Does watching pro races make you faster?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
So, on Saturday I paid £2.99 for Eurosports on iPhone, having locked myself away from Ms DDD I embarked on a journey of discovery. As I sat there watching the form of a Russian cyclist with back perfectly flat, on the drops, arms poised and knees within the elbows I began to think of my own commute and my form.

All week I was thinking about the Russian. But It was at night laying in bed as I looked at my bike, my minds eye carved out through the pitch black canvas of darkness a silhouette of myself upon it, perfectly formed, like the Russian.

So I embarked on my commute and if it was filmed it would be called "Into the Headwind". I went on the drops, my back straight and my arms poised. I was the Russian, efficient, disciplined, fast. I felt awesome.

I can't wait for what the next race will teach me.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    "No" GMV.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DDD, it sounds like you enjoyed Eurosport a little too much.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Does your missus know that you lie awake at night thinking about male russian cyclists? :shock:

I'm sure you can pick up some useful pointers by watching the pros.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Of course it makes you faster
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Definitely. Although when the grand tours are on I spend far too much time watching them when I should be out riding.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    No, it doesn't make you faster.

However it proves beyond all doubt that the only difference between us and them is the quality of our bikes. If I had a new Colnago I would soar like an eagle.

I look forward to you forthcoming "Why is my back sore?" thread!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Does watching the boxing make you more likely to win a fight? No, but it makes you more likely to start one.

Does watching the F1 make you a faster driver? Does watching the football make you a better footballer?

Does sitting on your couch staring at a box make you better at sport?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I have to say I flew for a week after watching roubaix this year. I went up the hill to my house better after watching paris-nice.

Although in the end I'm still slow as shite, the effects don't last long.

I'm surprised after yesterday I didn't spend my commute writhing around on the floor.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DonDaddyD

Does watching the boxing make you more likely to win a fight? No, but it makes you more likely to start one.

I don't think it makes you more likely to start a fight. Dragonball Z certainly made me a better fighter as did Fist of the North Star and Iron Monkey....
    Does watching the F1 make you a faster driver?

Yes, Fact. Don't argue this.
    Does watching the football make you a better footballer?

Not in terms of technique but the angle is all wrong. Tactically, yes, both on the field and on Pro Evolution Soccer.

This is why the best footballers, boxers, drivers, et al watch tapes of opposition and themselves to improve. duh.... :P
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    All joking aside, it probably can. Given that a significant part of competing in any sport involves mental toughness, watching the pros might give you an insight into achieving that state of being 'in the zone' and give you an edge over someone else of equal physical ability.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Not really but on any long, steep, winding descent I am Cancellara :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Does watching the F1 make you a faster driver?
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Yes, Fact. Don't argue this.

+1. If I go for a drive on a Sunday just after the chequered flag has come down, I am AWESOME! Clipping kerbs, outbraking other drivers into the junctions, using the speed calming things as chicanes. I rock.

I'm even really fast at the petrol station now, even though I haven't practised that since last year.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lost_in_thought
    DonDaddyD wrote:

This is why the best footballers, boxers, drivers, et al watch tapes of opposition and themselves to improve. duh.... :P

:lol::lol::lol:

Ah you boys. You do make me laugh.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Two of my friends were so determined to get better at pro evolution soccer that they would play a 10min game, which was video recorded. Watch the recording and analyse it to acknowledge their mistakes and then play again... :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

• lost_in_thought
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Two of my friends were so determined to get better at pro evolution soccer that they would play a 10min game, which was video recorded. Watch the recording and analyse it to acknowledge their mistakes and then play again... :shock:

Yeah.... 'friends'.... riiiiiiiiiight. :P
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yeah.... 'friends'.... riiiiiiiiiight. :P

Rearrange into a well know phrase or saying ' Life get a' :roll:
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    I think it can inspire you to ride harder, it can mke you think abit more about your cornering and descending technique. For new racers it can give a better understanding of tactics all no good if you can't keep up with the bunch though!
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Our very own JonGinge posted this on the Twitter last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxXqQqAc2pA

A masterclass in descending!

Not sure watching it made me a better descender but it certainly shows what an exceptionally skilled cyclist can get a bike to do :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    One interesting thing about cancellara's form in that video (and probably all pros) is that while in the drops, his arms, head and shoulders are perfectly still when pedalling - it's like his legs and lower torso are part of a different body.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Zachariah wrote:
    One interesting thing about cancellara's form in that video (and probably all pros) is that while in the drops, his arms, head and shoulders are perfectly still when pedalling - it's like his legs and lower torso are part of a different body.

Agreed, I was watching Wiggins do his TT in the Giro on Saturday and he appeared to be snaking from the hips down whilst everything from there up remained still!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    yeah i was watching tour of flanders not long ago and i decided to go out and emulate the pro's and by god it's sooo good :)

i was riding with my brother and he couldnt keep up lol! i just didnt want to go slow at all.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Riding bikes makes me ride bikes faster.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965

Does watching the F1 make you a faster driver? Does watching the football make you a better footballer?

Not sure about that one.
    Certainly seems to make certain people drive faster.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015

That's clearly Donkey Kong Jr, not Mario :)

Nevertheless, I'm sure it'll inspire DDD to ride his bike faster.
  • lost_in_thought
    Aidy wrote:

That's clearly Donkey Kong Jr, not Mario :)

Nevertheless, I'm sure it'll inspire DDD to ride his bike faster.

I knew there'd be someone who'd spoil my fun... yeah, I know. I couldn't find one of someone using Mario, mostly 'cause he sucks. But you're right, there's a lot someone could learn from it... :P
  • DonDaddyD
    I hated Mario Kart wii, in fact I hate the wii because I can't move on from a joypad/stick.

In fact wireless is as far as I go....
    Food Chain number = 4

• Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I hated Mario Kart wii, in fact I hate the wii because I can't move on from a joypad/stick.

In fact wireless is as far as I go....

MKW is much better played with the nunchuk for steering IMHO, it's then almost like playing the N64 version with your controller sawed in half :-)

try Madworld if you want to have some fun with the controls, great way to release a bit of aggression :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I'm sad enough to admit to having an imaginary commentator playing in my ear on some of my commutes home. I tried that aero-mimicking position with your hands dangling off the front of the tops a few times after seeing guys doing it when chasing down breaks, but it's a bit scary gripping the bars basically by your wrists.
    Be wary

Watching F1 does make me a faster driver, it reminds me of my terrible habit of having too early an apex on most corners. Late apexes are usually where its at.