Aldi Cycling Kit, Thursday 6th May.

2»

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    On this occasion you are forgiven :wink: . (Very) short black female in a blue helmet, clear protective glasses, yellow merino top and blue leggings. I'd give those Copenhagen ladies a run for their money in the style stakes :roll: :lol:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    jopari wrote:
    I'm planning to do a triathlon some time in the next year, are these suits the sort of thing most people wear? I wouldn't want to spend the earth on one as I may hate it and never do a tri again, but interested to know if a sleeveless suite is suitable for UK summer triathlons?

I'll tell you at the end of the month.

Considering I'm commuting in bib shorts and ss jersey I don't think a trisuit will be much different. main different with a trisuit (or at least the one I have for a half olympic) is the lack of padding.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Picked up a couple of tops and yes tight around the bottom but ok everywhere else, some gloves, socks, soft shell and one of the ultra light jackets for those days i could get caught out.

zips seem much better than lidl stuff, tops just for commuting so dont wreck my good ones so will do the job me thinks

loads of stuff in birmingham ones
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    PIcked up the gloves. I mean £2.99, that's ridiculous! They're great.

Also got the micro rain jacket in the pouch. Yellow is advertised but the white is lovely. To think I was about to shell out £50 on a Montane or something. It's great!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Zombie_donkey
    Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
    Got 2 jerseys, a pair of padded shorts (seem very good), gloves, saddle bag with tool kit and a yellow rain pouch thingy.

Lots of stock at lunchtime at my local. I'm a fat bar-steward but the jerseys don't make me look like the only gay in the village so I'm happy :lol:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    OK, +47 on the wierd shape of the jerseys. I'd just been beaten to the last medium but the smalls would have been OK perhaps apart from the bonkers tight bottom.

May try another shop to see if they have mediums. Might also go back for a soft shell but they aren't as good as the ones from last time.

What I did get were the gloves (odd sizing - I bought large, I have slim fingers, couldn't extract them from the mediums!), the compression base layer (fine - took me ages to find the single one they had in small though amongst the thousands of other sizes.......) and the lightweight rain jacket; fortunately available in white as well as yellow! That seems OK too.

Some good stuff for not much more than £20
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Zombie_donkey
    Oh I meant I got the soft shell jackets rather than the Jerseys. Didn't see any Jerseys.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • My pal has got me a shirt and the soft shell jacket ... just got to wait until October to discover if it's OK - I'm in NZ and no Aldi here, or lidls :-(
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    I got the soft shell jacket. Used it this morning and its just the job :D I wanted a jersey but there was only one small one left :(
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Got the pack away jacket, in white (courtesy of a mate who got me the last XL). Looks ideal for stuffing into the pannier or backpack for when caught short.

Gonna pop down in a bit see what's left.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    going to go back for the packaway jacket. I got a softshell jacket and the elbows are oddly tight compared even to the rest of the arms
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    It never amazes me just how popular the Lidl and Aldi bike gear is, im always there within 10mins of the shops opening and you i have to fight my way tot he stuff............anyway i got myself a jersey ( blue and white one), a red softshell Jacket and some gloves. The gloves seem far better than the Lidl ones i got last month but the Jersey and Jacket are great. I wore the Jacket yesteday and it really held the chill at bay. As for the sizing i got large in both and i thought it was just me with them being loose at the top and tight at the bottom and i probably could have got away with medium ( if it hadnt been for the sizing at the bottom of them)

One thing i did find (im keen to hear your views on this) was a walking jacket whch i almost bought as it was almost identical to bike softshell jacket except it was thicker - i thought it would have been ideal for those cold winter mornings / days. Obvoiusly it didnt have the pockets or the bike fit - it was a better fit too !
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    pete54 wrote:
    I was in the Old Kent Road Aldi early this morning where a chap was trying on the jersey and he'd just found out the same thing - really tight at the bottom (and not that long) but very baggy around the armpits. I suggested he try out a larger size - for length and tightness - and then do some serious weight training for the shoulders.

Yes, that was me - hello again. Unfortunately, weight training doesn't help you get up the hills! Think I'll stick to my (60kg) skinny frame.

Hope you like the sunglasses.

Hi there, Pete. It's a small world when there's a cycling offer, isn't it! (I first bumped into Pete at a LiDL offer, probably in Bermondsey.) Maybe we'll meet again if there's a summer cycling offer....

But there was no sign of Cafewanda when I was there. The only woman rummaging around the jackets that I saw was a tall white woman. Maybe you arrived while I was wandering around the Nürnberger sausages part of the store.

The sunglasses seem fine and the case fits into a side compartment on my backpack. But I tend not to wear glasses when there's few insects about and when there's no glaring sun.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Would it be worth me going to look today or will it all be gone now?
  • roundthebend
    roundthebend Posts: 205
    dugliss wrote:
    Would it be worth me going to look today or will it all be gone now?

You won't know 'til you try.
    I have 2 Aldi stores near me and they quite often have stock left 3 or 4 days later.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Ok thanks, I`ll wander up and have a look
  • has anyone been to the Tottenham store? they normally have stuff left the evening of the start day - I might drop in on the way home.....
  • mattrsa
    mattrsa Posts: 143
    bought the soft shell jacket y day, seems to fit well, not given it a go yet, might have a go this w end
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
    Fun - Specialized Rockhopper
  • Zombie_donkey
    It rained a tiny bit when I had the soft shell jacket on today. The rain just beaded off it.

Fantastic!
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • andy83
    soft shell great today, may go and try get another one
  • Well, after having decided that there wasn't really anything I wanted*, I went in to Aldi today to pick up some other things. Walked out with a soft-shell jacket, a pair of gloves and three water bottles. :roll:

The reason I hadn't wanted the soft-shell is that the one I bought in the Autumn looked similar and did me very well over the winter. It's still looking great, but too warm for me at the moment. The actual soft-shell jackets this time are way thinner, with large mesh panels in the back for ventilation. I can see myself wearing it a lot too.

The gloves are a bit odd, now I have them home. I tried the medium and couldn't get my hand even nearly into them, bought the large and they're massive!

Water bottles are to be attached to the kid's beds for nighttime drinks of water.

Excellent stuff as usual, Mr. Aldi.

* One day that might even be true.
  • andy83
    soft shell was great in the rain today. very very pleased with it, and jerseys will do fine for commute when it warms up again, so maybe will stay with the tags on lol
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Popped along today and managed to get a couple of pairs of shorts, some gloves and some glasses.

Loads of socks, and quite a few jackets left - but I really can't convince myself that I need more of either :)