Anyone up for a longish social ride? - BH Monday 8am CP Park

2»

Comments

• Cystal Palace is perfect for me. Will have to hold it down to make it there for 8am on my day off though, but totally agree early is the way to go.....
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I've dug out the route I was planning on doing (here), which comes in at just over 70 miles. Was thinking of hanging a right after 30 miles to take in Yorks Hill, but am also happy to do a couple more laps of Crystal Palace to bump up the mileage.

Go on, Shoulder of Lamb. The more the merrier.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Looking good! Guess I just have to make sure I have a monster portion of pasta on Sunday evening now :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • ketsbaia
    Any more takers?

Rain looks like it's finished for the weekend, but it might be a bit parky.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Metcheck says wind and plenty of it! I'll bring the windproof jacket along which should make me nice and easy to spot as it's high-vis :-D

Bike should be running sweet now as it's been treated to some much needed TLC today in the form of new chain, cassette and tyres! Might need to tweak the indexing but it seemed OK on the brief ride round the block I had earlier.......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • guys have a good one - I can't make it as I have to freaking work!! GAH!!!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Well that was failry enjoyable!

Asides from the schizophrenic weather that couldn't decide if it was spring, summer, autumn or winter which saw us going from nice and sunny to pi$$ing down with rain and back to sunny again every 20-30 minutes :-)

I think the only part of the weather reports that was accurate was the northernly wind which we certainly felt all the way back from Westerham to Crystal Palace.

The ride was a bit shorter then anticipated due to me running over a rather large rock on the descent of Toys Hill resulting in a rather nice blow-out on my poor rear wheel. That in itself wasn't a huge issue but after swapping the tube over my bike now made a nice rattling noise :-( Stopping a bit further down the hill I found I now have 2 loose spokes on the rear so it was decided to head back towards home.

I didn't want any big descents (something I need to practice I found today!!) so we tackled Ide Hill (very nice!) and then Westerham Hill which was just slightly evil yet still a good workout!

we eventually got back to Crystal Palace after being buiffeted pretty much none-stop with about 50 miles in the legs!

Puncture and weather aside an excellent mornings riding and it now looks certain that Evans Woking will be getting thier greasy mitts on my rear wheel :-(

Thanks for being such a good route guide and rather patient ketsbaia!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I am just about to do part of that ride into keston....but the weather is putting me off...one minute sunny, the next hailstones...
  • ketsbaia
    That about sums it up. Come hail, rain or shine as the cliché goes... and come it did.

Good to have you along Mr BJUK. Shame about the rock incident curtailing our loop, but I reckon those 50 miles we covered must have been the equivalent of at least 60 given the conditions. I swear I've never had to work so hard coming down hill. :lol:

As I need the mileage in the legs, I went and did 10 reps of College Road, then went back over Denmark Hill and Dog Kennel Hill for good measure. Just over 75 miles in 3 hours 55 minutes, which I'm pretty pleased with.
  • moonio
    I only managed 19 miles...I need to extend my route..
  • ketsbaia
    I'm doing the same again next week, probably upping the distance to 85-90 miles, if anyone fancies tagging along.

Will be praying for more clement weather all week.
  • moonio
    that would kill me..
    I'm aiming for 25 miles so might extend the route to Cudham..eventually...those hills...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    ketsbaia wrote:
    I swear I've never had to work so hard coming down hill. :lol:

Indeed! Once we got to the top of Westerham Hill and started heading past Biggin Hill airport it just got silly! Those few riders we saw heading the opposite direction on our return leg had the right idea!

I also think that twunt in the taxi deserves a special mention, I swear he missed your shoulder by about an inch! Shame the lights at the cross-road didn't change 30 seconds earlier :evil:

85-90 miles does sound tempting and would certainly be a nice mid-distance to try and complete in the next 6 weeks before I tackle the BIG ONE :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5