Aldi bike gear

2»

Comments

• track pump seems pretty good + I like the glasses :)
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Pumps a bit big I thought. Wouldn't fancy carrying it round in my back pack. What's wrong with a nice small hand pump?!
  • n.battison
    n.battison Posts: 57
    do you think anything will be available in any stores tomorrow?
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • Oxygen Thief
    yeah, doubt there'll be much clothing left but there'll be bits and bobs
  • Pumps a bit big I thought. Wouldn't fancy carrying it round in my back pack. What's wrong with a nice small hand pump?!

It's not for carrying around. The track pump will have your tyres up to 70psi in 30 seconds. Your face would be turning blue with a hand pump by the time you got to 40psi... Different tools for different jobs. The track pump just makes life easier...and is essential if you want to run high pressures.
    n.battison wrote:
    do you think anything will be available in any stores tomorrow?

Depends where you are. If you're central and the stores busy, it's not gonna last long. Where I am, it tends to last a few days at least.
  • Oxygen Thief
    I wouldn't even know when to run a high psi?!
  • I wouldn't even know when to run a high psi?!

When your riding on roads a lot with slicks :)

I have a small pump that I carry with me when I go out and the track pump from aldi seems good enough so I won't have to walk/drive down to a garage to get my tyres up to a high psi
  • Oxygen Thief
    Cool. Might go back after work today and get one then for my commute to work. Prob would be aeasier with a bit more air in my tyres.
  • BorisSpencer
    BorisSpencer Posts: 786
    DomWint wrote:
    Quality control update: the pop cap on the water bottle is pants - won't stay shut. Only wanted the cage anyway.

Mine was like that, it's only where the plastic strap has been bent backwards in the box.
    Bend it the other way and it holds it on nice and snug.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Oxygen Thief
    I dont like the water bottle now, not with the pop cap anyway. Got to suck to get the water out and that's not ideal when riding so gonig to try with the screw cap and if that's to fiddly gunna bin it and get plastic bottle.
  • toby_winkler
    toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
    Popped down to aldi today, still had plenty of stuff left in. Got myself a jacket, little computer thingy and some socks. I have to say I am very impressed with all 3 items. Computer was a little bit fiddly to set up, and the receiver wasn't close enough to the little magnet thing on my spokes, but after plenty of cut up inner tube it works fine!
  • Oxygen Thief
    Used my computer on way to work today, quite accurate too. Distance I expectedand the speed was showing the same as the one on the road that flashed your speed up.
  • toby_winkler
    Used my computer on way to work today, quite accurate too. Distance I expectedand the speed was showing the same as the one on the road that flashed your speed up.

Not bad for £4.99 then! Lets see how long it lasts though.

I am going to test mine against my gps tracker tomorrow, see how accurate it really is ;)
  • Oxygen Thief
    Lol, let me know. I can see the thign flying off during a ride if the going gets a little bumpy.
  • toby_winkler
    Lol, let me know. I can see the thign flying off during a ride if the going gets a little bumpy.

Yeah same. The cable ties provided where not long enough to go round my forks and the added padding needed to get the receiver close enough to the spokes. So i am going to go buy some heavy duty ones tomorrow, which should hopefully hold everything together a bit better.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Good idea, there was a computer in my Aldi reduced form the £4.99 to £2.50! Was tempted to ask for that one but didn't want to look tighter than I already did! lol
  • toby_winkler
    Good idea, there was a computer in my Aldi reduced form the £4.99 to £2.50! Was tempted to ask for that one but didn't want to look tighter than I already did! lol

haha yeah buying a computer for £4.99 is pretty tight anyway! Must have been something wrong with it anyway.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Does the job. if it looked a bit better I'd see no other reason to buy a more expensive one. Apart from a wireless one anyway.
  • toby_winkler
    Yeah, I don't even know how much proper ones cost. Can always buy another if it breaks!
  • Oxygen Thief
    Not much more really. but not as cheap as 5 squid.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160

haha yeah buying a computer for £4.99 is pretty tight anyway! Must have been something wrong with it anyway.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with these. I've been using Aldi wired computers on all my bikes for years without a single problem. Notched up over 50,000 miles so I think I would have found faults if they had any!

a serious case of small cogs
  • Oxygen Thief
    toontra wrote:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with these. I've been using Aldi wired computers on all my bikes for years without a single problem. Notched up over 50,000 miles so I think I would have found faults if they had any!

Maybe you can tell me then how to enable the scan function? I selected off surign teh initial setup by accident! But I don't really want to reset the phone to do the initial setup again?

Cheers
  • toby_winkler
    toontra wrote:

When I said there must be something wrong with it, I was talking about the one the other guy mentioned that had been reduced from £4.99 to £2.50 ;)
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Maybe you can tell me then how to enable the scan function? I selected off surign teh initial setup by accident! But I don't really want to reset the phone to do the initial setup again?

Cheers

Can't help I'm afraid as I always turn off any extras (scan, service, etc) during setup. Sorry.

a serious case of small cogs
  • Sah1990
    Sah1990 Posts: 49
    I went there yesterday after work at around 5.30pm. Had alot left as I expected for Haverhill, and I picked up the glasses, water bottle, underwear and the computer for the sum of £15 somthing.
    I Havent used any of them yet but hope to this weekend :)
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I should probably put this in the Lidl thread, but it's a few pages down now and I don't fancy dragging it back up to the top.

The Page Moss, Liverpool Lidl had about 5 of the toolkits left at 5pm today.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Oxygen Thief
    No worries toontra, it's not essential :)