OT: speed camera rant

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
last thursday, whilst sat at home in sheffield, with my car in the drive, i apparently set off a speed camera in Tamworth?!?!

now, i guess a slight imperfection in the picture could lead to an accidental misreading of the reg - and I'm not concerned that I'll have to pay.

but....the procedure now seems to be that they will not provide me with pictures, but i have to send them pictures of my car for them to compare.

philosophically, this just feels wrong to me. they are asserting a crime, so surely should provide evidence to prove it was me. Me sending photos is like proving my own innocence.

it's not that i can't do it, it just feels ......wrong. the irritation at what is their mistake is now being compounded by the way the system works.

thoughts?

Comments

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Your reg plate may have been cloned and put on the same make & model of car. If so, I'm not sure what sending pictures of your car are going to demonstrate.

Personally, I'd pop round to your local solicitor and ask them to prepare an affidavit for you to swear stating where you and your car was at the time of the photo. Send that with the photo, and tell the enforcement body (politely) that the matter is closed.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I can't believe I am posting this link on a cycling forum and not Scoobynet where I moderate!!

http://www.pepipoo.com/

Go to that - it is the best online source for help you can get. Eveything you need to know about how to deal with the NIP is there.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    If they get any more shots of me, it'll be like "This is Your Life..."
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I'm pretty sure that they HAVE to provide you with photographic evidence if you request it. And if they don't - you are off the hook. I think it may be even written on the ticket they sent you.

(It's highly unlikely that your plates were cloned and put on the same make and colour car). More likely that one digit on the plate is off and thus the mix-up.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I can't believe I am posting this link on a cycling forum and not Scoobynet where I moderate!!

http://www.pepipoo.com/

Go to that - it is the best online source for help you can get. Eveything you need to know about how to deal with the NIP is there.

Ahem - my name is Ewan and I am a scoobynet member.

There, I said it. Do you think anyone will ever talk to us again?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Nope. :D

Now ask me if I care :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • PBo
    judging by the critical mass thread, is scoobynet a site for physics geeks?

......if so, where do i sign?
  • Kieran_Burns
    The truth is: I only come on to this site to be strange... I have to maintain a modicum of respectability over there...

Naturally, I usually fail.

Miserably. :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Scoobynet, or "scabbynet" as us visitors from the Forester forums call it......

Sounds like we have a lot in common Kieran as I'm also a pepipooer....(The Rookie on S'net and PPP but it was taken here!)

At the OP.
    You have to prove nothing, but they would be within their rights to summonse you for ailing to ID the driver then you end up scrapping it out in court!

They are under no legal obligation to send you photo's at all unless it gets to court.

I would write a polite letter telling them where you car was and that no-one was driving at the time of the alleged offence. Unfourtunatly its a common 'try-on' and the usual responce is to ask you for photo's, when they compare them to theirs, in 90% of cases its a reg plate misread (and obvious, so why not check?) in probably less than 5% of cases is it a clone.

If its a clone you have a vested interset in finding out fast, so while it may go against the grain, send them some digi photo's and put the onus on them.

Should it ever get to court, they have to PROVE its your car, not vise-versa

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Pretty unrelated, but I contested a bus lane fine a while ago on the basis that it was inadequately signed, and that it was improperly provisioned to give you sufficient time to exit it.

They've (two and a half months later) written back to inform me that my challenge has been unsuccessful and included photographic "evidence" that the bus lane was adequately signed.

Said evidence consists of: 2 pictures of a completely different bus lane, 1 picture of a bus stop that's at least 2 miles away, and a picture of a block of flats.
  • The Rookie
    Aidy go to pepipoo, they have a parking and decrim forum as well!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Canny Jock
    Scoobynet, or "scabbynet" as us visitors from the Forester forums call it......

Sounds like we have a lot in common Kieran as I'm also a pepipooer....(The Rookie on S'net and PPP but it was taken here!)

Simon

OT - hello Simon, weird, I bought some springs from you a while ago on Scoobynet - and if I remember correctly you are also quite handy with suspension advice? Anyway, thanks again :-)

We should stop this now before we get laughed off the forum by normal cycling folk.

Ewan
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Do you all have pretty gold alloys on your 'scoobies'? Do you? And do the loud exhausts make everyone think you're cool? OMG dump valves totally rock! Have you all watched the fast and the furious one too many times?

:P
  • Kieran_Burns
    Do you all have pretty gold alloys on your 'scoobies'? Do you? And do the loud exhausts make everyone think you're cool? OMG dump valves totally rock! Have you all watched the fast and the furious one too many times?

I own an Audi. Does that help?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Canny Jock

I knew this would happen :oops:

I mainly have one to scare people at bus stops with the ridiculous noise, set off car alarms as I drive past and set fire to other cars with the flames that come out of the exhaust. Happy now!

Actually I have quite a dull one with silver wheels, it's a wagon so I can get the kids bikes in the back, and it has a normal exhaust. So I neither fit in here or on scoobynet. :?
  • catflea
    catflea Posts: 21
    Scoobynet?

Nah, you want the Morris Minor Owners Club Forum. Now that place is a giggle!

Much better than the miserable marina lot :twisted:
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506

As in... once?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863

I own an Audi. Does that help?

No. Audis are for people who want to look affluent but don't appreciate decent handling. My dad has one.. he's 82.

I used to have a Scooby- one of the last of the official Legacy Turbos.. Great car...

Cheers,
    W.
  • I once got hit with a parking fine for a hire car that alleged I'd over-stayed in a car park in Surrey. I wrote to them and told them I was visiting someone in jail in Leeds at the time. Never heard back from them.

Am I allowed to mention how much I miss the Soobie Outback I had in Oz? Great car for filling with bikes, dogs and camping gear and going and doing things that are far more fun than driving. Way too thirsty for UK petrol prices though.
    John Stevenson
  • Kieran_Burns
    Well THAT shut you lot up :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • The Rookie
    Canny Jock wrote:

We should stop this now before we get laughed off the forum by normal cycling folk.

Ewan

Sheesh Ewan that is SCARY!

LiT, silver alloys, normal volume exhaust, no 'chav' valve either, but then as an engineer i change things to make the car faster, not to make it look/sound faster!

I guess the fact that's 4 scoobynetters on a commuting by bike forum blows the stereotypes wide open!

Simon
  • Kieran_Burns
    The only problem being... I have remapped my Audi and stuck a Milltek exhaust on it! :lol:

However... the remap has made the car more fuel efficient and the exhaust just sounds smoother, none of the that diesel rattle sound
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    The only problem being... I have remapped my Audi and stuck a Milltek exhaust on it! :lol:

However... the remap has made the car more fuel efficient and the exhaust just sounds smoother, none of the that diesel rattle sound

OMG did you employ a japanese hacker called Wasp and totally chip your ride? Is it, like, running so hot it breaks the rolling road? Did you fit a dump valve emulator so you could drift with the pros?

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740

Having seen other recent posts, do you by any chance know anyone round your neck of the woods who goes by the name 'Dingy'?
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740

OMG did you employ a japanese hacker called Wasp and totally chip your ride? Is it, like, running so hot it breaks the rolling road? Did you fit a dump valve emulator so you could drift with the pros?

First Warcraft and Linux, now this. Where will it end???
  • PBo

Aren't you just a wee bit suspiciously TOO up on the jargon?
    :)

This might be a dumb question, but how do they let you moderate scoobynet when owning an Audi, KB?

Would admitting to the audi over there, be worse than admitting to scooby net here?
    :)
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    LiT is on form with the wind-ups I see...go girl :wink:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • The Rookie
    Heh, just because we like Bikes, nothing says (well apart from Andy Manc in the critical mass thread I guess) that we can't like cars as well.......

Simon
  • _Brun_ wrote:

First Warcraft and Linux, now this. Where will it end???
    Has LiT found some secret Beta selections in Google Translate? I think we should be told.
  • The Rookie
    I think perhaps she was subjected to F&F Tokyo drift last weekend on the telly......

Simon