Pipedream Sirius R853 frame weight guessing game

2»

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    m'bee, they'll now have to paint it black though as well then. :lol:
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    i weigh every part i buy and forks and saddles seem to be up there with frames when it comes to optimistic weights. theres a big difference between claimed and actual. i think that if your spending big money to save, in some cases just a few grams then the manufacturers have a duty to publish honest weights, i understand that weights can vary to some degree but when your frame is a pound heavier than stated or your forks over half a pound heavier then we should be able to take action. i purchased a saddle that was a claimed 169grams but actual weight was 208 grams, it doesnt sound alot but i paid a lot more money that i could have saved myself by buying a cheaper heavier model.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I was thinking of changing my '08 handjob for one of these, but feck that.

I'll just sling a tensioner on there and SS it
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Toasty wrote:
    That's considerably heavier than a £150 Inbred, made out of bog standard 4130 isn't it?

That's not a fair comparison, On One had to downgrade the Inbred to be only rated for 100mm forks to get through CEN.

I had a wee chat with Pipedream, and yep, it turns out that the claimed weight was for a non-CEN preproduction frame, and was accurate at the time. The frame manufacturer forced them into CEN testing it though (quite rightly tbh, they were playing silly buggers) and that needed a load of changes including the gussets and new chainstays. So, rather than being a lighter Sirius it's a stronger Sirius. It also apparently came out heavier than they expected even with the changes.

I'll give them credit, I'm impressed by how straight they were, I told them I had a Soul and was looking for a second frame so they knew what my expectations would be from an 853 XC bike and they still gave me what seems to be a reasonable answer for the frame weight.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    good of them to let pre-orderers know. i'm not saying a word.

on the bright side my frame weighs 5.0lbs. thread here
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There has been a crackdown on manufacturers stating the wrong weights - I believe it has to be in a fixed percentage now.

With frames, they usually measure the very smallest. Also production paint can vary a lot.
  • Northwind
    good of them to let pre-orderers know.

Yup. TBH I don't think they're out to deceive, I think they've just made a gigantic balls up of the whole thing- they've started out with a lightweight design but they've had to compromise it so much for strength that it's neither one thing or t'other.

They now quote an average 5.3lbs for a medium which seems pretty much inline with the real weights, though of course is pretty terrible for a 130mm 853 frame.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Hmm. Still thinking about this though (don't know why, not like it actually makes any difference to me!) but at the new price, £350, the obvious comparison is the Genesis Core 853. 4.7lbs and £360. Genesis's finishing isn't as nice, they use cheaper hose guides etc and their paint isn't great but...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    i think anyone who gets a Sirius weighing 5.0lbs and under is onto a good thing but they need to reduce the price to £330 inc delivery to compensate for the added weight and weight discrepancy in this batch and it will be interesting to see what the price is on the next batch. . You can't fault the finish on them though they really are well turned out and you'll not chip it.