Lee quarry

jamazin
jamazin Posts: 371
edited August 2010 in Routes
Has anone ever been? I was thinking of taking a train trip up there and spending the day there? Do you think you could get a days riding out of it and what is the general rating out of 10. thanks a lot everyone :)
Mabie forest. Maybe one of the greatest places to ride.

Comments

• John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    It's great for 2 or 3 laps and a bit of playing around, a full day may be a bit too much unless you like climbing.

Try linking it up to local cross country routes or even the Mary Townley Loop
  • aguesty1
    aguesty1 Posts: 97
    Lee is my local only 10 min away, it's great espcially now the new trails are finished. Maybe too short to spend the full day at Lee but there are some more trails maybe half hour ride away at Cragg quarry over the moor, that they intend to link to Lee quarry. I say give it a go, nothing to lose just make sure ya get an open return train ticket!
  • aguesty1
    Oh and I'll give it an 8, 2 points lost for length of trail if it was longer it would be a 10
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,875
    if its a nice day, you could spend a day there playing. Hard to keep going round the same cicuit if its cold & raining
  • bobinho
    bobinho Posts: 28
    I'm with aguesty1,come up and give it a go.
    The new trails at Lee are really good,as is the skills area,lots of berms and a drop line to session if you want. The new trails up at Cragg quarry are excellent too. Well worth linking the two up
  • jamazin
    jamazin Posts: 371
    Thanks guys. Oh and by the way, how long does the circuit take?
    Mabie forest. Maybe one of the greatest places to ride.
  • reyrol
    reyrol Posts: 38
    Hi
    If you started the original red route as shown on the board at the start of the aproach hill
    & part way round slotted in the new bits, perhaps about 1hr ,there are plenty of variations to keep you happy. You have an eight mile ride from rochdale mostly climbing all the way before you get there.
    I was up there today stopping to get my breath back at the top of the steep climb on the red route{the one always edited out of the vids on utube } when this guy flew up the hill & carried on without pausing on a single speed bike:Awsome
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Nearest station is Todmorden, bit of a big hill in the way but it's tarmac. Factoring the ride in and Cragg Quarry there's easily enough to keep you entertained for a day.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I may have to go have a play up lee quarry at some point.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    lee quarry has some good riding what it lacks in length it makes up for with some quailty flowing singletrack and a few technical bits.. then you can hit crag quarry it's only over the moor..
    check out youtube and vimeo for vids...
    i can get lost for a good few hours was there for about 4 hours last night. sessioning parts of it..
    click link in sig for some vids of lee quarry and crag quarry...
  • Ro88o
    Ro88o Posts: 130
    I was up there today too, 1st time. That climb from the carpark to the start of the red route - O.M.G.
    Just when i thought i was getting fit again, had to stop on the way up to put my lungs back in - jeez !

Overall though i was really impressed by the layout (apart from the killer start :oops: ) lots of different trails with sweeping berms, drops, jumps etc...

I was up there approx 2 1/2 hrs and took in 2 laps of the red and about 4 runs on the red berm runs down to the skills area - loved every minute.

I would give it a 9, lots of variation and an absolute credit to the trail builders - fantastic job guys.
    You only get one shot .........so make it a double !
    Santa Cruz Heckler 650b
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/r0880/1177 ... 4113728080
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    this place is relatively near me, but does anyone have a postcode or a google map so i know how to get there? I see its near a place called Bacup, but thats about as accurate as I can get. Cheers!
    i ride a hardtail
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Lee Quarry scares me :oops: ...gonna go ride it soon though :D
    Caz xx
  • Ro88o
    OL13 OBB is the postcode, turn into future parks industrial estate for start of the big climb.

http://adrenaline-gateway.co.uk/LeeQuarry.aspx for a map and info.

Its not that scary caz, although i did try to take it easy cos i was on my lonesome. :lol:
    Santa Cruz Heckler 650b
  • stumpyjon
    Will

Futures Park
    Bacup OL13 0BB
    That climb from the carpark to the start of the red route - O.M.G.

Better not go up to Cragg quarry via the MTL then, it makes the climb up to Lee Quarry look flat :lol:

• Ro88o
    Thanks for the warning, i`ll take oxygen :lol:

gotta be a great dnhill on the way back though !
    Santa Cruz Heckler 650b
  • Will Snow
    Ro88o
    stumpyjon

Much obliged. May see you there one day!
    i ride a hardtail
  • stumpyjon
    Ro88o wrote:
    gotta be a great dnhill on the way back though !

it is, nice rocky section in the middle, loads of loose fist sized rocks, nice switchback halway down. I busted a spoke right at the top last time I came down and had to mince it all the way (although it was pointed out that's how I normally ride it).

• Ro88o
    Loved the dnhill part on the red route at Lee, then over the cattle grid over the jumps / table tops and back to the car park.
    Have to go back and session that bit some time.

I managed to film some of it before the battery packed on my veho muvi.

good excuse to go back...
    Santa Cruz Heckler 650b
  • Will Snow
    my friend isnt sure what bike to take, his has a 100mm hardtail or a 8" stinky, we both love the downs alot more than the up. Whadda reckon?
    i ride a hardtail
  • Having ridden there a fair bit, I've been on my Orange 5 FS and my Marin Rocky Ridge HT with 140mm forks.
    It's fun on either bike, but the HT does get a bit tiresome and punishing on the older rocky black sections, the new berms and jumps are great on the HT.

8" will be way over the top though!
  • aguesty1
    I take my Commencal Meta 5 but my Mrs and mate ride hardtails and enjoy it equally as much. The stinky would be fine on the black middle section (big rocks) down to the small lakes (not really signposted if I remember right). Only issue with the stinky may be the climb from the car park but other than that It'll be fine. Get up there and try the stinky, you won't be dissapointed. Suppose it depends on how fit a rider you are.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Always wanted a go at lee quarry after watching the youtube vids but always thought it looked very technical.I think i will give it a go this weekend is it really that hard.
  • bobinho
    No,the red route isn't too difficult,just a couple of bits to make you think
    first couple of laps! I got off for the rocky downhill section first couple of times i went,but
    really enjoyable. Black route is technical and unforgiving so i'd leave it alone
    til your confident on the red. The skills area is well worth spending
    some time on too.
  • piker
    Didnt know there was a skills area,how long is the red route.
  • bobinho
    I'm not sure how long it is,but it's a good 20/25 min for a lap if you just do the red route,
    skills area is roughly halfway round. Got berm runs,drop offs and the like to
    session
  • piker
    Went today to lee quarry and was very impressed,red route was pretty technical in places and stretched my skills.Makes the black runs at degla seem easy.
    Got a bit confused at what i think is the skills area (bit with the see-saw) but was pointed in the right direction by another rider,after sessioning the red berm runs from the top,brilliant.Cant wait to go back.
    After 3 tube changes i think a tyre change/tubeless set up needs research but i suppose thats what you get riding on rocks with oem cross country tyres.
    I seem to have missed some parts out as well,when riding round after the skills bit i could see a pump track at the bottom of the quarry but couldnt find a way down.
    Think i will be back very soon.
  • stumpyjon
    I was up there yesterday too, managed to find the route across to Cragg quarry so I did a lap of each. It wasn't you I spoke to coming down the final descent on the red route was it, somebody was fixing a puncture :lol: .

If you think the red's difficult, try the black. I thought I'd give it another go yesterday after whizzing around the reds in both quarries. Still ended up walking most of the descent. Now that's a proper black. The black stuff at Llandegla is no more difficult than the blue at Gisburn.

• piker
    I was stopped at the top of the last set of jumps,tightening my nephews cassette with the screwdriver on my multitool :lol:
    If it was you stumpyjon thanks for asking was we alright.
  • stumpyjon
    I think indeed that was me, small world. Mind you someone up in Cragg Quarry recognised from one of the other forums :shock: