Giro d'Italia - stage 3 - Middelburg - *SPOILER*

Comments

• cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    the mountains should be good with some of the big boys down time, people are going to have to attack big sticks
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,867
    iainf72 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Basso did the same with the goofed up Spaniards in the Vuelta when Evans punctured.

I think you're being a bit sensitive fella.

its not good thou...vino and his squad of cyborgs... bit of luck he will get stuck to the zoncalan and die a million deaths
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    FJS wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Trying to put time in to him when he's getting back on after a crash. It was Liquigas and Vino at the head of affairs in the front group.

Basso did the same with the goofed up Spaniards in the Vuelta when Evans punctured.

Stages like today make a mockery of the sport.
    A bit of an overreaction - it happened in the last 10km, with already the whole field broken up into several frantically chasing echelons - not exactly the conditions to sit up and wait.

Didn't have to wait, but they really put the hammer down. Why not settle in and let HTC do the work?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Timoid. wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Luckao wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Isn't it against etiquette to take advantage of another rider's fall?

The Vuelta and today appear to suggest that Evans doesn't count.

Can't believe he's doing so much work in the group behind...

Forget about doping. Vino and Basso are complete cheats on the road.

Why didn't Sastre shift his lazy ars*?

How so?

Trying to put time in to him when he's getting back on after a crash. It was Liquigas and Vino at the head of affairs in the front group.

Stages like today make a mockery of the sport.

Hmmm, I don't know. If the group was rolling along at a lesiurely pace I could understand, but the front groups were really driving it. Vino and Basso avoided the crashes, just because it was the pink jersey I don't understand why they'd be entitled to sit up. No one waited for Wiggins yesterday.

And did anyone else hear them playing "It's a sin" by Pet Shop Boys just after Vino got Pink? Ironic!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Vino is the man. Not called nails for no reason.

Evans crossed the line some 45 seconds down, with Wiggins and the Sky group only now coming in at four minutes.

- This is unacceptable for a GC contender. I guess there is quite a lot of practicing to do before the Tour. And this stage just goes to show what people say about it being lucky and all that and you could lose your whole GC in 1 stage like this. Exciting for the viewers but there is a time and a place for those conditions and they aren't Grand Tours.

That's why they keep making stages like this. Exciting for viewers, keeps em coming back, viwers keep advertisers interested, advertisers keep TV interested, TV money keeps the race going. Way of the world. And would you rather that or 6 echelons rolling through a desert a la the Vuelta?

It may well be exciting in a fashion but when you have GC contenders going down losing time and one of them out of the race altogether already just how does that make the race more exciting?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I thought GC contenders losing time was what made Grand Tours exciting?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    iainf72 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

I think you're being a bit sensitive fella.

+1. Blame the course, if you like, but that's racing.
    Happens all the time. Can't sit up all the time.
    Remember USPS/Phonak putting the hammer down on "Yellow" Thor, back in 2004?
    That was 50 odd kms from the finish and they never let up.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2010
    Vino is the man. Not called nails for no reason.

Evans crossed the line some 45 seconds down, with Wiggins and the Sky group only now coming in at four minutes.

- This is unacceptable for a GC contender. I guess there is quite a lot of practicing to do before the Tour. And this stage just goes to show what people say about it being lucky and all that and you could lose your whole GC in 1 stage like this. Exciting for the viewers but there is a time and a place for those conditions and they aren't Grand Tours.

That's why they keep making stages like this. Exciting for viewers, keeps em coming back, viwers keep advertisers interested, advertisers keep TV interested, TV money keeps the race going. Way of the world. And would you rather that or 6 echelons rolling through a desert a la the Vuelta?

the echelons are alright its the crashes on the street furniture that seem a tad dangerous..

breaking the peloton apart in the wind on a causeway(that isn't tidal and covered with seaweed) is good racing but squeezing them through all that street junk is not right

too their credit they just got on with it in a professional manner
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844

It may do but it's been reduced to a lottery. This is not a race. It's the luckiest rider profits.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021

Considering it's how the winner is determined at the end I thought it would be par for the course :wink:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    What happened to Sastre and Nibs?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Bakunin wrote:
    What happened to Sastre and Nibs?

Nibs was right up there in 8th place. Sastre with Evans I think.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    Nibali is coming in under the Radar again...
  • timoid.
    Evans nearly made contact (within 15 seconds) and then the front group pushed on again. They didn't need to do a Bahamontes and eat an ice cream, but cranking it up again was cynical.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Must admit, I can't help but be impressed by how good Vino has looked. It's not only his current GC rivals that will be looking on nervously.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Zomegnan's going to be hurting as the Pink Jersey's put on Vino's shoulders.
  • timoid.
    Wait til he wears the maillot jaune.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    And isn't it amazing how the wily old heads are so often in the front group that arrives home on days like this?

Thinking of 'you know who' in the Tour, and note Vino, Garzelli, Scarponi and Millar, among others, all came home safe today.

Age and experience has gotta count for something (says a 42 year-old!)...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • luckao
    greeny12 wrote:
    And isn't it amazing how the wily old heads are so often in the front group that arrives home on days like this?

Thinking of 'you know who' in the Tour, and note Vino, Garzelli, Scarponi and Millar, among others, all came home safe today.

Age and experience has gotta count for something (says a 42 year-old!)...

Of course. As long as they don't go mentioning it in post-race comments, otherwise they end up looking silly a week later when youth shows its owns strengths...
  • mididoctors
    Timoid. wrote:
    Evans nearly made contact (within 15 seconds) and then the front group pushed on again. They didn't need to do a Bahamontes and eat an ice cream, but cranking it up again was cynical.

yeah it was.... but the intention was transparent....
  • mididoctors
    Timoid. wrote:
    Wait til he wears the maillot jaune.

somebody needs to flick that tw@t into a ditch
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I'd hardly think it will bother Zomegnan that Vino is in pink, given some of the hoodlums who've graced his race in past years. He'll be chuffed tonight, another circus of a stage, loads of publicity, job done.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wait until the mountains come. Evans will torch them. The steeper the better.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • timoid.
    DaveyL wrote:
    I'd hardly think it will bother Zomegnan that Vino is in pink, given some of the hoodlums who've graced his race in past years. He'll be chuffed tonight, another circus of a stage, loads of publicity, job done.

Nail. Head.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    Zomegnan also has a few GC contendors in arrears, so they'll have to go on the offensive rather than riding defensively. It could be a great race now.

I missed the first week of the Vuelta last year, did that have similar problems in terms of crashes?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Wait until the mountains come. Evans will torch them. The steeper the better.

He might even make up some of the time he'll have lost in the flat stages and TTT because of his team.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • luckao
    andyp wrote:
    Zomegnan also has a few GC contendors in arrears, so they'll have to go on the offensive rather than riding defensively. It could be a great race now.

I missed the first week of the Vuelta last year, did that have similar problems in terms of crashes?

As far as I remember, one major crash coming off of a roundabout. Think Mosquera was one of those who suffered the most. Other than that, they had a stroll through the Dutch suburbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=586ro7-oy_I

My memory isn't great, but I don't remember it as being an unforgettable start.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Harmon made a good point about the Vuelta today - that race often goes through small twisty towns, but it usually ends the stages on the outskirts of town with a big wide run-in.

I know most of the crashes haven't been at the finish so far, but the finishes have been dicey too.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    If Evans is only 30 or so seconds down on Vino when they reach stage 8 I don't think it will be a problem. But there is the time trial to come...
  • Bernardus
    Bernardus Posts: 136
    andyp wrote:

There was one major crash, close to the finish in Belgium (I think it was Liege). That crash was a combination of the rain and a roundabout.