Anyone up for a longish social ride? - BH Monday 8am CP Park

Bassjunkieuk
Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
**UPDATE FOR PROVISIONAL TIMING**

A time of 8am on the BH Monday has been mooted for this now :-)
Meet at St Germain's Cafe in Crystal Palace for a nice ride around some of south London & Kent's Hills :-D

Seeing as the weather is picking up and I'm rapidly approaching D-Day for my crack at a century I've realized my training is some what lacking!

I was hoping to get a ride in of at least 75-80 miles in before the day and quite frankly don't fancy lapping Richmond Park for 3-4 hours (I love the place but still there's only so many laps you can do!) or getting lost in the lovely countryside of Southeast London as I try to remember a huge route......

I'm not planning on blasting around and have realized it's easier for me to pace myself if I have someone else to ride with so I'm open for any suggestions or offerings of a ride buddy (or 2!)

Don't mind where the meet-up point is really, hopefully somewhere in South London (ideally) and heads out for the nice roads in the south :-)

This plan might change if the wife has been really nice and brought be a Garmin705 whilst I've been away but I don't think that's gonna happen!
Who's the daddy?
Twitter, Videos & Blog
Player of THE GAME
Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Could be a bit cheaky, but have you considered joining a local cycling club for a weekend club run? They usually let people join them a couple of timed before asking that you officially join.

You might find one doing that kind of distance.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Asprilla wrote:
    Could be a bit cheaky, but have you considered joining a local cycling club for a weekend club run? They usually let people join them a couple of timed before asking that you officially join.

I have suggested this with the wife but due to family commitments I rarely get the chance to go out for an entire day, but I might like into it again. Dulwich Paragon is probably gonna be closest for me...
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • The Sky Rides start this weekend. The only strong ride is the Essex Ramble 23 miles. But by the time you get to Seven Kings and back you will have done your 80 miles.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Kingston Wheelers regularly do a 60-80 mile Sunday ride too
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Hey Bass - I would be up for this.
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I could be up for something, but you're in the wrong part of London :p
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    The Sky Rides start this weekend. The only strong ride is the Essex Ramble 23 miles. But by the time you get to Seven Kings and back you will have done your 80 miles.

Cheers for that. Just signed up for one at the end of May :) NOT the Essex one.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Asprilla wrote:

I have suggested this with the wife but due to family commitments I rarely get the chance to go out for an entire day, but I might like into it again. Dulwich Paragon is probably gonna be closest for me...

London Phoenix may be worth a look, they do fairly regular runs out arround Kent from south London, plus the odd run to Brighton and back. They're no strangers to silly amounts of mileage.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Addiscombe cycle club isn't that far from you either

do you have any dates in mind?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Come and join me on the ECCA festival 200k randonnee this Monday at High Easter.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'm in depending on date and start point, I'm in SE London so would prefer not to be starting way over at Richmond Park. I'm not very good at route planning either... :(
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    I know this is a bit short notice but I'm hoping to get out at some point over the BH weekend.
    My thinking of route is heading out from Croydon towards Bromley then down the A232 towards Farnborough before heading south down the A233 towards BIggin Hill (a route suggested by Clever Pun with promises of big speed!)

Gonna need to find a loop or extend it a bit tho as I'm hoping for a minimum 75 miles.

I suspect I'll need to set out pretty early on the Sunday or possibly Monday and will gladly except any company :-) Will post an update after negotiations are completed with Mrs BJUK ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I know this is a bit short notice but I'm hoping to get out at some point over the BH weekend.
    My thinking of route is heading out from Croydon towards Bromley then down the A232 towards Farnborough before heading south down the A233 towards BIggin Hill (a route suggested by Clever Pun with promises of big speed!)

Gonna need to find a loop or extend it a bit tho as I'm hoping for a minimum 75 miles.

I suspect I'll need to set out pretty early on the Sunday or possibly Monday and will gladly except any company :-) Will post an update after negotiations are completed with Mrs BJUK ;-)

Oh, that's me out. Can't do this weekend... Am pretty free other weekends though
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736

Oh, that's me out. Can't do this weekend... Am pretty free other weekends though

Yup, same here. Saturday morning (well, from midnight!)- on the bike, London-Southend. Sunday- on the bike, round the IOW. Monday- will be on the bike, possibly...!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I'm planning on doing an extended version of this at some point this long weekend, probably on Monday. You're welcome to join me at any stage.

I too am trying to have a crack at the century some time soon and need to get the mileage in quick smart.

E2a: In fact, I've already mapped out a 75-mile route in that general area, but the link is at home. Will post up later.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm getting the Madone out for the first time this year. Not sure which way to go at the moment though. I may head out towards the Vale of Belvoir until I get tired then turn back :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Bassjunkieuk
    ketsbaia wrote:
    I'm planning on doing an extended version of this at some point this long weekend, probably on Monday. You're welcome to join me at any stage.

I too am trying to have a crack at the century some time soon and need to get the mileage in quick smart.

E2a: In fact, I've already mapped out a 75-mile route in that general area, but the link is at home. Will post up later.

That certainly looks interesting :-) In theory I could meet up quiet easily near Crystal Palace park, the route looks rather similar to the Kent Hills route we did for the rather damp social ride in February this year :-) Ide Hill certainly rings a bell and I'm sure Toy's Hill is a nasty little stinger (on the HOTA?) so it looks ideal!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • ketsbaia
    Yeah, I basically nicked some of the HOTA route to form that little loop. I found Titsey Hill more challenging than Toys Hill, though. The 75-miler takes in Toys Hill, Yorks Hill, Titsey Hill and, as a final lung-buster, Westerham Hill. Then just when you're practically finished, there's a quick scoot up South Norwood Hill, a circuit of Crystal Palace and a short, sharp drag up Anerley Hill.

Can meet you at the Cafe St Germain if you like. Let me know and I'll PM my mobile number.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Yeah, I basically nicked some of the HOTA route to form that little loop. I found Titsey Hill more challenging than Toys Hill, though. The 75-miler takes in Toys Hill, Yorks Hill, Titsey Hill and, as a final lung-buster, Westerham Hill. Then just when you're practically finished, there's a quick scoot up South Norwood Hill, a circuit of Crystal Palace and a short, sharp drag up Anerley Hill.

Can meet you at the Cafe St Germain if you like. Let me know and I'll PM my mobile number.

Titsey Hill is good fun, last time I tried coming up they where re-surfacing so I spent the lower section being pinged by little stones then had to try and clip back in on by the grass verge at the bottom of the main hill as that's where the temp lights where :-)

I tried coming down it once but the road surface was making the bike vibrate hideously! I reluctantly pulled over and decided to ride up Whites Lane.....

I'd love to have a crack at the hills tho as looking at the Magnificat course overview we have a few climbs to contend with, one being @ 115 miles :cry:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • ketsbaia
    Yeah, I quite liked Titsey Hill, despite thinking: "Oh fcuk," when I saw the 1 mile 16% road sign. Managed to get up it in 34/25 and that was my last climb of the day (Anerley Hill excepted).

What's this Magnificat of which you speak?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Yeah, I quite liked Titsey Hill, despite thinking: "Oh fcuk," when I saw the 1 mile 16% road sign. Managed to get up it in 34/25 and that was my last climb of the day (Anerley Hill excepted).

What's this Magnificat of which you speak?

It's this bad boy:

http://www.cyclegb.co.uk/magnificat/overview

Quite a few of the SCR regulars are signed up and I've rather bravely decided to use it as my first century (and then some!) attempt :-)

I say bravely as my previous PB for a days riding is currently about 65-68 miles (can't remember what exactly I finished on after doing the last capital to coast and riding to/from train stations....), but I obviously hope to improve on that over the next 4 days ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • ketsbaia
    Ah, is that what used to be the Highclere Castle thingy?

Only I think I'm supposed to be entering that soon in preparation for the Marmotte.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Ah, is that what used to be the Highclere Castle thingy?

Only I think I'm supposed to be entering that soon in preparation for the Marmotte.

Yep! Seems after Verenti got hold of it to sponsor it it's been renamed :-)
    Looks like it's going to be a cracking days riding!

I know a few other guys from the SCR thread are down for the Marmotte, not sure if they are doing Magnificat to, might be worth popping your head in the SCR Sportive Calendar thread to check.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I might be up for a long one on Monday.

I'm working on fitness for L'etape, which is coming round a bit scarily quickly and they say this year it is almost as challenging as Marmotte, with three monster climbs.

GULP.
  • ketsbaia
    Signed up for Magnificat.

Now to get some training in.

Monday, 8am at the Cafe St Germain, Crystal Palace anyone?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I might be up for a long one on Monday.

I'm working on fitness for L'etape, which is coming round a bit scarily quickly and they say this year it is almost as challenging as Marmotte, with three monster climbs.

GULP.
    Noice.
    http://www.letapedutour.com/2010/ETDT/p ... rcours.htm
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,413
    There's a small chance of me heading out towards Dorking on Monday, but all a bit dependent on the little one who has decided against sleeping in any sort of organised manner again. Might bump into you if you swing round that way, but maybe too far west.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

GULP.

Enjoy the Tourmalet!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Signed up for Magnificat.

Now to get some training in.

Monday, 8am at the Cafe St Germain, Crystal Palace anyone?

That sounds rather feasible to me! Prefer early starts as I get less hassle :-)
    UPDATE:

Put provisional time and meet up place on original post :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    JonGinge wrote:

GULP.
    Noice.
    http://www.letapedutour.com/2010/ETDT/p ... rcours.htm

Hmm, because Marmotte looks so easy, although this seems like an ideal weekend away from a mountain goat **cough** JG **cough**

http://www.sportingtours.co.uk/events/marmotte.html
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5