Giro d'Italia - stage 3 - Middelburg - *SPOILER*

12346»

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    knedlicky wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Isn't it against etiquette to take advantage of another rider's fall?
    I don’t believe in such rules. I don’t think they existed in the past, at least not to the same extent as they started to be some time during LA’s era. I’m sure Merckx’s opponents took the opportunity..

Yes I agree - I remember Armstrong sticking Hincapie on the front to hammer home the advantage when Zulle crashed on an early stage of the Tour in 1999 going over the Passage du Gois effectively ending Zulle's challenge.

Yesterday they were already racing - there were cross winds - nobody is going to sit up and wait in those circumstances.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    knedlicky wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    I don’t believe in such rules. I don’t think they existed in the past, at least not to the same extent as they started to be some time during LA’s era. I’m sure Merckx’s opponents took the opportunity.

I think you'll find this etiquette existed more in the days of Merckx and co than it does now. Back then the peloton pretty much did what it was told by the top dogs. They controlled things far more than LA ever has. If you look at the mid 80's when English speakers started to come to the fore in the GTs there were big fall outs as they had a tendency to do their own thing rather what the big boys told them to do.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Will the TTT gaps be the actual time gaps or are there some sort of limits rather like the TdF applied a couple of years back?
  • Bernardus
    Bernardus Posts: 136
    dougzz wrote:
    Will the TTT gaps be the actual time gaps or are there some sort of limits rather like the TdF applied a couple of years back?

I think the Giro always uses the actual time gaps and IIRC the Tour has also stopped using those standardized times.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dougzz wrote:

Yeah. They get round it by making the courses a little shorter.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Weylandt won? And then got bollocked by Greipel for winning using his train?

What a legend.

This is another stage (a healthy) Freire could have won: he's a proven classics guy who can hold his own when fighting for position and keeping his nose clean in crashes, plus he's great at winning without much team help. How much do people mention the Rabobank train?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Pross wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    I don’t believe in such rules. I don’t think they existed in the past, at least not to the same extent as they started to be some time during LA’s era. I’m sure Merckx’s opponents took the opportunity.
    I think you'll find this etiquette existed more in the days of Merckx and co than it does now. Back then the peloton pretty much did what it was told by the top dogs. They controlled things far more than LA ever has. If you look at the mid 80's when English speakers started to come to the fore in the GTs there were big fall outs as they had a tendency to do their own thing rather what the big boys told them to do.
    The question isn't about control of the peloton or doing one’s own thing and I don’t think one could charge Merckx or his rivals with much etiquette. On different occasions in 1971-72, Merckx attacked just a few kms down the road after a crash which affected one of his rivals – maybe he meant anyway to attack just then but I doubt it. Basso, Gimondi, Ocana, and Thevenet could all testify to this, but as far as I know none ever claimed Merck’s behaviour was unsporting. And they attacked him given the chance, like the occasion when a spectator hit him on a climb; Thevenet never hesitated for one second then.

LA and Ullrich demonstrated the PC etiquette of not taking advantage of another rider's fall in recent famous Tour incidents, but other times LA seems to have interpreted etiquette to what best suited him.
    Tom Butcher above quotes the 1999 stage when Zulle went down on the Breton causeway and LA attacked, and it wasn’t just Zulle who fell, but also Gotti and Boogie, so 'three birds with one stone'. And when Beloki crashed badly and LA took a short cut through a field, LA never eased up although initially he wouldn’t have known Beloki’s condition, while on another occasion, LA made the most of Mayo crashing.

Perhaps the absurdest of all was when LA crashed about 30 km into a 190 km stage of the Dauphine Libere and then complained that Patrice Halgand attacked before a whole hour had gone by since his crash, i.e. before LA had got back his composure. Apart from now specifying a time duration which was to apply to the etiquette of not attacking after a rider has fallen, Halgand wasn’t even a serious rival - at the time he was over 11 mins down on LA and eventually finished 15 mins down, about 20th overall.

If people keep on about etiquette, the next step will be to say the likes of Weylandt (as yesterday) are way out of turn and that ‘stray’ riders should not be in sprints.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I wouldn't write Vino off in the mountains quite yet! I think it would take someone special to dislodge him, and I don't think Evans is that rider. Maybe if he gets done over by a few riders (Basso, Nibali, Evans, Wiggins?)
    Vino in no way should beat Evans in the mountains, if he does then wait for the test results !!

Beat him in Liege and that's hardly the Fens is it?
    Compared to the climbs coming in the giro yes it is :D
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    I wouldn't write Vino off in the mountains quite yet! I think it would take someone special to dislodge him, and I don't think Evans is that rider. Maybe if he gets done over by a few riders (Basso, Nibali, Evans, Wiggins?)
    Vino in no way should beat Evans in the mountains, if he does then wait for the test results !!

Beat him in Liege and that's hardly the Fens is it?
    Compared to the climbs coming in the giro yes it is :D

I'd rather ask what Evans was on if he drops any of the other contendors. I wouldn't say he's shown any particular ability to really put the hammer down in a Grand Tour mountain stage.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    He did it in the Coppi e Bartali race a couple of years ago. Attacked 9km from the top of the final climb and won the stage.
    http://www.steephill.tv/2008/coppi-e-ba ... /stage-03/
    Would love to see that in a GT race but he's too nervous/cautious to gamble like that.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    AP
    610x.jpg
    610x.jpg
    610x.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    HTC lead out yet he didn't finsh well - just looked like he didn't have the speed, maybe too tired.
    http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozon ... n/1.777352
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Looked like (from the aerial viewpoint) that he was in the wrong gear relative to the others coming out of the left-hand corner.

Fatigue? Maybe, mental as well as physical. They did a lot of work in the last couple of hours and once the breaks happened maybe he was distracted from eating, considering the constant need to concentrate on staying in that fast front group, plus the twisty sandy roads, crashes and cross-winds that were happening.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    1bettiniphoto_0052147_1_full_download__600.jpg

You just wouldn't want to be the Rabobank rider...
  • frenchfighter
    LOL. That was probably the worst one I can remember.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Apologies if this has been posted already but its hilarious. A local rider (in black top) decided to hang onto the back of the group on the Middelburg stage and got as far as 3km from the finish .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4bh7rKf ... r_embedded
  • frenchfighter
    Lol, you don't see that very often. He is pretty small. Any idea how long he was riding with them?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bernardus
    Bernardus Posts: 136
    thomasmc wrote:
    Apologies if this has been posted already but its hilarious. A local rider (in black top) decided to hang onto the back of the group on the Middelburg stage and got as far as 3km from the finish .

The rider is Joannathan Duinkerke, he's the Dutch national champion for mentally challenged riders. There is a small article and a short interview with him here:
    http://www.omroepzeeland.nl/sport/9237/2010-05-11/zeeuwse-renner-gespot-in-giro-peloton.html

Summary: He's only the fourth rider from the province of Zeeland to take part in the Giro. He rode with the last group/bus for 7-10 km. He recognized several riders (some of whom aren't even taking part in this Giro) and a Rabo rider recognized him. In a group that passed before he started riding, a Colnago rider crashed. He put the chain back on the bike and gave the rider a push. The Tour de France will pass even closer to his hometown of Goes...
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Bernardus wrote:
    thomasmc wrote:

The rider is Joannathan Duinkerke, he's the Dutch national champion for mentally challenged riders. There is a small article and a short interview with him here:
    http://www.omroepzeeland.nl/sport/9237/2010-05-11/zeeuwse-renner-gespot-in-giro-peloton.html

Summary: He's only the fourth rider from the province of Zeeland to take part in the Giro. He rode with the last group/bus for 7-10 km. He recognized several riders (some of whom aren't even taking part in this Giro) and a Rabo rider recognized him. In a group that passed before he started riding, a Colnago rider crashed. He put the chain back on the bike and gave the rider a push. The Tour de France will pass even closer to his hometown of Goes...

Didn't know that! By the look of things he got a good reaction from the crowd & the peleton so he might give the tour a go. Good luck to him if he does!