OT: Calling Londoners (or anyone whose ever visited)

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Mother and I are going to London on Thursday for a few days (this time not to pick up a bike). So I was wondering whether any of you good people could give some recommendations for places to eat, because as Mother says if the locals eat there then it must be good (or the only place there is :wink: ).

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Hmm. Whereabouts will you be based? When do you leave?

I reckon you should visit the Morpeth on Friday evening and say 'hi' to the gang (assuming they'll be there).

Others will be along with more suggestions.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    depends where in london you are, what sort of food, budget, that kind of thing.

use a website called toptable and get cheap meals at very good places
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    which part of London? its fairly large :)

+1 for toptable
  • suzyb wrote:
    Mother and I are going to London on Thursday for a few days (this time not to pick up a bike). So I was wondering whether any of you good people could give some recommendations for places to eat, because as Mother says if the locals eat there then it must be good (or the only place there is :wink: ).
    Big place, London. Which areas? Any food preferences (veggie?)? Budget?

I have always found that relatively cheap and reliable are the Pollo Bar (Pollo e Porchetta) on Old Compton Street (nice italian cafe style food), and the Stockpot - one of which can be found next to the Pollo Bar and another on Panton Street - also italian, but more a meat and 2 veg type of place (the peas get massively overcooked, though). These are both in 'theatreland' or Soho.

I've always liked the Portuguese places under the arches over by Vauxhall, too. Large, portions, good atmosphere.

The Big Easy on the Kings Road - not cheap, but not overly expensive. Loud, usually packed tex/mex type food.

I would just keep away from the traditional chains and you'll probably be fine.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    http://www.hareandtortoise.co.uk/flash/ ... locid=1595

Went here last week, Japanesey type place, tasty and good prices.
  • suzyb
    I thought I'd posted where :(

Hotel is near Russell Square, so somewhere around there. We're travelling down by train on Thursday so will be looking to grab some dinner around there.

Other than that I have no idea where we'll be visiting so don't know where we'll be. I just don't want to end up like we did last time, wandering around looking for somewhere near where we end up because Mother is hungry. So I thought if I have some recommendations we can always jump on the tube go for lunch/dinner then back out to whichever touristy place we were at.
  • In which case, how about everyone pops a recommendation down close to a tourist spot?

I'll go first, with my extensive knowledge of London:

Trafalgar Square/Covent Garden - Henry's on Henrietta St. Can't remember about prices as I was on expenses and we got blitzed. I don't think it was too bad though.
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    +1 on the Hare and Tortoise

Whatever you do, do not go into an Aberdeen Angus Steak House
  • +1 on avoiding the Steak Houses

And places like Planet Hollywood (not that the food is too bad there, it seems) or other tourist traps (TGIF, Pizza Express/Hut, Frankie and Benny's, etc... - why eat in these when they are the same everywhere?)

For a quick bite on the move (say, for lunch), I have found the falafel wrap at Gaby's Deli on Charing CrossRoad better priced and tasting than anything in such a touristy area has a right to be. The other stuff I've had there has been OK, too.

This is local to Shaftsbury Avenue (theatreland again), Leicester Sq, not far from Trafalgar Sq.

If you are around on a Sunday, then it might be worth trying lunch at the Fox and Anchor near St Barts Hospital, Smithfield (site of the Smithfield Nocturne in mid June), Postman's Park, St Barts Church (star of such films as 4 weddings, Shakespeare in Love...), the William Wallace memorial and the Barbican (and Museum of London). By all accounts the lunch is worth experiencing.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    If you're at Russell Square, my vote would be head west, across Tottenham Court Road, and onto Charlotte Street - Loads and loads of excellent restaurants there.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    TommyEss wrote:
    If you're at Russell Square, my vote would be head west, across Tottenham Court Road, and onto Charlotte Street - Loads and loads of excellent restaurants there.
    What him said.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I can heartily recommend Ciao Bella on Lamb's Conduit Street, which is barely any distance from Russell Square.

And it's right next to The Lamb pub, one of the best in London.

There are a few good places to eat on that street, as it happens.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Viet! Viet viet viet. It's very close to piccadilly circus, on greek street in soho.

It's very cheap, BYO, and canteen-style seating, but great food.
  • spasypaddy
    Trafalgar square id recommend a little scottish place at the south side of the square, cant remember its name. its awesome though.
  • lost_in_thought
    Ooooh there's a good thai in traf sq too, on the cockspur street corner. It's quite fancy, but not stupidly pricey.
  • cyclopsbiker
    cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
    http://wildandwoodcoffee.co.uk/#

near to British Museum and north-ish of Covent Garden....well worth the short walk for a coffee and cake, fabulous place.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Trafalgar square id recommend a little scottish place at the south side of the square, cant remember its name. its awesome though.

The Albannach?

Great place, but make sure you check the prices before ordering whisky. *taps nose*
  • spasypaddy
    ketsbaia wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

The Albannach?

Great place, but make sure you check the prices before ordering whisky. *taps nose*
    thats the one, i had the pigs bladder, it was stunning.
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    Busaba Eathai is a chain but I've always had good meals there. This is the link to their site, they have branches around town.
    http://www.busaba.com/
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Busaba Eathai is a chain but I've always had good meals there. This is the link to their site, they have branches around town.

+1 - Eaten there a few times now. Can get busy at times though - they queue you up a bit like Wagamamas if they're full!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    +1 for The Stockpot, just off Leicester Square. Good food, good portions, civilsed prices, nice waitress too. I expect. :)
  • lost_in_thought
    TommyEss wrote:
    artaxerxes wrote:

+1 - Eaten there a few times now. Can get busy at times though - they queue you up a bit like Wagamamas if they're full!

I've been taken to the chinatown one a few times and it's never been very good. Very, very busy at times too.
  • suzyb
    artaxerxes wrote:
    +1 on the Hare and Tortoise

Whatever you do, do not go into an Aberdeen Angus Steak House
    We went to one of those last time. Food was OK but overpriced which is why I'm asking for recommendations.

Thanks folks. Got a good list so hopefully Mother and I can find somewhere we can agree on :wink:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Golden Dragon, Gerrard Street - fantastic dim sum - all the locals eat there
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Russell Square is right next to Brunswick Square shops - a number of reasonable places in there. Mainly chains but decent chains:

http://www.brunswick.co.uk

You could head to there and see what you fancy. Hare and Tortoise, Strada, Carluccios etc.

As other have siad, that's very close to lambs Conduit Street and Ciao Bella is a great Italian, but can get very busy.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,651
    Burger King Leicester Square, triple whopper meal, followed by Hagen Das shop.

Bosh, job done.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Do you really call her "mother"? In a Norman Bates/Seymour Skinner kind of way?
  • suzyb
    biondino wrote:
    Do you really call her "mother"? In a Norman Bates/Seymour Skinner kind of way?
    It's usually "oi old bag" :wink:

Actually I do. And thinking about it, it probably is in a slightly Seymour Skinner way :oops:
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Leon on the Strand or down by Blackfriars for reasonably priced, healthy, tastiness.

Food for Thought just of Neal's Street Covent Garden for tasty veggie.

Kulu Kulu just around the corner from the above if quality, conveyer belt sushi is your thing.

Um, other places for other stuff too
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Would be easier to answer if you specified what sort of scoff youZ like.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.