - they don't have to be short, they can be past knee or 3/4 length but if they're the right material they'll keep you a lot cooler than heavy cotton jeans.

No doubt you'll get comments on pasty white legs on day 1, maybe even day 2, then after that the novelty will wear off. "Argh, my eyes!", "Yup, they're legs, morning Dave", "Morning Steve".

Lol. Yeah maybe I just need to be brave.
  • dhope
    dhope wrote:

I've just realised yuor commute is almost the same as one of the routes I take. I've probably passed you before :wink:

Almost certainly, I live about half a mile from the Arches. I joined FF though as the gym is next to work. What bike should I be looking for, I'll be disappointed if you're doing any less than 35 ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    dhope wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Almost certainly, I live about half a mile from the Arches. I joined FF though as the gym is next to work. What bike should I be looking for, I'll be disappointed if you're doing any less than 35 ;)

I'm usually on a blue Ribble 7005, the basic "horizonatal" frame they do, with full Tiagra group. I've got a 50 litre "Forclaz" Decathlon rucksack and wear baggies over lycra (full length or shorts depending on the weather) with either a sleeveless cotton top or some kind of jacket (again depending on the weather. I wear a white Giro Monza helmet with a cap underneath. DHB SPD clip on shoes.... Look out for me! What do you look like? I join your route where Deptford Church St hits Creek Rd....
  • d.mart
    d.mart Posts: 88
    dhope wrote:

Which FF are you a member of? Cottons? I joined Monument and it's £42.95 a month for the Platinum membership which is...quite annoying really considering the gym itself is actually complete pony and to switch to another club starts the 12 month contract again.

On a seperate note I do almost exactly the same commute but from Charlton to Monument. I'm pretty early though leaving Charlton at 6am so nothing on the road really. Home time is normal though at 1730 ish so we've probably crossed paths once or twice...black Langster Stealth

In reality just a stock Langster with stickers removed, perfect for that early morning start eh?