Working out your racing weight (calc)

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
Whilst waiting for my car tyres to be changed this morning, I was browisng the mags (not top shelf!) in WHS.
Flicking through Triathlon mag, I came across an article on working out your ideal racing weight.
I didn't realise there was a calculation for this, but here goes, for anyone else curious...

Firstly, you'll need to know your BMI.
Work out your body fat mass: Multiply your body weight by your BMI (as a decimal).
Me: 75 x .22= 16.5kgs.
Work out your lean mass: Your weight - body fat mass.
75-16.5=58.5kgs :shock:
Your Goal: Lean mass/ goal BMI (as a decimal).
58.5/.90=65kgs.

EG using my stats:
BMI=22%
Weight=75kgs.
Goal BMI=10%

Off to throw all the biccies out... :oops:
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    Do you mean Body Fat Percentage (BFP), not Body Mass Index (BMI)?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    That seems pretty rough around the edges. My BMI is quite high because I carry a fair bit of muscle mass from my swimming days. Once you get a distorted BMI figure then it throws out everything else in that calculation.
  • hopper1
    phreak wrote:
    That seems pretty rough around the edges. My BMI is quite high because I carry a fair bit of muscle mass from my swimming days. Once you get a distorted BMI figure then it throws out everything else in that calculation.

Have it measured with calipers at a gym.
  • hopper1
    pbt150 wrote:
    Do you mean Body Fat Percentage (BFP), not Body Mass Index (BMI)?

Yes... :oops:

Sorry
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Don't know what's more worrying, the fact that I'm 58kgs or that by that measurement I should be 53.5.................
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    I have just read an excellent book on this called Racing Weight. no faddy diets, just good common sense stuff for people into sports like triathlon

see here http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1934030511?tag=z10.10.03-20
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    inseine wrote:
    Don't know what's more worrying, the fact that I'm 58kgs or that by that measurement I should be 53.5.................

How tall are you? Cos if you're taller than 5' I'd be worried too!!! :P
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    5'7'', and I've got a bit of a spare tyre...............(love handles anyway!).
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Well I'm 5'8" and probably about 74kg at the moment (was 100 though) - so you're skinny in my book!! (Unless I've built up horrendously Hoy-esque thighs!)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    inseine wrote:

Wow, that is light. I'm 5'5" and 59kg.
  • phreak wrote:
    inseine wrote:

I'm 5'10 and 63kg :)
  • hopper1
    robbiedont wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    inseine wrote:

I'm 5'10 and 63kg :)

But you stink when you fart!
  • hopper1
    Jay Clock wrote:
    I have just read an excellent book on this called Racing Weight. no faddy diets, just good common sense stuff for people into sports like triathlon

see here http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1934030511?tag=z10.10.03-20

The calculation is taken from that book.

I think I may buy the book, if it's worthwhile...
  • pbt150
    That book looks pretty interesting, but tbh it's not that hard to get your bfp below 10% or so, provided you are committed enough. You just need to be prepared to analyse everything you eat and start obsessing about food. And be ready to put on 5-10 kilos when you stop dieting.
  • hopper1
    pbt150 wrote:
    That book looks pretty interesting, but tbh it's not that hard to get your bfp below 10% or so, provided you are committed enough. You just need to be prepared to analyse everything you eat and start obsessing about food. And be ready to put on 5-10 kilos when you stop dieting.

If it wasn't hard work, we'd all be racing snakes! :shock: :wink:
    Analysing everything you eat and obsessing about food, is definately not easy....

Now, obsessing about choccy and biscuits... That's different! :wink:
  • pbt150
    Sorry, I'm just a bitter ex-lightweight rower, dieting isn't easy, but if you want to make a racing weight badly enough, that should be the incentive you need to put down the fork! Good luck, it's not fun but it's worth it.
  • hopper1
    pbt150 wrote:
    Sorry, I'm just a bitter ex-lightweight rower, dieting isn't easy, but if you want to make a racing weight badly enough, that should be the incentive you need to put down the fork! Good luck, it's not fun but it's worth it.

Nothing to be sorry about, mate, this is not that serious a topic! I just hadn't seen it put as a calculation before, so thought I'd post it.
    But, having worked out what I need to lose, to achieve my goal.... Maybe I'll readjust my targets :wink:
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    phreak wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Im 5'6" and 72kg... and i dont have any spare tyre!
  • lowe
    lowe Posts: 61
    As an aside in case anyone reading this wasn't aware, while 10% body fat would be fine for a man, it would be dangerously low for most women. Periods can stop a few percent above this I believe. We need our fat :)