Giburn forest

jamazin
jamazin Posts: 371
edited May 2010 in Routes
Anyone been there? Rating out of 10 for trail, singletrack and all mountain? Also, do you think it is worth a tripup fom manchester on the train? Thanks a lot
Mabie forest. Maybe one of the greatest places to ride.

Comments

• sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    it's a hell of a ride fom any train station hun..you'd be knackered by the time you got there, but it IS worth riding :D
    Caz xx
  • sparrowlegs78
    But I have had a thought, there are buses that go out that way with bike racks on...the bowland ranger I think it's called....dunno how often they are though from Clitheroe train station which is probs the nearest train station.
    Caz xx
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    3 out of 10.
    The good bits are good but there are far too many crap bits.

Go to North Wales to see how it's done.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It's pretty good at the moment, dried out nicely. Very different to Lee Quarry. Most people seem pretty impressed (not with standing ibbo68's score) judging by the number of people who stopped today to thank us for our efforts. There's still more fireroad than we'd like but it's slowly being bypassed. Good XC loop with some really fun bits IMHO. If you're more into sessioning stuff Lee Quarry and Cragg Quarry may float your boat more.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • sniper68
    Don't take my score personally.I appreciate all the hard work that's gone into it.It still gets 2 points more than Dalby and that's had ££1000s spent on it :wink:
    I will be back at some point to try it when it's(hopefully) dried out.There's a Lime green Rageley MMbop frame in the bike shop with my name on it 8)

There's a similar thing going on in Wharnecliffe Woods near me,but they have very little money and although I'm 10 mins away I rarely go in because the XC bits are a bog 90% and i'm not really into sessioning the DHs,as good as they are.
  • tubaonwheels
    tubaonwheels Posts: 448
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Don't take my score personally.I appreciate all the hard work that's gone into it.It still gets 2 points more than Dalby and that's had ££1000s spent on it :wink:
    I think I'll dis-regard all Ibbos scores then :wink:

I think Gisburn (and Dalby) is well worth the trip.
    Ok, I've just been to Glentress and Innerleithen for the first time and they do blow em out of the water, but thats got a lot to do with the geological location, and they are a bit of a trek from Manchester :?
    I suppose we all are looking for different things from a trail centre, and I'm the first to admit that my experience is rather limited being a relative novice.
  • stumpyjon
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Don't take my score personally.I appreciate all the hard work that's gone into it.

No worries, it was a mess in places over the winter. Lot better now it's dried out, we'll be fine as long as it doesn't rain again, ever :cry:

• sniper68
    I suppose we all are looking for different things from a trail centre, and I'm the first to admit that my experience is rather limited being a relative novice.

The main criteria for a trail centre is flow and all year round riding-ability.
    Unfortunately for Gisburn the flow is halted due to the trail not being all weather.This could quite easily be remedied but will cost money.Geology is a bugger at times.
  • stumpyjon
    Some of it's been repaired already, the Gully in particular should reopen in a week or so fully resurfaced. The berm that totally collapsed towards the end of the top loop has also been rebuilt I think.

• sparrowlegs78
    Stumpy,
    Is it less wet up the climb from the Quarry?..that bit was a bugger for the damp..it's the only thing that I didn't like, otherwise Gisburn fets 2 thumbs up from me....it's smashing :D
    Caz xxx
  • stumpyjon
    caz

It's all pretty much bone dry. Ironically we need some rain to let the latest bit of trail we've laid bed in properly.

• tezzer22
    tezzer22 Posts: 14
    hi i rode all the trail on Saturday and it was great . the slimy bits have all dried up and now its rocky and technical , rode home baked 4 times, love it
  • santacrews
    santacrews Posts: 51
    I,m fancying Gisburn this Sunday !

Not sure whether to go to Dalby or there, I,ve done Wharncliffe to death over the Past 10 Years, when i go up now there never seems to be many there,

Where is every one going ?

And how pedally is Gisburn, Is there enough there to say complete a 10 mile loop,

Been looking on you tube and there appears to be some nice jumps out of a berm,
    And some nice drops between trees down a descent on a cleared hill !

Any advice !
  • mystery h
    mystery h Posts: 154
    fancy doing gisburn myself on friday :D

will post when i get back, hope the weather holds out 8)
  • stumpyjon
    The red XC loop is over 10 miles, most of it is singletrack. The DH stuff is seperate but only just off the XC loop. When you get to the quarry carry straight on rather than turning right into the quarry, you can't miss the DH stuff. There's more fun stuff up at the top near whelpstone crag as well. The gully may even have reopenned by the weekend.

• yay :)

def going to Gisburn this weekend... having tea at my sisters in longridge so I thought I might as well :lol:
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    Haven't been to Gisburn in about 10 years :D I take it will have changed. Last time I was there my dad and I were doing some night riding. Was very very fun.

Just a shame I have no car as I'd go there more.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    jamazin
    The nearest station is surely Long Preston, but that is on the Leeds-Carlisle line :/
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    From Long Preston Station to the trails is about 6 or 7 miles but it is a nice ride.

A really nice day out would be ride from Long Preston to Gisburn do the red loop then ride down to Clitheroe Station via Slaidburn and Waddington. Would be a fantatstic all dayer.

Hmm I was planning a trip to Wales this weekend taking the bike on the choo choo think I might be going the other way.

ps Stumpy does the butty van still pull up at Cocklet car park. Would be a disaster if I pedalled all that way without a bacon butty to fuel me up.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stumpyjon
    Yeah, it's been there whenever I've been up there recently. Don't forget the Dog & Partridge in Tosside. Superb food there too, the home made chips are fantastic as are the enormous pieces of flapjack.

• Just FYI... I asked the guy at the SW van about how busy it gets and he says its always twice as busy on a sunday!
  • santacrews
    santacrews Posts: 51
    Well, i,d just like to report back on my Loop round Gisburn !

:shock:
    8)

All i can say is if you havent yet then you should really make time to tick this one off !
    Some serious trail work has gone into this area and it looks set to continue for some time yet !
    I cant really remember the specifics but lots of sections do stand out, some sections are pretty techy for red and before ruining it GO RIDE !

Sure it wont be to every ones liking but its varied, and is a good mix up between smooth trail, rough Natural and Man made purpose built...............

Thanks for all the hard work Guys !
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Was gisburn all open santacrews or are parts still shut.
  • stumpyjon
    santacrews - I thank you 8)

piker - yep tis all open and very dry, ideal time to ride. Another small but action packed new bit should open in June.

• sparrowlegs78
    I hope to ride all of Home Baked ( not the rock steps though) this weekend without wimping out and getting off :lol:
    Caz xx
  • they have names? :shock:
  • stumpyjon
    Go on ride the rock steps. I nearly bottled it on my hardtail last time I went up (always ridden them on my full suss up to now). Was still deciding whether to ride them or not when I realised my front wheel was over the second step :shock: . Probably the fastest, smoothest descent I've every made 8) . It's all about controlling the FEAR.

• is home baked the 1st/2nd through the woods?

I love those 2 bits of trail... could ride them all day!
  • sparrowlegs78
    Home baked is the first bit of singletrack after the causeway singletrack bits.....I think, Stumpy will correct me if I'm wrong
    Caz xx
  • The causeway? :lol:

I just ride :P dont take any notice or where i am! :lol: