OT: Calling Londoners (or anyone whose ever visited)

2»

Comments

• If it is warm enough (for my wife, when it comes to ice cream that is anytime), then Scoop, just off Covent Garden(streetview) is the best I have found so far. Particularly the extra dark chocolate.

Get the 2 flavour tub - they tend to pile it twice as high as the container :shock:
  • further
    further Posts: 52
    I can heartily recommend Ciao Bella on Lamb's Conduit Street, which is barely any distance from Russell Square.

And it's right next to The Lamb pub, one of the best in London.

Good shout. It's cheap and you can sit outside if it's a nice evening and it feels all continental and special.

Another reasonably-priced place that's pretty close is The Ship Tavern in Gate St, round the back of Holborn tube station. Food is several cuts above pub food available elswhere for the money. Holborn's on the way to Covent Garden from Russell Square.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    further wrote:
    I can heartily recommend Ciao Bella on Lamb's Conduit Street, which is barely any distance from Russell Square.

And it's right next to The Lamb pub, one of the best in London.

Good shout. It's cheap and you can sit outside if it's a nice evening and it feels all continental and special.

Another reasonably-priced place that's pretty close is The Ship Tavern in Gate St, round the back of Holborn tube station. Food is several cuts above pub food available elswhere for the money. Holborn's on the way to Covent Garden from Russell Square.

+1 on Ciao Bella. Great pizza/ pasta. Reasonably priced. If you want to go slightly posher there's a very nice Tapas place (Cigala I think) on the same street.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Ooooooh also, Dehesa in soho. Utterly fab food.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I like Busaba Eathai as well... If you want very authentic, cheap Chinese food go to Yeung something restaurant on Shaftesbury Avenue - think it's Yeung Cheng. No frills place but quick efficient service and very tasty Chinese food at very low prices. It's not onthe main drag through Chinatown - Gerrard Street, so it doesn't get a lot of the tourist traffic.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    ketsbaia wrote:
    +1 :D

Went there tonight. I enjoyed my pizza and mother her omelette plus it wasn't too expensive. Thanks to all for the recs.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Bodeans!!!!!!!

It's amazing. It's better American food than the American food you get in America.

Several locations around London:
    http://www.bodeansbbq.com/
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Jamey wrote:
    Bodeans!!!!!!!

It's amazing. It's better American food than the American food you get in America.

Several locations around London:
    http://www.bodeansbbq.com/

Mouth is watering at the thought of their pulled pork sandwich. I would eat in Bodeans every day if possible, or until I was unable to fit through the doors....
  • Jamey
    Ditto.

Mouth also now watering.

And for the benefit of those that haven't been there - they don't just do one pulled pork sandwich, there are about four on the menu, plus a whole heap of other stuff.

It's the only place I've ever been where I've genuinely felt upset that I could only have one thing from the menu... Well... Without looking like a complete lardo.
  • lost_in_thought
    Urgh, we used to get Bodeans as part of the lunch buffet at my last job. It was awful, fatty, everything coated in that gross sweet sauce the yanks love so much. Oh and salad? Veg? No?

Bleurgh.

No such thing as a free lunch.
  • Jamey
    edited May 2010
    Blasphemy.

I can't believe you left a job that featured Bodeans for lunch.

Featured it, no less.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Urgh, we used to get Bodeans as part of the lunch buffet at my last job. It was awful, fatty, everything coated in that gross sweet sauce the yanks love so much. Oh and salad? Veg? No?

Bleurgh.

No such thing as a free lunch.

What's not to like?
  • lost_in_thought
    Jamey wrote:
    Blasphemy.

I can't believe you left a job that featured Bodeans for lunch.

Featured it, no less.

Every thursday. It was awful stuff. Half the office left and ate out, but the office manager was a yank so the sugary heart-attack-on-a-plate kept coming.

I will never go there voluntarily. Ever.
  • Jamey
    I'm on the verge of tears.
  • suzyb
    We ended up in a place called the Refinary in Southwark for lunch today.

Food was nice and didn't seem to expensive but f**k me the drinks were expensive (£13 for 4 non-alcoholic drinks) and the service could have been better.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    suzyb wrote:

Food was nice and didn't seem to expensive but f**k me the drinks were expensive (£13 for 4 non-alcoholic drinks) and the service could have been better.

Non alcoholic cocktails?
  • suzyb
    amnezia wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Non alcoholic cocktails?
    2 diet cokes and 2 cappuccinos.
  • lost_in_thought
    suzyb wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Non alcoholic cocktails?
    2 diet cokes and 2 cappuccinos.

Hmmmm, that does seem rather dear. Well, it's not like you do it every day! Hope you're enjoying yourselves.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    suzyb wrote:

Could have told you that in advance. It's the new place under the Blue Fin building and caters for the IPC meejah set, so they do expensive and bad manners.