Levi Leipheimer busted for doping.

BikingBernie
BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
edited May 2010 in Pro race
Back in 1996...

Seems like a PR job worthy of Armstrong has been run in order to remove all recollections of this from the public conscience.

Though seemingly a topic that is intentionally avoided by the US cycling media, America's own Levi Leipheimer tested positive for doping once, during the 1996 US Amateur National Criterium Championship. Leipheimer, now a key member with Lance Armstrong of Radio Shack, was caught for doping with ephedrine. But until now, a cursory Google search would turn-up nothing on Leipheimer's doping past

http://joepapp.blogspot.com/2010/04/lev ... e-for.html

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    :roll:

Strava is not Zen.
  • jbribble
    jbribble Posts: 6
    But he has never tested positive since,he has learnt his lesson
  • BikingBernie
    jbribble wrote:
    But he has never tested positive since,he has learnt his lesson
    Yes, don't get caught!
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    No offense but ephedrine? Really?
  • BikingBernie
    donrhummy wrote:
    No offense but ephedrine? Really?
    Ephedrine used to be a very popular drug amongst those who are prepared to dope in order to gain an advantage over others, even a marginal one.

Still I am sure that those who would defend a proven doper like Leipheimer would take a similar stance with regards other riders who have 'learnt their lesson', such as Vino, Miller, Basso and so on.
  • andylav
    andylav Posts: 308
    Puerile Howard, even by your standards
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Back in 1996...

Seems like a PR job worthy of Armstrong has been run in order to remove all recollections of this from the public conscience.

You're even quicker than IainF with the news.

PS As a political type: the election - do you think Blair can topple the Major government on Thursday?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jbribble
    we all make mistakes, If they do it again ban them for life
  • BikingBernie
    andylav wrote:
    Puerile even by your standards
    That's right, when you don't like the message, attack the messenger. :roll:
  • BikingBernie
    jbribble wrote:
    Odd how so many people seem prepared to forgive Leipheimer when the likes of Vino, Miller and Basso are held to be tainted for life.
  • BikingBernie
    RichN95 wrote:
    You're even quicker than IainF with the news.
    When a concerted effort is made to bury significant news stories, it often takes years for the truth to surface, if it ever does.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Odd how so many people seem prepared to forgive Leipheimer when the likes of Vino, Miller and Basso are held to be tainted for life.

Que? Vino, Millar and Basso blood doped. As pro riders. In the biggest events.

Levi was caught using a stimulant in some crappy amateur crit in the US. Who really gives a monkeys?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    jbribble wrote:

Where are these people you speak of?

Maybe they're on the "other thread"? Fancy popping over and giving your opinion?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • BikingBernie
    iainf72 wrote:
    Vino, Millar and Basso blood doped. As pro riders. In the biggest events.

Levi was caught using a stimulant in some crappy amateur crit in the US. Who really gives a monkeys?
    I would have thought that it was highly significant that Leipheimer already had a 'doper's head' when he was an amateur riding 'crappy' criteriums. Can we really believe that such a rider would go from being a doper to being clean after turning pro, fighting to get results in 'the biggest events' and surrounded by riders from 'Mafia European nations' for whom doping was regarded as being a mark of 'professionalism'?
  • jbribble
    I'm off,got to get out on the chopper before nightfall
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Old news.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Hey - can you guys please put *SPOILER* on threads like this. I had already taped the "who gets outed before a grand tour" show and now I know :-D
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    DaveyL wrote:
    jbribble wrote:

Where are these people you speak of?

Maybe they're on the "other thread"? Fancy popping over and giving your opinion?

I'm a tainter. Line 'em all up. No good doping b*stards. No 2nd. chances for anyone. Not no one. Not never. Not for any reason. All of them should have a "D" carved on their foreheads with a butcher knife.
    Have a pleasant day guys. :wink::wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    jbribble wrote:

Of course the source of your ancient story is a former doper who changed his ways after being caught by moving into drug dealing to the riders, with a client list of about 200. But you neglected to mention that - but he's forgiveable because he's draging up common knowledge about riders who are close to your obsession.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    iainf72 wrote:
    Vino, Millar and Basso blood doped. As pro riders. In the biggest events.

I would have thought that it was highly significant that Leipheimer already had a 'doper's head' when he was an amateur riding 'crappy' criteriums. Can we really believe that such a rider would go from being a doper to being clean after turning pro, fighting to get results in 'the biggest events' and surrounded by riders from 'Mafia European nations' for whom doping was regarded as being a mark of 'professionalism'?

Do you also practice Phrenology?

What's the statute of limitations on this stuff?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • BikingBernie
    RichN95 wrote:
    the source of your ancient story is a former doper who changed his ways after being caught by moving into drug dealing to the riders, with a client list of about 200.
    Sounds like he really knows what he is talking about then!
  • BikingBernie
    edited May 2010
    dennisn wrote:
    Line 'em all up. No good doping b*stards. No 2nd. chances for anyone. Not no one. Not never. Not for any reason. All of them should have a "D" carved on their foreheads with a butcher knife.
    Sounds like you need to up your medication a little, Dennis.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    BB - One of the favourites for the Giro has been removed from the sport today. I don't think people are really interested in what Levi did when Peter Sagan was 6.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    Line 'em all up. No good doping b*stards. No 2nd. chances for anyone. Not no one. Not never. Not for any reason. All of them should have a "D" carved on their foreheads with a butcher knife.
    Sounds like you need to up your medication a little, Dennis.

Maybe you're right. Let's see now, what was I supposed to take today? Sure hope the dope testers don't come looking for me. In all honesty, I'm pretty sure any one of the old age drugs I take would get me a two year ban. Maybe that's why I empathize with those guys.
  • BikingBernie
    dennisn wrote:
    Let's see now, what was I supposed to take today? Sure hope the dope testers don't come looking for me. In all honesty, I'm pretty sure any one of the old age drugs I take would get me a two year ban. Maybe that's why I empathize with those guys.
    By 'these guys' do I take it that you mean American riders? After all, you only ever seem to pass comment when it is an American rider's doping habits that are under scrutiny.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Doping knows no country...
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    Let's see now, what was I supposed to take today? Sure hope the dope testers don't come looking for me. In all honesty, I'm pretty sure any one of the old age drugs I take would get me a two year ban. Maybe that's why I empathize with those guys.
    By 'these guys' do I take it that you mean American riders? After all, you only ever seem to pass comment when it is an American rider's doping habits that are under scrutiny.

I think that's stretching it a bit. Just a bit. Especially for a somewhat tongue in cheek statement. But you knew that. :wink::wink:
  • BikingBernie
    iainf72 wrote:
    BB - One of the favourites for the Giro has been removed from the sport today. I don't think people are really interested in what Levi did when Peter Sagan was 6.
    That's the problem, many people only seem to be interested in doping, or willing to accept that riders dope, when they come from 'Mafia European nations'. When it comes to the likes of Leipheimer, people are quite happy to ignore the fact that they are almost certainly just as guilty, even if they do have better PR teams, doping management systems, friends in high places in the UCI and so on.
  • BikingBernie
    edited May 2010
    dennisn wrote:
    I think that's stretching it a bit. Just a bit. Especially for a somewhat tongue in cheek statement.
    Yes, just but only a tiny bit...