First time I've shouted at a RLJer

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I've broken my cherry.

Prick on a brompton through Clapham, his cycling was so reckless I was scared to overtake him. At every single red light he would mount the pavement and pass the crossing.

Eventually by Clapham North I had enough and shouted as I passed him

"You should stop at red lights".

Bell end.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    Did he say anything back to you?
  • zrazzle
    zrazzle Posts: 79
    I still love the little breather a red light affords!! Hate cycling up that hill at the end of latchmere road, get to the top, only to see the light going from red to green!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Ran to work this morning and got to see quite an astonishing array of poor cycling. RLJing, squeezing between buses and the kerb, riding on the pavement, etc.. Winced more than once. Amazed at just how many cyclists there are on the road, now that the sunshine has returned. Will start leaving earlier in the morning, when on the bike, to miss the worst of the carnage.

On the upside, the pretty young things have started to shed their winter coats :wink:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Gussio wrote:
    squeezing between buses and the kerb

shudders...breuaghhh..

I hate watching people do that...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Stopping at red lights is great, it's all good HIIT.

I also like chasing RLJers, it's all good exercise.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    What does shouting achieve other than to vent your own angry/ frustration/ annoyance?

Good to have you back BTW, it's been quiet round here the last week or two. Hopefully whatever kept you away has been resolved
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    Ho hum wrote:
    Did he say anything back to you?

Nope, he was breathing heavy while waiting behind me at the next set of lights.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    What does shouting achieve other than to vent your own angry/ frustration/ annoyance?

Venting annoyance and frustration is pretty much enough for me..

I've thought about shouting "look out" loudly and urgently and hope they stack it.

feck em.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • DonDaddyD

Absolutely nothing. I don't make a habit of it, but my adrenaline was pumping and this guy was just carelessly unsafe, I take issue with anyone who becomes a danger in my presence.

You should have saw his attempt to swerve around a bus, which was fully commited to pull out from the bus stop.

Good to have you back BTW, it's been quiet round here the last week or two. Hopefully whatever kept you away has been resolved

Thanks!
    Food Chain number = 4

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I had a suit on a Carrera Subway jump the red and mount the pavement to go round a bus taking its time to go round the tight left at the crossroads in town - he got in front of the bus, and stopped at the next lights!

I just said to him "If you stay on the road there's a chance we'll all get more rexpect from other road users."

He just stared straight ahead through his big Oakleys - and rode very courteously to the next red, where we parted company.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • zrazzle
    zrazzle Posts: 79
    Speaking of all this, just remembered - I saw one of those motorised push bike things go up on a curb to cross a zebra crossing the other day!
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Never underestimate the power is the disdainful look as you cruise by (assuming they're not too busy mashing furiously to notice).
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Kurako wrote:
    Never underestimate the power is the disdainful look as you cruise by (assuming they're not too busy mashing furiously to notice).
    I must admit to doing this, too, coupled with a resigned shake of the head.

I raise an acknowledging hand and nod to most people as I go by. RLJers not so much.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Nothing better than beating someone over a few miles who RLJ's when you have stopped at every one.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Canny Jock wrote:
    Nothing better than beating someone over a few miles who RLJ's when you have stopped at every one.

the downside (and I'm slow) is that they start taking more risks as they get annoyed as you keep catching them. So, I'm sorting of causing bad behaviour by not doing it myself.

On a second note, it seems that some cyclists are so used to doing what they want they simply no longer think it anti-social to sail through a crossing as the lollypop lady waves the kids across (clapham a good example).
  • phil_ss1
    phil_ss1 Posts: 194
    Lollypop operatives ought to just twat the passing cyclists like flies with their sign if they don't stop, or ram the pointy end through the front wheel :twisted:

Phil
  • roundthebend
    roundthebend Posts: 205
    I have a wee confession to make....I think I might be guilty of some RLJing, but it's not too bad in my opinion.

The road in question splits into two lanes - 1 for ahead and right, the other for left only. My preferred route is to turn right. With the traffic being quite heavy I find it difficult to get into a right turn position - I join this road not far before the lights at rush hour so the traffic is usually backed up all the way. So, I find myself in the straight ahead position which is roughly central on the ASL. I regularly just check that the traffic is stopped completely before moving onto the central island of the crossing, then over onto the path at the other side of the road when it's clear.

Now, I guess that I'm doing something technically wrong. But, it's perfectly safe and saves me hassle. I suspect it also removes some hassle for the drivers that would have to dodge around me as I turned right too.

Please, go easy on me. :oops:
  • TommyEss
    I refer you to my previous comment.
    TommyEss wrote:
    "If you stay on the road there's a chance we'll all get more respect from other road users."

*(Typo corrected!)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I have a wee confession to make....I think I might be guilty of some RLJing, but it's not too bad in my opinion.

The road in question splits into two lanes - 1 for ahead and right, the other for left only. My preferred route is to turn right. With the traffic being quite heavy I find it difficult to get into a right turn position - I join this road not far before the lights at rush hour so the traffic is usually backed up all the way. So, I find myself in the straight ahead position which is roughly central on the ASL. I regularly just check that the traffic is stopped completely before moving onto the central island of the crossing, then over onto the path at the other side of the road when it's clear.

Now, I guess that I'm doing something technically wrong. But, it's perfectly safe and saves me hassle. I suspect it also removes some hassle for the drivers that would have to dodge around me as I turned right too.

2 weeks travelling by PT for this blatant disregard of cycling rules!

*shakes head in dismay*
  • roundthebend
    roundthebend Posts: 205
    Cafewanda wrote:

2 weeks travelling by PT for this blatant disregard of cycling rules!

*shakes head in dismay*

2 weeks!? You don't realise how harsh a punishment that is. To get to work by bike is 2.8 miles. By bus, I have to take 2 half hour buses and it costs about £15 per week.

How about a promise to change my ways?
  • tatman69
    tatman69 Posts: 176
    A very interesting topic and one they has really made me think about how I cycle to work.

I too often go through red lights when it is a safe option ie no cars turning into my path etc and I also squeeze ibetween kerbs and buses/lorries.

I staated commuting about 6 months ago after about 20 years off of the bike.

I suppose I have got into very bad habits and ones which could potentially put my life at risk, something I dont really want to do when I have 2 very small children at home. Problem is I find that when I get on the bike the adrenaline starts pumping and rationality goes out the window.

I think my ride home tonight will be a fresh start at being sensible on the road.

Thanks.
  • TommyEss
    After a few years being over-eager, I now take things much easier on the commute - too many close calls have made me think "Is it really worth it?"
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    tatman69 wrote:
    A very interesting topic and one they has really made me think about how I cycle to work.

I too often go through red lights when it is a safe option ie no cars turning into my path etc and I also squeeze ibetween kerbs and buses/lorries.

I suppose I have got into very bad habits and ones which could potentially put my life at risk, something I dont really want to do when I have 2 very small children at home. Problem is I find that when I get on the bike the adrenaline starts pumping and rationality goes out the window.

I think my ride home tonight will be a fresh start at being sensible on the road.

Thanks.

Good stuff.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    tatman69 wrote:

I too often go through red lights when it is a safe option ie no cars turning into my path etc and I also squeeze between kerbs and buses/lorries.

Thanks.

Please. Just. Don't.

Not being all wagging finger here, but please don't.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cafewanda
    @ roundthebend

OK, cos I've just had lunch and am feeling a tad sleepy, I'll knock it down to 5 working days :)
  • Cafewanda
    I thoroughly recommend cycle training. It's not just for us adult learners.
  • tatman69
    tatman69 Posts: 176
    I promise...didnt realise how dangerous it was until I started reading this forum.....

I have been commuting on a MTB (15miles round trip) on noblies and after my week in Thetford next week am going to put some slicks on for the London 2 Brighton.

Managed a 30 mile ride which was quite hilly on the noblies so should be ok for L2B on slicks? Will they make a lot of difference in speed? Average around 16mph on the nobblies
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I will admit to going between busses and kerb.....but only when the bus is stuck at the one set of lights I have to pass and the queue in front is stationary, he's not moving anywhere, otherwise, no chance!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cafewanda
    I will admit to going between busses and kerb.....but only when the bus is stuck at the one set of lights I have to pass and the queue in front is stationary, he's not moving anywhere, otherwise, no chance!

Simon

Still not a good idea. However, free will and all that.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I shouted at a woman once on a busy road who kept jumping the lights. I shouted "red means to stop" the reply I got was "f*$k off"

I got my own back when I overtook them and said "you still couldnt get ahead of me even with all the red light jumping"