Pipedream Sirius R853 frame weight guessing game

blister pus
blister pus Posts: 5,780
edited May 2010 in MTB general
So.

You order a frame and ask for full details.

You specifically ask for the frames weight so you can make a purchasing decision.

By how much do you think the new Pipedream Sirius 853 overshoots the stated 4.1lbs? Humm? What final figure do you think it comes in at?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Usual rule of thumb is add 10% and take off 0.1 lbs [well I made that up] so going on that I would say 4.41lbs for a medium.
  • blister pus
    5.7 lbs for a medium.

no word of a lie :?
  • supersonic
    1.6 over?

Feck me.

I think that is illegal.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    That's outgrageous.... not as stated, and not a little either.

1.6lb is shocking!

I'd give them a call over that most certainly!!
  • blister pus
    It's beautifully finished and turned out and it's got a gorgeous ping 'n' ting to it when you flick it. but ffs. 5.7?? No danger of it not passing CEN but not much use to me either, I'd have probably accepted anything under < 5 because of the quality of finish, but.....
  • supersonic
    When Pipedream first came out, where a breath of fresh air. I liked their PYPE philosophy [no hype] and simple, but well finished and well priced, light bikes.

Nowadays - it is hype. OK 853 is the wonder metal, but not all they say is true about it - it doesn't ride any differently to any other steel.

And 5.7lbs, how they manage that?!
  • blister pus
    I just don't know what the frame shop has done. And i can't wait to hear what Stuart has to say about it and i feel sorry for them in a lot of ways because they've been bitchslapped at every turn in the redevelopment of the steel Sirius because of impending EN regs and simply by virtue of them being a small outfit with no clout and i seriously question just how much real design input they've had over this new frame shop they had to go with. Small fish in a particularly big and nasty sea.
  • supersonic
    Having said that - still infinitely better value, and lighter than the Orange P7
  • blister pus
    I paid £225 for it and I'm trying to work out if I can get a 5.7 lbs frame build with average spec work out < 29 lbs. if it can be done I might keep it. If not then I might as well go for the Sanderson, like I was originally going to.
  • supersonic
    I think you could do - if you look at it like a 28lbs build with an average alu frame then it looks a lot easier to do.

I don't agree with the limited scope of the CEN regulations.
  • The Big Cheese
    I think thats dooable, well under 30lb easily.

The BFe is going to come in at around 30-32lb but then again I have Lyriks and very heavy/bomproof kit. You shouldnt have a poblem get it sub 30lb.

£225 is a ridiculously good price for that frame, I would keep it and swallow up the extra weight, especially from what you said re: pipedream's situation.
  • blister pus
    It's a good call. I don't want to send it back for a few reasons. I've got the bulk of the kit ready to go (8 months wait / 8 months collecting sale stuff) so I'll shove it all on the scales and crunch some numbers tomorrow. plus head will be less negative. lol.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    5.7 lbs for a medium.

no word of a lie :?

fekking hell, my 853 Evil Sov scales at 6.5 lbs, but at least it's honest about it (claimed was 6.2)

my condolences BP, I know you've been waiting for this frame for ages

definitely possible to build in the high 20s though, my evil is just shy of 30 lbs and it's a light but strong (without going nuts) component build.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • blister pus
    Cheers bomberesque, it's going for a radical re-weigh in the cold light of day because something doesn't quite ring true here. I know it's well over 5 (and suspect 5.2/3) but I'm just not convinced it's 5.7. Either way, still not 4.1.

Got to hand it to them though, it is a well turned out frame. I'll do some outdoor shots of it later if I get time.
  • arian37
    arian37 Posts: 77
    Do you think they meant 4lbs 10oz? Just a thought. Anyway, still way above what you are weighing it as. I was contemplating getting one until a) I read this and b) I realised that the £299 price is without VAT and delivery - so looking at £354. I'd live with the weight - my old Rocky Mountain Blizzard was supposed to be 4lb 5oz but was 5lb 2oz and I built that up under 27lb (with nothing special). However, I'd be really interested to know how you managed to only pay £225 for it? Also, what's the sizing like - long top tube?
  • blister pus
    I was an original pre-orderer (8 months ago) so the frame i initially ordered / deposit down was for a 725 tubing version (the green prototype version the their site is the 725) and the spec was subsequently changed and existing orders were honoured at the original price. so that's why i got it at the price i got it. There's actually a fuck up on mine, but it's been sorted and the weight is 5.0 lbs, give or take, still not 4.1 but I can live with it, especially for the price i paid. The actual top tube length (not effective) for the medium is 22 and a bit inches.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That's a shame... There's maybe a bit of "If it's too good to be true" going on here but still. Personally I'd noise them up and seek a partial refund, if you like the look of the frame.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    If a new Soul comes in at 4.6 lbs I always had a sneaking feeling 4.1 was a tad optimistic but reasoned it plausible that this being the first batch pre CEN might just scrape in at the stated weight and get 'tweaked' further down the line when tested. I guess you were right, the frame shop beefed up prior to testing and didn't communicate this to them (and that's more than plausible from what i've seen). I did some addseys and subtractseys and i make arian37 about right with a 27lbs build. It'll do me. it's still a good price for what it is, i'll not push.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    You can bring that in under 30lbs easy.

My 456 is under 30lbs, and it's got coil Pikes on it (5.6lbs frame weight).

Air spring forks, lighter brakes, seatpost, bars etc, and I could have that down to 26-27 easy.
  • You can bring that in under 30lbs easy.

Air spring forks, lighter brakes, seatpost, bars etc, and I could have that down to 26-27 easy.
    yup my P7 weighs around 29lb so i'd say its do able for sure!
  • The Big Cheese
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    You can bring that in under 30lbs easy.

yup my P7 weighs around 229lb so i'd say its do able for sure!

:wink:
  • Northwind
    My Idrive was sub-30lbs and its frame weighed as much as my garage ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Just trying to figure out how my Proflex 768 frame, Marzz 600 XC, XT/Sram drive set, Mavic t/less with Conti Mtn Kings comes out at, 28.5lbs?

Can't believe some of the wts of your h/tails...as I'm "thinking" of jacking in two bikes for one Do-it-all aggressive XC hardtail.

Having 2nd thoughts now...Too many hills/Mts to go over 30lbs!
  • Northwind
    It just depends what you want it to do, a bombproof hardtail can easily be over 30lbs but you can't compare that with a lighter built full suss really.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    That's considerably heavier than a £150 Inbred, made out of bog standard 4130 isn't it?

I did weight the missus new inbred but forgot to record the weight sadly.
  • blister pus
    Standard medium inbred is about 5.5 I think. Medium Sirius 853 is 5.0. My Sirius replacement should be here by the end of today hopefully.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    they're sending you a replacement because the first one was too lardy?

result!
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • blister pus
    there was a couple of things i wasn't happy with and i think i got the factory runt of the litter. I'll report back when i know more.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Standard medium inbred is about 5.5 I think. Medium Sirius 853 is 5.0. My Sirius replacement should be here by the end of today hopefully.

300 grams of extra metal on yours then, bizarre :? I'm shocked they vary too much, even if it was a prototype they accidentally sent out or something.
  • there was a couple of things i wasn't happy with and i think i got the factory runt of the litter. I'll report back when i know more.
    they'll be sat in the shed, carefully filing off a few surplus bits of metal and then send you the same frame back :lol: