no shower @ work

spykes
spykes Posts: 31
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi guys just ordered my 1st bike, nothing fancy its a Ribble touring/audax 7005 frame (I think) Going to use it to commute when I get a bit fitter.

Only problem is that @ my work there are no shower facilities.
Anybody found a way round this?

I work in sales and dont want to smell all day and did nt really want to wash in the sink but may have to??? :cry:

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Decent wicking clothing, and changing as soon as I get in tends to work for me.

I work in IT though, it's not hard to smell better than my colleagues :)
  • I would suggest a merino wool base layer. The wool is naturally anti bacterial. It soaks up your sweat but doesnt seem to promote the same smell as say a helly hansen base layer.

I definitely find I am less stinky if I wear merino. In anything else the familiar "eau de tom cat" soon develops.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    do you work near a gym?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • spykes
    spykes Posts: 31
    Sadly no gym near by and think a quick wash in a sink will have to do me then. not exactly a clean kitchen anyway with 6 men using it :?
  • Baby wipes... if you can bear it. Definitely use sweat wicking clothing, and take some baby wipes and deoderant to give yourself a clean off when you get to work.

Thats what I used to do when I went to the gym in my lunch hour!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Don't eat spicy food the night before
    Shower before you head out
    Wear clean cycling gear every day
    Wash your helmet (and your rucksack if you use one) regularly
    Wet wipes when you get in to work
    A quick squirt of deodorant
    Try to air dry your cycling gear before the journey home
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I'm about to start a new job in a place without a shower. There's a Fitness First nearby (Berkeley Square), does anyone have experience of joining a Fitness First for lower rates just to use the showers? Or know of any other gyms in the area? Lansdowne club, maybe?

I got rather used to the cushty situation in my last office with shower rooms and drying areas etc. Damn it.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I'm about to start a new job in a place without a shower. There's a Fitness First nearby (Berkeley Square), does anyone have experience of joining a Fitness First for lower rates just to use the showers? Or know of any other gyms in the area? Lansdowne club, maybe?

I got rather used to the cushty situation in my last office with shower rooms and drying areas etc. Damn it.

I doubt Fitness First have membership for changing facilities only. I've just cancelled my £46 a month peak membership as I was only using it as a glorified changing room. You could enquire about off-peak membership and whether that allows you to use the showers at all times. Highly unlikely though.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526

There's a 'bending of the rules' you can play with Fitness First in that you can usually use their memberships for any gym in their chain...unfortunately, Berkeley Square isn't a reciprocal gym.

A couple of FItness Firsts Oxford Street way though, so if you don't mind a bit of a walk it'd work for you. What you need to do is sign up to Fitness First outside of London - I know the Peterborough branch was doing memberships for sub-£25 over Christmas, which could be used in the majority of London branches.

Worth shopping round - or just going in and asking the manager. They've got £x amount to play with each month as far as I'm aware so can get some cracking deals if you're lucky / persistent enough!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • milan_ns
    milan_ns Posts: 49
    Just shower before heading out and bring set of fresh clothes & a good deodorant - it works for me.

Bottom line, I sweat less when cycling then when commuting by tube - there is also a comforting fact that the sweat is... well my own :)
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    I'm about to start a new job in a place without a shower. There's a Fitness First nearby (Berkeley Square), does anyone have experience of joining a Fitness First for lower rates just to use the showers? .

I was a member of Fitness First near Bishopsgate for a year or so, JUST to use their showers. When I joined I asked about a reduced rate for just using showers. They said "Oh, we have a number of cyclists who just use the showers; unfortunately we cannot offer a reduced rate". They know they have you, and so they take your money from you.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    milan_ns wrote:
    Just shower before heading out and bring set of fresh clothes & a good deodorant - it works for me.

Bottom line, I sweat less when cycling then when commuting by tube - there is also a comforting fact that the sweat is... well my own :)

+1
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    how far is the commute? under 5 miles should be possible in work clothes and without getting to a sweaty mess. assuming no double chevron hills etc.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have no showers at work...

I commute 7.5 miles, wear a decent wicking base layer (or only layer) and pace myself on the way in to keep sweat levels down (I have 3 largish hills so need to 'manage' them) I also use a decent anti-persperant before I leave. At work the only changing facility (as such) is the disabled loo, I actually use a lockable conference room behind my desk! I keep a 'wash in a can' as "its a great way to freshen up" (Bonus points for those who can ID that quote!) while changing.

On the way home is when I 'give it some'!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • plonk
    plonk Posts: 37
    I have no shower at work either. My commute is 10 miles, but then i get a 30 minute train journey to dry off a little before getting to work. A massive +1 for merino though. I bought 5 fairly cheap wicking base layers for every day of the week, and wish i'd spent the money on a couple of merino tops. Fresh out of the wash my tops now have that horrible acrid sweat smell after wearing it for 5 mins, which you dont get with the magic merino wool.

I can recommend Mitchum deoderant too!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm using cheap (2 for £10) wicking base layers from one of the high street 'sports' outlets and they work just fine.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lost_in_thought
    WesternWay wrote:
    I'm about to start a new job in a place without a shower. There's a Fitness First nearby (Berkeley Square), does anyone have experience of joining a Fitness First for lower rates just to use the showers? .

I was a member of Fitness First near Bishopsgate for a year or so, JUST to use their showers. When I joined I asked about a reduced rate for just using showers. They said "Oh, we have a number of cyclists who just use the showers; unfortunately we cannot offer a reduced rate". They know they have you, and so they take your money from you.

Sounds like what I thought they'd say! I'm going to try to get into the Lansdowne - it's much cheaper and has a pool!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Sounds like what I thought they'd say! I'm going to try to get into the Lansdowne - it's much cheaper and has a pool!
    Isn't your shampoo going to be a problem for the people trying to swim?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    You really shouldn't smell during the work day if you start off with a) clean cycling gear, b) clean change of clothes and c) clean you.
  • lost_in_thought
    biondino wrote:
    You really shouldn't smell during the work day if you start off with a) clean cycling gear, b) clean change of clothes and c) clean you.

You're right of course. I just got used to my routine at the last place and liked it! It also means I can ride my backside off on the way to work and not worry about being all sweaty and icky.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    1. Merino base layer. Dress warm enough to cut out chill but stay cool (does that make any sense? :? ).
    2. Take it easy going in. Work out on the way home.
    3. Disabled toilets give you much more room and are generally single person use so you don't have to peel lycra off in front of collegues :oops:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    +1 for the baby wipes.

Is there any other office near yours who do have showers and maybe you could come to some agreement with them?
    They might not be able to offer you any space for storage/drying of clothes/towels though. Lycra dries out quickly in the office - I don't think towels are quite as good.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Lycra dries out quickly in the office - I don't think towels are quite as good.

OMG I've just had a Dragon's Den moment...lycra towels. Sssshhhh, keep it to yourselves.
  • lost_in_thought
    Lycra dries out quickly in the office - I don't think towels are quite as good.

OMG I've just had a Dragon's Den moment...lycra towels. Sssshhhh, keep it to yourselves.

Microfibre towels are freaking awesome. They dry you well, dry amazingly quickly and pack down super-tiny.

Get them from camping shops. Brilliant things.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188

Microfibre towels are freaking awesome. They dry you well, dry amazingly quickly and pack down super-tiny.

Get them from camping shops. Brilliant things.

I've often seen these and wondered if they are any good. My local Tesco sells them, guess they could be a bit cheapo though.....are they like most things, you get what you pay for? Do they do all sizes or just small hand towels which is what I think I've seen.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited May 2010
    I've posted this many many times.

- Shower before I leave the house, always as I prefer to moisturise..
    - Cycle into work.
    - No shower at work, so (if I have to), three point wipe (pits and crotch) with shower gel and flannel over the basin and somehow I dry naturally .
    - Spray antiperspriant (Nivea silver protect is the nuts)
    - Tree tree oil facial wipe for face. I don't moisturise the face after I cycle at the moment, face is oily enough.
    - Put on clean clothes.

Get into work smelling fine. I've seen more sweaty and more smelly people who smoke or come off the train or do both.

If you are that concious, just get into work before everyone else does and pretend you shower/get ready in some impossible/impractical fashion.

Things you need to watch out for is cycle shoes, clothes drying on radiators and your cycle jacket as that can reek. Keep those away from people.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    :shock: How much would you have to reek for your crotch-smell to be an issue at work?!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    biondino wrote:
    :shock: How much would you have to reek for your crotch-smell to be an issue at work?!

I beg your pardon?

It doesn't, it's just a hot spot that I instinctively give a good rub down when I'm getting washed...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    That's fair enough, but for all practical reasons I don't think that area need be a concern when thinking of workspace hygiene.
  • biondino
    Unless you're a stripper obv.