What level of rain stops you riding?

RockingDad
RockingDad Posts: 239
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Arranged a ride with my brothers today as one has just bought himself a new mountain bike and wanted to try it out. Tracked a good 10 mile XC route around where he lives in Harwich..... woke up this morning to the sound of rain battering the bedroom window followed by numerous texts cancelling.

Now I would have gone, yes it's raining and it would be muddy as hell but c'mon let just get out there and go for it.

What levels of rain / weather stops you guys going out for a ride?

RD
2010 Carrera Fury
1992 Raleigh Equipe

Comments

• asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Torrential. I don't mind the rain - I quite like riding my bike in the rain actually - but if it's p*ssing down AND very windy then forget it.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    about 2 ft saying that its been so dry here for the last couple of months that rivers have become streams.
  • Depends on he mood. Sometimes a handful of menacing clouds would dissuade me. Other times I'd be happy in a monsoon.
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Nothing used to stop me ... Now the bike is being kept indoors till the new shed arrives ive become a wimp ! :oops:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    I dont mind going out after it's rained and the ground is wet and the trails are muddy but I wont leave if it's actually raining or looks like it's about to rain.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I don't like leaving in the rain but if I'm already out then its fine.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    Im a white water kayaker first and foremost so iv its pouring down Im normally heading towards the rising rivers but most rain wont stop me biking.

We have had some heavy showers the last few days but its been warm so its actually been quite nice.
  • wavey1490
    wavey1490 Posts: 39
    I dont mind if it starts raining hard while I'm out but I cant be arsed to go out the door when it is already pooring it down. Spent too many nights on long lonely training rides in winter on the road bike to get ready for the xc season. so these days its much more relaxed ie sit indoors with a corona or seven and watch eastenders lol :D
    Anorexic Racing Snake ;)
  • teacherman
    teacherman Posts: 454
    It'll only stop me going out if its hammering and looks set in for the day and then it'll put me in a strop for most of the day :evil:
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    When my nose/mouth are covered...
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    You need an option for "rain doesn't stop me from riding, no matter how hard it is" :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if it is wet out, i tend not to bother as i cant be arsed with the slop, cycling is a HOBBY to me, not a sport, a rite of passage, a measure of my manliness or anything else so when its wet, i avoid. i do other stuff in my spare time too so i will do those things to occupy my time instead

if it rains once i have started, im not bothered in the slightest.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    dunno

depends on mood
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    Was down to do gorrick 100 today but binned it, wet i dont mind too much but wet and cold is a no no in my book now. As mentioned already did it all in winter and just not prepared to suffer it anymore plus over the years think I've served my time riding in rain and its stop being fun, novel or macho. :(
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You need an option for "rain doesn't stop me from riding, no matter how hard it is" :D

Or nothing will stop me from getting home.

:wink:

but to stop me going out of the front door. that is another story.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If commuting then no problem with rain with my mudguards, panniers etc.

If its on a training ride then turbo trainer here I come.
    ALready riding with mates? well rain doesn't matter then.

Personally I hate the cold weather with a passion.

But no such thing as bad weather-just wear the right clothes.
  • If I'm already out I don't mind, but if it's windy out then not a chance... I live in the wrong country...
    Why oh why do onions make you cry?
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I'm with the "rain's not an issue, but strong winds suck balls" crowd myself.
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Nothing stops me - you only get wet once :wink:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    supersonic wrote:
    This level:

floods_barrel_chapeltown_365x470.jpg

that would not keep me out, but might keep me in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    At the moment nothing short of flooding stops me, but if I only jad on bike and it had new brake pads in I wouldn't want to wreck them before bedding them in dry.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    on the mountain bike, pretty much as long as my feet aren't underwater every stroke (although south downs in the wet scares me). I hate road riding in the rain though.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • BenWatson89
    BenWatson89 Posts: 83
    Was down to do gorrick 100 today but binned it, wet i dont mind too much but wet and cold is a no no in my book now. As mentioned already did it all in winter and just not prepared to suffer it anymore plus over the years think I've served my time riding in rain and its stop being fun, novel or macho. :(

Carbonfiend - I was down for that today however my back stopped me from racing. However the course was meant to be nasty and was soo muddy. People were just chewing through disc pads.

On the topic - Rain doesn't really stop me, sometimes i rather enjoy it plus it cools you down :) However if its torrential rain outside there isn't really much point in going out unless I only have a set time to ride.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    water doesn't bother me its the wind and cleaning the bike afterwards that bugs me

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    . However the course was meant to be nasty and was soo muddy. People were just chewing through disc pads.

everytime a race happens in those conditions I always think thank god I didnt do it :) defo getting old :?
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Rain? Don't care.
    Gound? Not a big fan of mud baths,
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    ride whatever the weather, however if im already tired and feeling not overy enthusiastic i can be swayed by noahkian type rain.

the other day i went for ride in jeans and hoodie in the type of rain that coats everything including the top of hills in an inch of water and the rain bounces, and causes flash floods. it was EPIC, i just went for a street ride, it was amazing, just so fun an slippy.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • I don't commute if it is pissing down and/or very windy.

I will happily Mountain bike unless the weather is dangerous/severe. i.e flood warnings. severe gales.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    the only thing i dont like is mega strong headwinds / sidewinds
    I like bikes and stuff