Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Tubular Tyres being prepared for punctures

macondo01macondo01 Posts: 706
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
I am new to using tubular tyres and was thinking of buying one of these products to carry with me if I get a flat. Anyone any experience of using either? I am mostly looking for something to get me home as the team car and team driver are usually grounded at home with young children :wink:

Currently I carry a spare tub and some tape, and levers (and a phone)

Thanks


GTT

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=9702&f%5FFullProductVersion=1&f%5FSupersetQRY=C275&f%5FSortOrderID=1&f%5Fbct=c003154c003139c003528

Vittoria Pit Stop

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/5278/Vittoria-Pit-Stop-Tyre-Repair.html?referrer=froogle&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid5278
.
"Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon

Posts

  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,585
    Macondo01 wrote:
    I am new to using tubular tyres and was thinking of buying one of these products to carry with me if I get a flat. Anyone any experience of using either? I am mostly looking for something to get me home as the team car and team driver are usually grounded at home with young children :wink:

    Currently I carry a spare tub and some tape, and levers (and a phone)

    Thanks


    GTT

    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=9702&f%5FFullProductVersion=1&f%5FSupersetQRY=C275&f%5FSortOrderID=1&f%5Fbct=c003154c003139c003528

    Vittoria Pit Stop

    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/5278/Vittoria-Pit-Stop-Tyre-Repair.html?referrer=froogle&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid5278

    FWIW I haven't used either of the products you mention. I have however used Tufo tubulars and the sealant that Tufo makes, with good results. This sealant probably won't work on tubulars with tubes in them(Tufo's are tubeless). In any case the only problem I've encountered is that after putting the sealant in the tires the valves tend to get a little seized up. I would assume that other sealants for other tires would do something similar.
    Anyway, sorry I couldn't help with your original question but thought I'd throw Tufo out there for your information.
  • macondo01macondo01 Posts: 706
    Thanks I'll look that up
    .
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

    National Lampoon
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,021
    i'm pretty sure the tufo tubs have a tube, however the tube is butyl, rather than latex, as found on most other tubs, hence why tufo sealant is only suitable for tufo tubs...

    i might be wrong.


    I have vittoria corsa evo cx, and carry a can of pitstop and a spare tub. I'd probably use the spare tub first, as i would want to send the corsa for repair. If you use pitstop, and the tyre goes flat, the sealant apparantly bonds the tube together and ruins the tub.
  • macondo01macondo01 Posts: 706
    Thanks Moonshine - I didnt know it spoilt the tub - I currently have vittoria rally's on, they came with the wheels and cost about £14 a tyre.

    By the way the current tubs are glued. If I replace the tyre on the road do I rely on the existing glue or use tape to get me home?
    .
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

    National Lampoon
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,585
    moonshine wrote:
    i'm pretty sure the tufo tubs have a tube, however the tube is butyl, rather than latex, as found on most other tubs, hence why tufo sealant is only suitable for tufo tubs...

    i might be wrong.

    They are tubeless in that they have no real "tube" in them in the conventional context of a tube. Just an airtight casing and tread. The casing is the tube, so to speak.
  • Take Pitstop and CO2 (blow a little CO2 in after applying Pitstop to clear the valve and stop it clogging). I carry a spare tub on long rides but Pitstop is the first solution I use. It won't fix everything (about a 4mm cut is the limit normally) but it will get you home or at least to civilisation if you're riding in the sticks. I ride carefully (though on some poor roads it has to be said) and rarely have a problem.
  • macondo01macondo01 Posts: 706
    Thanks
    .
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

    National Lampoon
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,021
    dennisn wrote:
    moonshine wrote:
    i'm pretty sure the tufo tubs have a tube, however the tube is butyl, rather than latex, as found on most other tubs, hence why tufo sealant is only suitable for tufo tubs...

    i might be wrong.

    They are tubeless in that they have no real "tube" in them in the conventional context of a tube. Just an airtight casing and tread. The casing is the tube, so to speak.

    I stand corrected. :-) thanks

    wrt rallys.... They are pretty cheap . £10 from Decathlon. I would'nt worry about ruining them with Pitstop. I'd give it a bash first before changing a tub beside the road.
    Corsa's at £50 a pop are another matter as once pitstop is used, they wouldn't be ableto me repaired.
  • macondo01macondo01 Posts: 706
    £10 from Decathlon that's even better, thanks for that. Yes lovely Corsa's deserve more care!!

    BTW if I punctured and had to change the tub which is glued - should I put tape on the repalcement tub or rely on the existing glue? cheers
    .
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

    National Lampoon
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If using glue, apply a couple of layers to the base tape of the spare and letting the first dry. before reapplying and drying. Press the insides together and fold up. When you remove the punctured tyre, there will be residue left on the rim which should hold the spare firmly enough to get you home - just don't got hammering through any bends.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
Sign In or Register to comment.