Anyone hit a pedestrian. or a dog?

fredy
fredy Posts: 308
edited August 2010 in MTB general
I ask because on the hills i ride, it is very hard not to go fast down the bridleways. I always fear that someone, or something my be lurking around the next corner ready to be flatened.

Comments

• MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I haven't yet, but it's why I joined the CTC last week to get £10million of third party insurance!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited May 2010
    fredy wrote:
    Anyone hit a pedestrian. or a dog?
    Innumerable dogs, rabbits, squirrels, foxes, badgers. mice, weasels, stoats, voles, birds and several groups of schoolkids.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Nah but I can't wait to! :P :evil:
  • Me no my friend yes... He has the uncanny ability to attract the only other living being out of nowhere & under his wheels..

I mean seriously people just walk out of bushes & from behind a tree we're about to pass & everytime right infront of my mate Si... There have been some ugly collisions involving dogs (that should have been on a lead I might add).
    Why oh why do onions make you cry?
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I once ran a kid over when I was about 14. Got air off his scooter.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i spooked someones horse earlier and they shouted abuse at me so i apologised and told them to try stopping from 20 mph+ whilst going around a corner on loose gravel/sand/dust/pebbles, they shut up pretty quickly :lol:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Almost squished a squirrel today....but no.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I hit a pedestrian last night.

The twat stepped into the road, then looked right.

It must of been a fun image of a 6'7 biker wearing a full face 6" away from him doing 20mph.

Barely jolted me at all, kinda fun.

my pedal tore his shopping bag which i felt a bit guilty about, but all in all a fun experience.

I would reccomend.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Only other riders....

group of about 20 noob DH'ers trying to cross a steep slippery grassy field in the Alps, was Ok until someone went down, any atempt to change direction or brake meant an imeadiate crash and sliding into each other. One of the funiest memories ever.
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Hit my own dog once, a big boxer dog at high speed . I went flying, the bike went flying, the dog took it in his stride and never even fell over..
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    I hit a tramp once in Brighton, but that was in my car. :lol:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Only my mate, most of the times because his bravery has exceeded his ability. Came close to smashing a few small dogs (thankfully they can change direction much quicker than I can) and spooked a few horses aswell (and like Hercule got shouted at everytime... shouted right back though).
  • Oxygen Thief
    Horses are really paranoid though aint they. Scared of them me, unpredictable big f**king things!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Me no my friend yes... He has the uncanny ability to attract the only other living being out of nowhere & under his wheels..

I mean seriously people just walk out of bushes & from behind a tree we're about to pass & everytime right infront of my mate Si... There have been some ugly collisions involving dogs (that should have been on a lead I might add).

This is so much like my mate its uncanny.
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    One of my mates hit a really fat woman in a town centre going home after a ride-absolutly hilarious :lol:

Another mate hit one of them midget deer things on the thetford blkack run, it just shot out in front of him and he couldnt stop in time
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    A mate of mine got a pigeon in the spokes. That made a mess.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • mackie1
    mackie1 Posts: 95
    Fortunately not. I tend to slow right down when there are dogs around and they can be quite unpredictable. Closest I've come was nearly hitting a bunch of pheasants but they actually ran (bloody quickly) away from us down the trail, very funny to watch!
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    dog that thought it was a good idea to chase me and the owner thought it was a better idea to let it, then it went under my wheel and there was a loud yelp from dog and woman but amazingly dog was ok, woman got a mouthful from me. Done a rat and pigeon as well both appeared to survive damm! :twisted:
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    They used to run Summer Mtb races in Bangor, on some waste land ( Houses on it now.)

The first corner was a dh hairpin left-hander.

Off the race goes, and I held back, "knowing" what was gonna happen.

First guy to the corner overcooks it and crashes badly.

The rest of the field...rode over him and his bike.

Funny, if you weren't the guy getting the free tyre-tattoos !!!
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    AidanR wrote:
    A mate of mine got a pigeon in the spokes. That made a mess.

Off topic but this reminds me of a story my mates older brother told me. He was riding down some local trails with a couple of his mates. 2 both in front of him, 1 on a mountain bike, the other on a BMX. The BMX had stunt pegs on the rear and got a little too close to the front wheel of the MTB'er, apparently a stunt peg at speed downhill is the quickest way to remove every single spoke from a wheel.... ended in hilarity my mates bro reckons. :lol:
  • Oxygen Thief
    Nice lie :wink:
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I remember hitting another friend once... He slammed on, I didn't...My front roll rolled up his seat stay and I proceeded to do a somersault, landing on my knees on a tarmac path.

I imagine my dismount looked pretty impressive.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    One stationary cyclist at the Forest of Dean on an Apollo FS bike, saw me coming and tried to move out of the way and instead got in my way!
    One moving cyclist on the Bristol - Bath cycleway, as I was going to pass her, she turned in front of me while staring at me.. we both crashed. I ended up straightening her handlebars out and also had to get the damned front derailleur straightened out too
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    Another option is Cycleguard http://www.cycleguard.co.uk/ for £27 you can insure yourself for £1m. How many dogs can you squash for that much?

I like the CTC old fogeys Senior rate of £22.50. I may wait a year or two and take that :?

Till then I'll try to miss the dogs ...
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    when i was a bit younger I hit a toddler who let go of his mums hand and run into the road in front of me. Quite nasty, I hit him at about 20Mph and I went flying and used my face to stop me sliding along the road.

Mum and kid disappeared into the shops......nice.

RD
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • Iwingstein
    Iwingstein Posts: 111
    I nearly hit a bloke last year. Him, his family and dog were on the village green I was cycling past on the way home.

Their brainless dog wasn't on a lead, it spotted me and ran into the road in front of me and a line of traffic. Fortunately I figured it was running to the road so had slowed down.

In the end I suggested he put on on a £%"^^&% lead, couldn't go hitting the prat in front of his kids.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i did have a yappy dog chase me one until i hit a big muddy puddle and it got a face full of mud and stuff, it almost drowned in sloppy common goo :lol:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • diddyfunk
    diddyfunk Posts: 252
    Back end of last year I was riding down a hill (bridle path) with a large group of ramblers walking up towards me.
    All except 1 rambler made way for me and he continued to walk staright up the middle of the path.
    Right I thought, lets shit him up a bit. So i rode at about 25mph towards him and then skid at the last minute and went round him (shouting the usual as I went past)

Then, upon riding up the other side of the hill my chain snapped (7 miles from home) and silly bo11ocks here didnt have any spare chain bits!

I STRONGLY believe that was God shooting me down! - LOL
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
    08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    No! they keep moving out the way! :( spoil sports :twisted: