"Just" a MTBer?

RealMan
RealMan Posts: 2,166
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Are you just a MTBer? Or do you do indulge in other forms of cycling? If so, is MTBing your #1?

Its my #1 most of the time, but I still love road, bmx, and unicycling.

But I can have fun going up and down my road on a bmx or a unicycle. Can't really do that on the MTB.

Doing other types of cycling really does help. BMX has made me quicker on the MTB. MTB has made me quicker on the road. And unicycling makes me appreciate having two wheels the rest of the time.. :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I ride bikes.

i am not an 'ist.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RealMan
    nicklouse wrote:
    i am not an 'ist.

What?
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    edited May 2010
    I ride MTB 99% of the time - DH,FR,XC,AM and some street. But occasionly go on a road ride on the XC bike.
  • MTB is number 1 favourite - in pretty much any weather day or night

Road biking second place but tend to prefer dry days

Commuting just keeps my fitness up and saves fuel. I dont bother if it is blowing a gale.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • i like bikes.... road bikes are a bit ghey to me though.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    As long as it's got two wheels, cranks and i can ride it without catching my knees on the bars then i'm a happy boy.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i like bikes, they are ok.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I commute by pedal a few days a week though really just for the fitness benefits, I don't get much joy out of it. And the rest of the time I travel by mechanical velocipede, which has the right number of wheels and also the right number of horsepower :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    i only have one bike, so i suppose i am just a mtber but i also 'commute' to school on my mtb sometimes, about 3 miles each way
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Currently training for my first triathlon,so getting the miles in on the road bike at the moment.

In fact ,I`ve only managed one proper ride on the mtb in the last month apart from riding it round the street,when out with my 7 year old son.

I`d like one of every type of bike if funds allowed....
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Currently I only MTB, but I like all sorts of bikes. Except recumbents.
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    I ride bikes. For me it's all about just being out on a bike no matter what type. I follow/watch/read/comment about all types of disaplins, not just mtb :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MTB only!
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Mountain biking and the commute to work. Would never go and buy a road bike though when can buy a mountain bike which can easily go on road.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    MTB most of the time, Road when its horrible and wet and muddy, and for going to school.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Mountain biking and the commute to work. Would never go and buy a road bike though when can buy a mountain bike which can easily go on road.

Granted, but like your tyre question, they are designed for a specific use. A mtb will never be as good on the road as a road bike will be - depends on your end goal I suppose.
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    Road bike for fitness,mtb for fun
  • bendylegs69
    bendylegs69 Posts: 64
    MTB, When ive got the time to get out :oops:
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    hoochylala wrote:

Granted, but like your tyre question, they are designed for a specific use. A mtb will never be as good on the road as a road bike will be - depends on your end goal I suppose.

Agreed, I don't intend doing great distance on road so would be pointless getting a road bike. Easier to ahve a MTB adn use it on road than to have a road bike and destroy it off road.
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    I ride a bike. Does it really matter what flavour it is?

Do people really think it's 'rad' and 'gnarly' to MTB?

Superstoked. Dude.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I only ride MTB, road has no appeal to me whatsoever. I do ride street/park though when time allows on my rigid, i suppose it's more of a big bmx than a mtb.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    I have a road bike, 2x mtbs a cx bike and a 'pub bike', I am hoping to get a more awesome racey road bike. I started mtb only but now I live in London I ride almost exclusively on road until I pop back to Bristol to see family and get out on the mtbs. Road bike is for racing, fitness and fun, the speeds I can achieve on it put a huge grin on my face as do car drivers expressions when I overtake them doing over 30mph on flats and descents. MTB is for fun only and I do xc and trail centres just wish there was some easily accessible decent riding that did not require driving to get to it in London. Cx is for commuting and occassional off roading in epping forest which is boring on an mtb. People who think road bikes are ghey should atleast try riding one and I dont mean just a flat 2-3 miles go on a club ride.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    All road bikers who wear bright multi coloured lycra are gay. :twisted:
    Don't think, BE:
  • tubaonwheels
    tubaonwheels Posts: 448
    wobbem wrote:
    All road bikers who wear bright multi coloured lycra are gay. :twisted:
    Give us a kiss sweetheart xxx
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,767
    Not particularly 'tribal' myself. Currently have 1 MTB and a commuter hack: looking at getting 'roadie' * as well for weekend stuff and to share commuting duties. MTB'ing is more fun but I get to do more road cycling because of the regular commute - and agree, it really helps with the fitness etc when out on the MTB :)

* but it will be a cold day in hell before I wear lycra...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    nicklouse wrote:
    I ride bikes.

i am not an 'ist.

Dunno, I'm pretty sure that would make you a "cyclist".
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i ride in the woods! :D

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    I own 1 bike, it's a mountain bike.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Any cycling is great... just got back from a duathlon this morning so that adds TTI(ish) to 'road' and mtb... although mostly I'd define it as 'just riding around'.

At the moment I'm debating whether 34 is too old to get a BMX... I fear it probably is.
  • RealMan
    BMX park or track?

Track, you're never too old.

Park, depends on how much you bounce still I guess.