Does No One like Trek ? !

swells
swells Posts: 10
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Just bought a Trek 6300 (2010) :shock: ! But when reading some of messages seems like not the flavour of the month make :? ! which gives me a mighty uneasy feeling of buying wrongly ! but I like it, tyres need changing in future but will do for now while I get used to riding and fit again well try !! Any opinions bad or good !!

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    No - not fashionable, exclusive or expensive enough :wink:
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Ignore passout his stable is full of old nags.

Treks are like bumholes everyone has got one. Nothing wrong with them, I just think some people don't like the idea of having the same bike as lots of other people.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    ^^ exactly, there are very few bad bikes once you get above about £500. They have slightly different specs but it is a case of what you prefer over what is the best bargain on paper.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Enjoy your bike you bought well.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • JDALY46
    JDALY46 Posts: 21
    I think its just bashing the big corporate boys - think 'boring and sensible' Honda motorbikes instead of the 'fire and passion' of an Italian Ducati ! I ride a 2009 6300 now upgraded to SLX kit and a 1.2 roady - no problems or complains whatsoever. The Bontrager accesories are top notch and the Remedy / EX bikes have cracking reviews.

For some no bike is worth riding unless its been pain stakingly hand built by an Italian peasant over 6 months by candle light and the Armstrong haters probably dislike Trek on principle! So don't worry about it - just get the bloody thing muddy and have some fun !
    Approach every problem in life like a dog - if you can't eat it or hump it, p**s on it and walk away...
    Trek EX8 2011
    Trek 6300
    Trek 1.2
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    It's called snobbery!
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    I and I also know others that have had issues with their warranty dept regards frame issues and bontrager parts. Most bike gripes are subjective I personally would never buy another Trek MTB because of what i experienced and I have also seen first hand with two of my mates yet their will others here that will swear by them and never had a problem.
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    WMB Bike of the Year - Trek Fuel EX8
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    saying all that had a trek oclv road bike for 10yrs now and its been outstanding and still is
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You know, I've just realised whilst reading this thread that I've harlde ever seen a trek bike on the trails.

When I first got into a more adventurous sort of riding, Treks all seemed to be geared towards XC speed demons - that image has kind of stuck in my head, meaning when I'm thinking of a new bike, they're not often considered.
    They do make some lovely machines these days though.
  • Salsamander
    Salsamander Posts: 53
    I think it tends to be because people just don't like big companies. My girlfriend got a lot of 'Specialized' related hate on a ride the was supposed to be empowering because she wasn't riding a bike that was 20 years old.

I think it is really sad, If you love your bike then screw what the others think :-)
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    Cos they are like Ford Mondeos. There's nowt wrong with your bike so enjoy it!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Think there's a review/write up of the Trek middle range 6000 bike in a recent Mtb Action mag. They gave it a great rating overall. ( Also did the same for the C'dale too...)

Really interested meself, as a bit nervous of the 8000 series as I "believe" they are really good XC bikes, but have paper-thin tubes.

Don't know why, but I like the single section of the rear seat stays: ( Is it more "flexible"?)
    Had this on my Airborne Lucky Strike and Black Widow.

Just looks neater to me.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    juankerr wrote:

Are they though? As said already I hardly see any Treks about.

Infact I see loads more Specialized HT's than anything else.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Briggo wrote:
    juankerr wrote:

Are they though? As said already I hardly see any Treks about.

Infact I see loads more Specialized HT's than anything else.

This. Basildon is hardly a MTB mecca but i've seen more Cannondale's and Marin's than Trek's and double the amount of Spesh hardtails over them.
  • swells
    swells Posts: 10
    Thanks you lot great response and pretty quickly too !! :shock: ! love the opinions just think that as beginners it is pretty scary selecting a bike anyway ! theres that no win situationfor us newbies :? As most of us will never do the 20feet dropoff , cycle the himalyas in 24 hours and have trouble with setting your bike up and talking the talk..... well you get my drift I think :lol: !? like the banter though but as some said F*** IT just ride the thing !!! :lol: and I do :lol:
  • the1pig
    the1pig Posts: 7
    I would'nt worry about it at all, at the end of day its the rider that matters the most.

I have mates who are partial to showing up bike snobs on rides, when they drop them on the hills and descents, with bikes from not so supposedly "cool brands" .

As many have said Duck It and get out and ride!
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    It's a bit odd - how are they "like Mondeos"?

The bike looks pretty good, can't see much wrong with it.
  • Anonymous
    My girlfriend got a lot of 'Specialized' related hate on a ride the was supposed to be empowering because she wasn't riding a bike that was 20 years old.
    Really? that's disgusting. :roll:

About the only time I ever got fed up of seeing the same bike everywhere was when we were at Coed y Brenin last year, and all the bikes outside the cafe were Orange 5s, apart from my wolfridge, and a mate's Norco six. It just annoyed me that so many people followed the Orange hype train, and would look down their noses at our rides, purely because we weren't in their (so called) "exclusive little club"
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Personally I just don't like the name "Trek", or "Giant" come to that. Whereas "Marin" or "Santa Cruz" sound okay. And of course if you want to be really sexy then "Commencal" and "Cotic" and "Cove" and ....well anything that begins with a "C" probably.....
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Anonymous
    I hate the way Marin is pronounced properly though! Probably got so used to hearing it mispronounced over the years!

Remember, it''s pronounced "cabbage" :lol:
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    Love treks had 6 over the years not had many problems and the few bits that have needed replacing ect have been done fast and without any fuss ! Great looking bikes and some great innovations from their huge R/D dept (abp, DRCV, E2) + their close links with FOX suspension all make for a good bike imo!
    Get out and enjoy it and when people with their fancy named bikes are waiting 6weeks for spares then there will be less riders on your trails :)
  • Anonymous
    Mark_K wrote:
    people with their fancy named bikes are waiting 6weeks for spares
    For what it's worth, one of the main reasons I went with another Marin, was the frankly incredible customer service. Dropped my old bike off at 6pm, by 9:30am the following morning, the swingarm had been replaced, and new bearings fitted. Can't argue with that.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    edited May 2010
    For a while in the 90s I was in love with a Trek 8500 in Charnock Richards Cycles.

Never did buy it.

I say ignore what's 'cool', buy what you like, fall off it and grin.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    And of course the "Trek" colour schemes are a bit dull......
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,079
    WMB seems to like them as they just made the Fuel EX8 their MBOTY.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • wesk
    wesk Posts: 131
    Ahh, Orange. I was riding them back when they were cool..... (stil got a '95 unsprung Clockwork - full LX, mavic 231 wheels with snowflake front bonus point for anyone who remebers that!!) Now Orange is just too common so I bought a Trek 6700......
    Nothing wrong with your bike, just ride it!
  • Anonymous
    Oh god, a snowflake laced wheel was never cool. If anything it was the polar opposite. It was trend whoredom at it's ugliest.
  • wesk
    wesk Posts: 131
    oh yes, complete with red (seized) alloy nipples....

You're right, never cool (but I was young and oonly just over Bula hats!!)
  • bulkydaddy
    bulkydaddy Posts: 85
    Most people in the club I I'm in ride Treks. 2 reasons for this:

1. Great bikes, specced highly. The in-house Bontrager kit is supoerb IMO.
    2. The club is affiliated to a main Trek dealer, generous discounts.

Infact, the second is probably the main reason why I have 5 in my stable, and I wouldn't change any of them. Great bikes, great customer service. What more do you want?
    The brave might not live forever, but the cautious don't live at all.