Who do you want to win the Giro?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited May 2010 in Pro race
I know the question was asked earlier but given the riders who have since pulled out (or been pulled out) of the Giro, anyone want to change their vote?

I would like to see Sastre win with Evans 2nd.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Me.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Carlos Sastre

if its not him I would like Evans to win it.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Someone like Moncoutie winning would mean that it had been a pretty amazing race full of surprises so in an ideal world he would be my choice.

On a more serious/likely note i would go for Evans.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Steve Cummings.

Seriously though - Evans, he deserves to win a GT (IMO).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Perfect world, Pinotti; this world Evans.

Strava is not Zen.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,571
    any brit then anyone from sky then probably evans
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Cadel had the Vuelta snatched away from him last year so a Giro win would be nice. Also good to see a World Champ contesting a Grand Tour.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I'd love Gilberto Simoni to win one last time. We're the same age and it would inspire me to try and emulate his escapades with the 20 kilos more that I carry. He probably doesn't smoke and drink as much as me either, but that's beside the point. Not very likely that he will win, but the question was who I would like to see win, not who I think will win. Will he be helping the little bastardo this time?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Perfect world? Gibo

This one? Evans
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Wiggins then Sastre
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Evans or Sastre would be nice. Either way I'd like a fair contest and for a change, a winner who doesn't get taken down by the anti-doping controls.
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    Kléber wrote:
    Evans or Sastre would be nice. Either way I'd like a fair contest and for a change, a winner who doesn't get taken down by the anti-doping controls.

+1
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,571
    Kléber wrote:

come on, just say it... you want cycling to be the winner!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    RichN95 wrote:
    Steve Cummings.

I have a funny feeling that Cummings will put in a better 'overall' performance and finish higher in the GC than Wiggo!

Would like to see basso win it
    cartoon.jpg
  • RichN95.
    Doobz wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Steve Cummings.

I have a funny feeling that Cummings will put in a better 'overall' performance and finish higher in the GC than Wiggo!

Would like to see basso win it

Certainly possible. He's been climbing quite well of late.
  • Bernardus
    Bernardus Posts: 136
    Sastre followed by Garzelli and Nibali

I thinks it's great that the Giro in recent years has become more international (compared to the '97-'07 Italic domination), but OTOH it's also great to see a hometown favorite win. Unfortunately Italy's main contender is on the naughty step, Basso never wins time and Cunego is too inconsistent.

I don't like Evans, but I do agree it would be nice to see a World Champion win a GT.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    I'd love to see Wiggins win it.

Failing that Cadel, then Sastre. I have belief in all three of their performances...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • First choice would be Wiggo. Second Sastre, Third Evans.

It'd be nice if Miller and Wegelius could steal a stage win along the way.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Would love to Sastre win but will settle for anyone BUT Evans, cannot stand him.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    First choice would be Wiggo. Second Sastre, Third Evans.
    100% agree with that though I've chosen Saste for the PTP, but it would be great to see Evans as world champ get a grand tour under his belt at last.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    If it was an ideal world then Simoni would win one last time. However, I don't think so. I'm going with Sastre. :D
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    donrhummy wrote:
    I know the question was asked earlier ...
    Was it? I thought only tips were asked earlier; the two are different.

Who do I want to win : Moncoutie, or any Italian.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Wiggins for me.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Of those who are in with a shout, I think it would be good to see Vande Velde win. He is unlikely to win the Tour, and the Giro would be an amazing triumph for him, his team and JV.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Of the contenders this year - I'd like to see Sastre do it.
    Failing that, Evans has suffered some pretty bad luck in recent GTs, so he would be a worthy winner.
  • I want Wiggo to win because he's a brit in a brit run team. It would be good for sky and wiggo to get a grand tour especially in Sky's first year. Though I know this would go against everything the sky knockers wish for. It would be great for british cycling whats not to love about that. However I think his chances of even getting a top 10 in the GC are slim to be honest.

I quite like sastre from what I have seen of him. Thanks to the bartape vids I developed a bit of a soft spot for cevelo test team.

And Evans despite being a Aussie i'd love to see him beat the rainbow jersey voodoo and have a great season. Since his attack at the worlds he seems to be a more of an attacking rider IMO. And adds a little something extra into the mix.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • RichN95.
    I want Wiggo to win because he's a brit in a brit run team. It would be good for sky and wiggo to get a grand tour especially in Sky's first year. Though I know this would go against everything the sky knockers wish for. It would be great for british cycling whats not to love about that. However I think his chances of even getting a top 10 in the GC are slim to be honest.

This is why I didn't pick him - I don't think he's trying to win. I rather he won than Evans (who I did pick), but he says he's just using it a training ride with some targeted stages and I don't expect him deviate from that plan.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Ideally? Dan Martin

Realistically Evans. Failing that Sastre or Basso.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    wicked wrote:
    Would love to Sastre win but will settle for anyone BUT Evans, cannot stand him.

+1
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Timoid. wrote:
    Ideally? Dan Martin

Realistically Evans. Failing that Sastre or Basso.

+1