UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    edited April 2010
    I'm second in line. Back off!!!! :twisted: :lol:

Reminder set in phone for a pre-work shop

Edit: My 'local' opens at 9am. Ridiculous when Lidl are open from 7am :( . Oh well, a late start won't hurt this time 8)
  • Cafewanda wrote:

Now if I could just get ahead of the old bloke with the tartan trolley before he whacks me with his walking stick...
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda wrote:

Now if I could just get ahead of the old bloke with the tartan trolley before he whacks me with his walking stick...

Will never happen :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Might bob in for one of the ultralight jackets........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

I got one last year. It's been out of my bag about 10 times when it's really foggy or lashing it down. I do get pretty warm in it and the sleeves tend to stick to my forearms after a bit - not massively breathable.

That said, it's so small when packed up that it's been in my bag all this time in case I've needed it.
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    I shall be using my ultralight jacket bought last year tonight...
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

I got one last year. It's been out of my bag about 10 times when it's really foggy or lashing it down. I do get pretty warm in it and the sleeves tend to stick to my forearms after a bit - not massively breathable.

That said, it's so small when packed up that it's been in my bag all this time in case I've needed it.

That's what I'd expect. I'll probably get a posh one at some point but I just want something light that will give me some insulation if, like last weekend, I get hit by a torrential thunderstorm on an otherwise warm day.

Prolly pick up another soft shell and some jerseys for the commute as well.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    The guy advertising the black cycling shorts, has got a...Dick shaped like a Pyramid !

That is all.

Message ends.
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    I got a track pump last year, its still going strong, well worth a fiver.(watch it snap in about 3 weeks time when there are none left....) :cry: But I might get another one to keep at work and as a spare! :D Yay!
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Noooo that's the day Mother and I travel down to London :evil:

Looks like Father will be popping down to Aldi on his day off (whether he intended to or not).
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Not worth the wait in a massive queue for the ONE person manning the checkout.

Nothing worth having . :?

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I need the underwear!
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I got some glasses last time, they are great for the money. Worth stocking up on.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Splottboy wrote:
    The guy advertising the black cycling shorts, has got a...Dick shaped like a Pyramid !

That is all.

Message ends.

I was more interested in the Triathlon suit!

Don't get the locks - my son lost the key to his, Parktool cable cutters went through them like a warm knife through butter!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Note the date - its all a distraction to take our minds off the election :wink:
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    just checked and im off work :)

extended imaginary commute and pop into aldi, scary thing is the lbs i could spend a fortune is not far from aldi, must resist going in there

Prob get some socks and the tops will do for commute
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Oooooh the tri-suit looks good and the socks are orange! Yay! I wonder if my (provincial) Aldi will have it...
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    I wouldn't recommend the track pump.
    I got one and found the head is difficult to use and doesn't hold high pressure very well

Spend a bit extra and get the cheapest Edinburgh Revolution track pump. (got mine when they were on sale for just over a tenner).
    These are easy to use and when the valve breaks Revolution do new ones for a couple of quid
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Nooooo why why why when I am out of the country, prob only go for a couple of the tops for commuting so I don't wreck my nicer ones
  • Cafewanda
    So I headed over to my 'local' Aldi (Old Kent Road) and bought:
      Ladies cycling underwear, one of each design/style - hmm, not sure about them as the padding looks/feels thinner than certain *ahem*female products *ahem*. Glasses - looks good and I like the fact it comes with 2 other lenses Socks and Gloves - the 'small' looks suitable for a very young child - what can I say, I have small hands :lol:

The tri suit and compression underwear looked ok but not what I need. There were 'proper' lycra padded shorts on display for about £9 (I think). Didn't look at anything else.
  • Cafewanda
    AndyManc wrote:
    Not worth the wait in a massive queue for the ONE person manning the checkout..

Massive queue with one person manning the checkout - yep :x
  • jopari
    jopari Posts: 84
    I'm planning to do a triathlon some time in the next year, are these suits the sort of thing most people wear? I wouldn't want to spend the earth on one as I may hate it and never do a tri again, but interested to know if a sleeveless suite is suitable for UK summer triathlons?
    Cannondale R800 - Dry
    Kona Honky Tonk - Wet
    '96 GT Outpost - Kids on back
    Genesis Core 120 - Mud
    Raleigh Pro Race - Shop
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    AndyManc wrote:
    Nothing worth having

Have to agree. The jerseys are really tight across the bottom and baggy on top (at least on me) and the less said about the shorts the better. IMHO the Lidl stuff is better.

Picked up a pack of parmesan, which seemed good value, but put it down when I saw the checkout queue.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Grabbed myself 2 pairs of shorts, one jersey (the hidious blue one as that was the only size small left) 1 pair of underwear and 1 pair of gloves.

All i need now are some decent 3/4 baggies and decent bibs and im fully equiped for spring/summer :D but this lot should mean my best stuff only conmes out for events.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • rolf_f
    pete54 wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:
    Nothing worth having

Have to agree. The jerseys are really tight across the bottom and baggy on top (at least on me) and the less said about the shorts the better. IMHO the Lidl stuff is better.

Crap zips on Lidl.......
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    pete54 wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:
    Nothing worth having

Picked up a pack of parmesan, which seemed good value, but put it down when I saw the checkout queue.

I was in the Old Kent Road Aldi early this morning where a chap was trying on the jersey and he'd just found out the same thing - really tight at the bottom (and not that long) but very baggy around the armpits. I suggested he try out a larger size - for length and tightness - and then do some serious weight training for the shoulders.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    The softshell jacket is good, but the sleeves are short :( Nevermind, still a bargain as are the gloves and glasses. Hope the gloves last as well as the ones I bought last year and are still going strong :D

Stock levels were low mid-morning, so dig-in whilst you can.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • pete54
    I was in the Old Kent Road Aldi early this morning where a chap was trying on the jersey and he'd just found out the same thing - really tight at the bottom (and not that long) but very baggy around the armpits. I suggested he try out a larger size - for length and tightness - and then do some serious weight training for the shoulders.

Yes, that was me - hello again. Unfortunately, weight training doesn't help you get up the hills! Think I'll stick to my (60kg) skinny frame.

Hope you like the sunglasses.
  • Cafewanda
    Pete54 and DepfordM you were in the OKR store at around 9.10/15 this morning :?:

If you were, I am hurt neither of you said 'hello', and to the guy who tried to help me find a pair of gloves in a small, I did find a pair and thank you :)
  • pete54
    edited May 2010
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Pete54 and DepfordM you were in the OKR store at around 9.10/15 this morning
    Yes.
    Cafewanda wrote:
    I am hurt neither of you said 'hello'
    I don't know what you look like, unfortunately. There were quite a few people rummaging through the merchandise.
    Cafewanda wrote:
    to the guy who tried to help me find a pair of gloves in a small
    Not me.