Flat vs drops

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    MrChuck wrote:
    Yeah, I don't really think much can be made of the 'increased aerodynamic efficiency' argument. While there is truth in it, I don't think it'll make that much difference for the average commuter.

It's basically comfort, and I really don't think there's a good argument for flats being more comfortable.

Again, for the average commuter there's probably not much in it. For 3 hours on a road bike drops can offer more comfort, for half an hour across town with traffic lights etc. I don't see it's an issue, especially with bar ends.

Perhaps, but what if the unthinkable happens and you actually want to go on a long ride one day? I mean, of course it's unlikely, I don't know anyone who uses the same bike for commuting and weekend riding. What a ridiculous notion...

I rode a flat bar bike t'other day. Damn my wrists hurt. And that was for 20 minutes.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    It's all about personal taste surely. Drop bars vary so much its possible to love some and hate others. You need to try them out.

If you get flat bars then bar ends are a god-send. I use the bar ends almost all the time unless I have to cover the breaks.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    MTbers use flat bars for days rides, no complaints.

I use mine on the road for dozens of miles - again, no probs.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    MrChuck wrote:
    Yeah, I don't really think much can be made of the 'increased aerodynamic efficiency' argument. While there is truth in it, I don't think it'll make that much difference for the average commuter.

It's basically comfort, and I really don't think there's a good argument for flats being more comfortable.

Again, for the average commuter there's probably not much in it. For 3 hours on a road bike drops can offer more comfort, for half an hour across town with traffic lights etc. I don't see it's an issue, especially with bar ends.

Perhaps, but what if the unthinkable happens and you actually want to go on a long ride one day? I mean, of course it's unlikely, I don't know anyone who uses the same bike for commuting and weekend riding. What a ridiculous notion...

I rode a flat bar bike t'other day. Damn my wrists hurt. And that was for 20 minutes.

See my earlier post:
    If you then wanted to extend your riding to 'proper' road riding then yes, it might become an issue, but IMO the benefits of flat bars and V brakes far outweighs the disadvantages for short-ish urban rides.

Might not be possible for you but for me the ideal compromise is a flat-bar road bike/hybrid for commuting etc and a proper road bike for proper road riding.

The kneejerk reaction on here is that flat bars on the road == rubbish, end of- drop bars are always better. The only point I'm trying to make is that that's tosh. I have 2 drop-barred bikes BTW and completely agree that it's the way forward on longer rides. But flat bars have their place for sure and I just don't get the dogmatic view that they're only for noobs who'll soon know better.

I realise that not everyone wants or can have > 1 bike so sure, if you think you'll be doing more than riding around town then drops make a ton of sense. If you won't, or you have another bike for that, then what's wrong with flats? Aside from those precious seconds saved of course...
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Boris uses flat bars, clearly a man with sense.

bojo_bikes.jpg
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629

When I get my butt in gear and go for a sportive it will be on the cannon... I've done 50 + miles a few times on that thing and its fine. Each to their own I think :)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129

Maybe that says more about your set-up than flat bars per se.

In any event - each to their own.
  • lost_in_thought
    FrankM wrote:

Maybe that says more about your set-up than flat bars per se.

In any event - each to their own.

Well, yes it definitely was a problem with the setup. Some joker had put flat bars on the bike.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    vorsprung wrote:
    Bear in mind that one of the "advantages" of flat bars is that they are a wider.

I concur, went out on my new dropped barred bike today, feels very narrow. Good for going in a straight line, but I think I'll stick to flats for dodging traffic in London.
  • MonkeyMonster
    Well, yes it definitely was a problem with the setup. Some joker had put flat bars on the bike.

:lol:

Are you still talking to me after that seemingly horrendous fb joke? :D
  • lost_in_thought

Are you still talking to me after that seemingly horrendous fb joke? :D

No.

Damn!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    The bottom line here, particularly where the daily commute is concerned, has to be that it comes down to personal preference. There seems to be an element of 'my bar's better than yours so ner, ner, ner' going on, which is kind of funny. The only thing that is worth pointing out to newbies (having recently made a mistake in my choice of bike, I include myself here) is that the distinctions of, flat for upright position and optimum control among traffic, drop for speed, is somewhat bobbins.

For me it simply comes down to personal comfort: I'v ediscovered that flats put stress on my shoulders, my neck and my wrists in a way that drops do not.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Or you could have a flat bar bike with drop bar ends...

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Orig ... -18606.htm

I would consider them but i have twist shift on my hybrid and not sure how it would be for gear changing.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I figure I could join the masses of people riding about on the hoods, or I could just get bars that suit the way most people actually ride, and give you access to the brakes while you do it. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone but a proper lycra-clad roadie actually use their drops. I certainly never did.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Got these on my bars - very comfy, just the job for when I want to shift about :)
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Northwind wrote:
    I figure I could join the masses of people riding about on the hoods, or I could just get bars that suit the way most people actually ride, and give you access to the brakes while you do it. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone but a proper lycra-clad roadie actually use their drops. I certainly never did.

It may seem unnatural but in practice it works really well. However if you are happy and comfortable riding flat bars then that's cool. Speaking as someone with a foot in both camps (2xflat bar, 1xdrop bar). I never found comfort an issue with flat bars I just fancied something different.

My personal advice. Try both if you can and see how you get on. Pick whatever works best for you and don't let the dogma of other people influence you. ;)

Mike
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I already did, as I say...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Northwind wrote:
    I already did, as I say...

Fair enough. Just wanted to make sure you didn't feel alone amongst the hordes of drop bar advocates. :)

Mike
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    enough already, lets agree to disagree, some like drops, some like flats everyone's own experience is valid,

its not like we''re talking about 11 tooth cogs where any one who thinks....... (see Road Beginners for further details)
  • supersonic
    I've seen some cassette hubs with 9 teeth. That'll get the roadies furious.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    @ the OP: look what you've started now - a full scale handbag fight between drop bar roadie loving snobs and flat bar MTB/hybrid riding peasants :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Is going downhill on flat bars not scary? I can tolerate a gentle hill on the hoods, but anything likely to get me over 45kph and I'm definitely in the drops, partly because it's worth a few free kph, but mainly just because I can control the bike better at those speeds from there.

Referencing earlier, I actually use that position 2 (where the bars curve) a good deal when I'm in a more cruise-y mood, for a slightly more relaxed position. It's probably more a mental don't-bother-pushing-too-hard reminder to myself.
  • supersonic
    I would say a wider bar offers a bit more stability at speed if anything.
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    I mainly ride on the drops, but have to go on to the flat to use the brake.... I dont mind either flat bars or drops, but if I have to choose it is the drop bars. I am broad across the shoulders so I either need WIDE flat bars (wider than my shouders) or a 44cm drop bar to be comfortable. Plus I can really wrench on the drops for steep climbs.

(I run a fixed/fixed setup, one side is 87.9 the other 101.5 GI Stupidly big gears but I do like to go fast)
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • Look! A picture!
    dropbarpositions.jpg

Personally I can't get on with drops. I actually got numb hands from them within 5 minutes - though that was probably a poor set up :oops:

I did find the drop bars easier on hills though I had to go into the drops downhill because braking from the hoods is less efficinet - no matter what so many of you claim.

Anyway - on the hand positions bit - isn't no.1 redundant as soon as you add lights or a computer to your bars. Borrowed my mate's tourer and all of the flat bar space on the drops were used up!
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    Anyway - on the hand positions bit - isn't no.1 redundant as soon as you add lights or a computer to your bars. Borrowed my mate's tourer and all of the flat bar space on the drops were used up!
    You put the gear in the middle. There should be plenty of space on the sides, unless you really go wild. I've got clip-on bars on my bike and I can still use that hand position.
  • MonkeyMonster
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Is going downhill on flat bars not scary?

Heh heh, you have seen the speeds some mtbers fling themselves down steep hills with wide wide wide flat bars...
    Its almost like you haven't ridden a flat bar bike much and are making wild assumptions...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Personally I can't get on with drops. I actually got numb hands from them within 5 minutes - though that was probably a poor set up :oops:

If your hands went numb probably the reach was too long.

As for position number 1 - nope, lights and computer aren't a problem - you can fit lights either side of the stem and the computer on the stem itself.

I don't find wide bars a problem on descents - have had my MTB up to over 40 mph downhill and it was fine. Not as fast as a drop bar bike though.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    If your hands go numb or your wrists hurt on flat bars, the angle of the brake and gear levers might be wrong.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Is going downhill on flat bars not scary?

Its not much of problem really seeing as they never pick up much speed

i just leave this here for reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tFpNsZXWgc