Metabolic profile

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
There are plenty of GPs that understand the metabolic requirements and abnormalities of the 'average' person, but none that I have access to for anyone remotely resembling an athlete (remotely being a loos term in my case); and I also know coaches / sport scientists that have a limited knowledge of the process at a cellular / molecular level.

Where / what / who is the best place to go to discuss abnormailties in your metabolic pathways or processes and what impact they have on your exercise performance and potential. I'm talking about blood lipid profiles, insulin / glucagon levels, effects of certain prescription drugs etc, not a general whether I should eat 3 pieces of fish and only drink soya milk kind of advice (though that of course might be one of the conclusions!). My albeit limited experience of nhs dieticians isn't great - my son has type 1 diabetes, and their advice was pretty general, even though I wanted to talk about glycaemic loading and therefore wanted something a bit more sophisticated.

Comments