First time I've shouted at a RLJer

2»

Comments

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    tatman69 wrote:
    A very interesting topic and one they has really made me think about how I cycle to work.

I too often go through red lights when it is a safe option ie no cars turning into my path etc and I also squeeze between kerbs and buses/lorries.

I staated commuting about 6 months ago after about 20 years off of the bike.

I suppose I have got into very bad habits and ones which could potentially put my life at risk, something I dont really want to do when I have 2 very small children at home. Problem is I find that when I get on the bike the adrenaline starts pumping and rationality goes out the window.

I think my ride home tonight will be a fresh start at being sensible on the road.

Thanks.

Please. Just. Don't.

Not being all wagging finger here, but please don't.

+100 I was going to post exactly the same.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I've yelled at a few RLJer's and generally don't get a very good response. I don't make it a habit to yell at every person who RLJ's as on my London commutes I'd arrive at work with no voice!

The one's I take exception to for some reason are those riders I'd expect to know better and this generally means the older ones. I practically spent the entire Drag Strip playing yo-yo with an older gent on his bike with the lights until he heard my comments outside Stockwell :-) I did also get a response from a girl heading north past Clapham Common as I was heading south who made a terrible noise.......I thought she was in trouble but it turned out it as just the paper bag she had hung on her arm hitting the spokes. I can only assume it was carrying that bag that meant she couldn't operate her brakes.....she yelled back "What's it to you?". On the same day I also had a tit RLJing (narrowly missing peds) and mounting the pavement - he got overtaken about a mile later as I hit a few more lights!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • tatman69 wrote:
    I suppose I have got into very bad habits and ones which could potentially put my life at risk, something I dont really want to do when I have 2 very small children at home. Problem is I find that when I get on the bike the adrenaline starts pumping and rationality goes out the window.

A good start, but how about the very small children 'you' take out because a mother with a buggy sets off on a 'green man' directly into your path? There are others there who might be injured by jumping lights too...
    Hope your fresh start went well, keep safe for your youngsters :D
  • tatman69
    tatman69 Posts: 176
    I stopped at every light this morning.....and didnt go on the inside of any buses or lorries!!!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Good on you! Now, it didn't take much longer, did it?
  • tatman69
    tatman69 Posts: 176
    To be honest I have checked my computer....but more importatnly it doesnt matter if it did or didnt...at least Im doing my part now to keep safe...just have to hope the drivers d othe same!

See at 34 you can still learn a lesson or two!!

Going off road this weekend...can be silly then!!!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Good on you! Now, it didn't take much longer, did it?

No. He drove :)

Nice one btw - I honestly get terrified every time I see someone dive down the inside of a large vehicle nowadays
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,190
    I've yelled at a few RLJer's and generally don't get a very good response. I don't make it a habit to yell at every person who RLJ's as on my London commutes I'd arrive at work with no voice!
    I'd love to shout at them all, but apart from no voice, I'd probably have got into a few fights in South London every day, which really b***ers up your commute times.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]