Lee quarry

Comments

• Jon, how do you get from Lee Quarry to Cragg Quarry? Where abouts do you leave Lee?
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I left up on the high terrace at the far corner before you get onto the red / black run descent. Up on the terrace there is usually a stream running across the trail. Just before that there's a sort of rocky track leading off to the left which quickly becomes singletrack. At first it seems to be going in the wrong direction but then turns back on itself past a burnt out yellow landrover (proper urban biking around here :lol: ). Follow the sheep trail, it soon drops a little with a wall on your right. After this it was very boggy, keep high and most of it is rideable. Then just follow the wall / paths until you pop out on Rooley Moor Road. Go up RMR and go through the first gate on the right. Follow this up to the top, through the gate, turn right and the trail is just in front of you. Coming back stay high on the pack horse and take the left hand turning onto RMR, noce little rocky, loose descent.

I actually quite enjoyed riding across, very natural but techy XC singletrack. I imagine it could be a tad boggy when wet though. This might help.

4612535824_3d9df0d3f4_o.jpg
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • reyrol
    reyrol Posts: 38
    Jon, how do you get from Lee Quarry to Cragg Quarry? Where abouts do you leave Lee?
    Mind how you go otherwise you might end up at 'The local shop for local people' after all it is Bacup
  • reyrol
    reyrol Posts: 38
    On a more serious note if you compare 'Stumpyjons' map alongside google earth you can see the line of the route you need to take
  • Cheers Jon, any chance you could email me a gpx or mmo of that route.

Thanks
  • stumpyjon
    No probs, I'll email you a .gpx tonight.

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Hi all...thinking of taking a trip there with a mate this weekend..we have both just bought Giant XTC's a 1 and a Carbon Alliance..looking at the reviews on the net Lee seems more akin to full suss or a burly HT rather than the XC racers ? plus we are both running Small Block 8's (though I have a pair of nevegals I could stick on..) and I am sure 8's would not handel slate etc..I also do not want to damage my carbon frame....I could take my Mount Vision but my mate only has a HT so he may get pi$$y...

Would the HT's be capable ??

Cheers
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • I'm taking my Marin Rocky Ridge up there tonight. I've been before on it (before the new stuff) and it was fun, most of the new stuff is a lot smoother than the earlier parts though.

Was up there last week on my Orange 5 too, so I'll report back later!
  • stumpyjon
    I would have thought a hardtail would be fine, loads of people up there on them. It's not actually slatey, it's all gritstone so very grippy. The biggest issues with traction is the loose stuff on the surface with it being so dry.

• Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    check out some of the trails on youtube
    i ride a hardtail
  • stumpyjon
    ...and pinch punctures!

Oh yeah, forgot about them :lol:

• Good lee quarry video :)

http://vimeo.com/11706087

I do reckon that this place would probably be a bit more fun on a FS!

did I just say that? i'm I'll.
  • stumpyjon
    Tis more fun on a FS, even Cragg which is pretty smooth is fun with a FS.

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Cheers guys..going to give it a go on saturday...will pack the Marin as it's a long drive for me to arrive and not enjoy it...if all goes well might take the HT at some point...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Well, went up this evening on the hardtail and loved it. Like I say I went up last week too but on my FS, in fact, that's me crashing near the end of the video above! As it's so dry and fast at the moment, I actually enjoyed it more on the HT, only 1 pinch flat!
  • Here's a vid from last night of me following my mate through some of the best bits. He's at the front on his Orange 5 and I'm behind on my Marin Rocky Ridge. I never felt like I needed to be on my 5 to be able to keep up.

Lee Quarry
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Definitely need to get up there at some point. I stay in Bury at weekends, so it's only up the road!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • lawson_m20
    lawson_m20 Posts: 97
    I'm going there this afternoon - can't wait. IT's going to be hot though!!! :shock:
  • stumpyjon
    Aye but if there's any breeze you'll feel it there. I've got to ride home from Clitheroe to Bacup tonight in the heat, 17 miles of tarmac bashing, think I'll be taking it easy. Seemed like such a good idea this morning with the sun out and the temperature nice and coll.

• lawson_m20
    I've never been so have the usual feeling of intrepidation/excitement before my first ride anywhere..... hoping to be able to squeeze in a few after work evening rides up there once I've sussed out the journey, etc.....
  • stumpyjon
    What was it like?

• Great trail...to give you an idea here's a little vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsGaki9hYjE
  • lawson_m20
    Really enjoyed myself yesterday. What a great place! Great conditions (a welcome breeze) A nice steady climb leading to a compact area containing some great singletrack. Even had the pump track to myself for 20 mins too :D

First time off road for a few months and is the ideal spot to pick up confidence again - loved being able to session some of the tracks at the top.

Came back and told my other half how much fun it was and that we will be going soon...... she wanted to know what the cafe was like :oops:
  • stumpyjon
    The Red Chilli just down the road is an OK chinese and Marios is a fair Italian restaurant. Just stay out of the local pubs.

• aguesty1
    aguesty1 Posts: 97
    Sometimes if your really lucky there is a snack van parked at the bottom, only ever seen this on a Saturday or Sunday morning.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    aguesty1 wrote:
    Sometimes if your really lucky there is a snack van parked at the bottom, only ever seen this on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

Was speaking to the women in the snack van and she has only been going there a couple of months,she was suprised that all the mountain bikers wanted burgers and bacon butties,not the salads and pasta she had first thought. :lol:
  • stumpyjon
    She's obviously learning fast :wink:

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    piker wrote:
    aguesty1 wrote:

Was speaking to the women in the snack van and she has only been going there a couple of months,she was suprised that all the mountain bikers wanted burgers and bacon butties,not the salads and pasta she had first thought. :lol:

What does she think we are roadies!? salad and pasta is poisonous if mixed with knobbly tyre riding
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Stumpyjon any chance of a gpx of the route linking cragg and lee quarry,fancy trying cragg next time as well.