How far, fast, fit and frequency in the beginning and now?

miurasv
miurasv Posts: 345
How far, at what pace and frequency did you ride when you took up cycling? What distance and pace are you doing now and how long did it take for you to make the increases in speed, distance and frequency? I'm interested to know how people have progressed and how long that progression took and also what increases in fitness or weight loss you've achieved and how long it took? My apologies if this is a strange and too personal a question to ask but I would really like to know and thank you in advance for any replies.

Comments

• teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    My first ride was about 3 years ago and it was around 3miles and my legs felt like jelly and i could hardly walk after it. I tried to get out initially about 2 - 3 times a week.

Now i ride about 5 times per week and go anywhere between 30 and 60miles. I usually ride at an averager of 16-17mph. I would say ive lost about 2stone in weight so far and am still gradually losing it now ( current weight 13 st 10.)

I found that i progressed to initially 20miles per ride quite quickly within a few months or so of starting.

Really it doesnt matter how long it takes you to reach a set distance or lose a set amount of weight as long as you enjoy yourself, you will find as you enjoy yourself more you will want to ride more..........
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    My first bike ride was like 3.5 miles, I did this like 10 times some days and try to break the PB round it.

I remember when I did 12 miles, I was sooo amazed I thought wow.

Shortly after it was 25 miles, then I started commuting to college, that was 11 miles there and 15 back, 3-4 days a week. I then joined a local club and my first club run was 72 miles, second club run was around 114 miles, then it just went up and down in those ranges, within a couple of months my longest ride was 160 miles and regular over 100 miles when I go home. Now I'm doing around 60 miles minimum.
  • Variado
    Variado Posts: 107
    Now i ride about 5 times per week and go anywhere between 30 and 60miles. I usually ride at an averager of 16-17mph ... I found that i progressed to initially 20miles per ride quite quickly within a few months or so of starting.

Very similar to my experience. I started riding sometime around 2005 after becoming aware that most people at work couldn't climb a flight of stairs without panting, and after the initial struggle for a few rides found it quite easy to get to 20 miles, 3-5 times a week (I remember being well pleased at managing a "hundred mile week" in 2006, followed by three in a row later that summer). Apart from the occasional longer ride I didn't go much beyond that for a couple of years (partially due to the arrival of kids and being knackered!) but found the transition from regular 20s to 30+ miles a ride much harder than the initial 0-20. Now do rides of 25-40 miles 4 or 5 times a week along with assorted sportives (don't race, tried TTs but don't enjoy them), a two-hour 35-miler is fairly routine.

I was never very heavy so haven't lost much weight (i'm 5' 10", dropped from maybe 155lbs when I started to 146lbs at the moment) but fitness has improved massively, best ever this year thanks to finally managing some decent winter miles. I would probably improve more this year if I had targets and focused getting there, at the moment it's just a case of "get out and ride" for the enjoyment of it.
  • I started last june, Im 5ft 7 and I was 168pounds now I'm 144pounds.

When I first started I could barely cycle 6 miles, I've only done 830miles since then but I've improved my average from 13mph to 16mph and I'm now doing between 4-5 20-30mile rides a week whereas last year I was only doing say 30miles a week.
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    I started in Jan last year, struggled to do 3 miles as well, and had a steady diet of 3 rides per week and progressed to riding to a max of 80 miles in September.

I still remember completing my first goal which was to ride to my mums and back, a 30 mile round trip, I was so happy :D

Average had gone from 10mph to 17mph by September at my peak for last year, but that was only over 30 miles. Then I got a bit lazy over winter and this year I got a training plan together, bought myself a garmin edge and a turbo and increased my workouts to 4 times a week as I wanted to make some good gains this year only to go and get a cold in Jan that I still have today, but I managed a 40 mile ride a week ago at an average of 14.5mph :(
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    I started last September,low on money so i managed to buy a racer on ebay second hand and off i went,distance was about 3-4 miles to start with at a speed of 12-14 mph sometimes twice a day,which i found was enough even on the flat but i loved it and enthusiasm works wonders,i was going out about 3-4 times a week.I'm 5' 9" and my starting weight was 11 stone 4 (about 160 lbs).The bad winter slowed me down alot but i still got out when i could and even on the mtb if it was too icy with snow,turbo helped a bit as well.Alot of it is knowing about balance and recovery,i have learnt lot's so far and there is more to come.

Now i manage to get out about 4-5 times a week,distance is between 20 and 30 miles,i have been trying to average about 85-120 miles a week,speed did slow down for a bit with all this wind of late and as distance increased,i try to sit at about 14-16 mph now over 20-25 miles.My fitness has increased alot,I'm still 5' 9" but my weight has increased to 12 stone (about 168 lbs).That bit is a little odd.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Then.........1981-ish (sorry, too old to remember last week with any accuracy)
    - Prob once a month max
    - 5-10 miles were a big challenge
    - Av speed - 2 clicks per second (fork mounted "cycling odometer")

odometer.JPG

Now.........
    - normally 6x /week
    - longest ride so far this year = 112.6miles (Flanders sportif)
    - av speed for April (incl turbo sessions, the odd MTB ride and road races) = 17.9mph
  • Robbie1958
    Robbie1958 Posts: 148
    I have been riding a cheap hybrid for the last couple of years. Going out with the wife most nights in the summer doing a gentle ride around town of about 5 miles. when we first started it was taking us about 40 minutes (i have to admit to having jelly legs to start with).

Two years ago i packed in the fags after somoking all my life and piled on around five stone. So last March i joined the local gym and now after having lost the five stone i gained i am looking at losing the last stone or so i need to be at an ideal weight. I have usually been doing around 14-20 kilometres on the gym cycle per day, in readiness for buying a decent bike and getting out on the roads.

Well i bought myself a Colnago on Sunday and did my first serious ride this morning. It went as follows:

Distance 22.5 miles
    Time 1.22 hours (i got lost twice so would have been around eight minutes shorter)
    Average speed 16.27 miles per hour

I can't wait to shave some off this and my fifty fifty is certainly now more than just a dream.

Robbie
    Colnago..............The name on the worlds finest bikes
  • ives.
    ives. Posts: 62
    When I started riding about 4 years ago, I could just about average 13mph for an hour.
    Now I can do about 18 mph. Maybe a bit more on a good day.
  • cotti
    cotti Posts: 96
    Ive only been riding for 4-5 weeks but Im a Postman so I guess I could of described myself as fitish...

I started doing 10 mile rides 2-3 times a week (the weather was crappy around the time I got my bike, I progressed to keeping that up but doing 30 milers on Sundays but Im off work this week so I have done the 30 miler yesterday and today and Im pretty chuffed with that especially as I pushed my average up to 15.6mph today.

Im wondering what sort of average mph I would need to join a club as Im getting lonley out on the road alone :(
  • KarynPebs
    KarynPebs Posts: 13
    First post!

I'm right at the beginning so my speed/distance/weight is a work in progress. I can manage a 10 mile ride reasonably easily in about 45 minutes (the shame!!), hills kill me, I'm 5'6, 34 and I weigh just over 12st. I'm looking at fitness rather than weightloss although I'd imagine the two will go hand in hand to some extent.

Long way to go. I've just signed up for some organised rides to give me something to aim for :)
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Started 3years ago, could average 20mph for 10miles on my steel hack at a push. Max ride 30miles I think? Didn't do much riding in year 1. Year 2, got a decent bike, but riding was piecemeal really. Longest ride was just under 70miles and I did a 24:19 10mile TT at the end of the year on clip ons. Year 3 (this year), happy riding any distance and have done a 56:37 25mile tt (with 1:30 out for a crash...) and a 22:35 10mile TT.

Weight wise, up 3kgs ish at 75.5kgs (194cm).

Progression didn't take long once I actually started training properly...
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    Started cycling 6 months ago. Got a 'racer' through the CTW scheme and have slowly but surely got the cycling bug.

My general fitness was OK when I started and I was probably averaging around 14 - 15mph. Hills (or any gradient) killed me though.

Last week I managed a 20 mile effort at 18.6mph - includes a couple of nasty hills too.

I've got a nice 18 mile circuit I can do of a lunchtime from work so trying to do this 2-3 times a week. No cycling at the weekend as a rule as I like to spend time with my patient wife and young children - though I sometimes do a turbo session when they are in bed (the children!!).

I've managed to lose some weight over the past 6 months - from circa 85kg's down to around 75kg's. 6 ft tall exactly. 70-72kg's is my target weight based on the crude calc of 1kg per inch of height. 39 years old and probably as fit as I've ever been.

Hills are getting much easier and after going out with a mate at the weekend, I've got plenty of things to work on to help me increase speed. I'm the kind of person who likes a challenge so working to increase speed is right up my street.

I'm also doing some training for the 3 peak challenge (walking) in late June so no lack of general exercising.
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    KarynPebs wrote:
    First post!

I'm right at the beginning so my speed/distance/weight is a work in progress. I can manage a 10 mile ride reasonably easily in about 45 minutes (the shame!!), hills kill me, I'm 5'6, 34 and I weigh just over 12st. I'm looking at fitness rather than weightloss although I'd imagine the two will go hand in hand to some extent.

Long way to go. I've just signed up for some organised rides to give me something to aim for :)

For someone just starting, 13 1/3 mph isn't bad at all - be proud. As the fitness gets better the cycling will get easier and faster and if the weight comes down it'll get easier still. Don't forget - muscle is denser therefore heavier than fat so you may look fitter but not be much lighter. Go for it and enjoy!
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    I'm 47, 5 10 and about 75kg when I started doing a bit of mountain biking 2 years ago. Started road biking July last year and was doing 20 mile rides at around 17.5 mph. Used to log all my mileage to begin with as well.
    Now about 72 kg and ride anything from 10 to 100 miles. Don't log mileage any more and get less concerned about average speed. Some rides will be steady and probably about 18 mph. Others will be chaingangs where we are averaging 25-26 mph. Normally with warm up and warm down it works out at 45 miles 22 mph. Think along more about quality of rides and try to make sure I allow time for recovery.

Was riding 2 times a week at the beginning and that moved up to 3-4 times. Now 5-6 times a week. Sometimes get carried away and ride more often but always pay for that in the end
  • fastercyclist
    fastercyclist Posts: 396
    I got my road bike in August. Before that I did 3 weeks of cycling on an old mountain bike up a hill. First attempt I had to stop 8 times on the way up. By the time I got my bike I could go up and down it 3 times without stopping.

Solo my fastest average is 20mph on an undulating hilly route (out there and back). A more normal speed is around 18mph but I find significant variation. I've done 1500 miles since August, although I did absolutely 0 miles through November and December so my "base" is largely non-existent. Longest ride is 100 miles at 16 mph average. Normal ride is 50-60 miles now.

Went from weighing 83kg to 70kg at 5 11". Put 2kg back on recently though. :roll:

Did a race at Ilton last night and did the 24mph average without any trouble. Tried a few attacks as well, which didn't stick but nevermind. :lol: My fault really, haven;'t cycled for about a week.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • daveydave43
    daveydave43 Posts: 200
    started taking up road biking about a year and a half ago.
    avg speed from commuting to college around 14mph.

joined a club three months later

am now doing 170- 180 mile weekends. avg speed 18-19mph.
    have lost 1 kg from a already svelt 63 - legs have gotten faster for longer no end.
    go out for night traing rides of 30 miles 3 times in the workweek.

loving cycling better than ever, especially the climbing.
    bank balance is at an all time low. :)
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • robert-sb
    robert-sb Posts: 118
    I've been messing around on and off for a number of years but can't really remember speed when I started. Started commuting regularly last autumn 2 or 3 times per week 15 miles each way. Initially it was taking me an hour to get home, have now got that down to 50 mins and have done it once a week ago in just under 50 mins averaging 19mph with my rucksack on.

I'm now looking to do a 10 mile TT and get riding with a group as I would love to have a go at a race somewhere like Ilton.
  • frances27
    frances27 Posts: 3
    I've been riding for about two years, really started just to get fitter. I try to go out at least three times a week, mostly on my own but sometimes with other half. I try to ride at about 15mph, not very good I know. Have done a few long rides, London to Southend etc and did the Essex Countryside Ride on 3 May in all that bad weather, but enjoyed it. Now got a road bike proper, and going to concentrate on doing my usual route much faster! I dont think I'm bad for someone with a 5 in their age!

Not lost a great deal of weight, but certainly am a lot smaller than when I started and a lot fitter. Now need to find longer routes.
    Specialized Dolce Sport 27
  • I took up cycling 4 weeks ago, I'm 45 5'9", weighed 16 stone (beer belly), ex smoker and had a heart attack a couple of years ago.

My first ride was one lap offroad round a local park (5km), I was exhausted afterwards but every other night did the same and after 2 weeks I was doing two laps every other night. I noticed in the first few weeks my recovery time shortening which I assume was a good indication of improving fitness. Last Monday evening I did 12km round the local country lanes on road and didn't manage too bad, I'm about to try a 20km route tomorrow evening on the local roads.

So far I've lost 8 pounds and that's with no diet changes, I have a lot more energy, sleep better and no longer use the lift at work.
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    I got my road bike in August. Before that I did 3 weeks of cycling on an old mountain bike up a hill. First attempt I had to stop 8 times on the way up. By the time I got my bike I could go up and down it 3 times without stopping.

Solo my fastest average is 20mph on an undulating hilly route (out there and back). A more normal speed is around 18mph but I find significant variation. I've done 1500 miles since August, although I did absolutely 0 miles through November and December so my "base" is largely non-existent. Longest ride is 100 miles at 16 mph average. Normal ride is 50-60 miles now.

Went from weighing 83kg to 70kg at 5 11". Put 2kg back on recently though. :roll:

Did a race at Ilton last night and did the 24mph average without any trouble. Tried a few attacks as well, which didn't stick but nevermind. :lol: My fault really, haven;'t cycled for about a week.

Those are some good gains in a short amount of time!
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I only started on the weekend, but i went out and pushed myself yesterday, managed a 15 mile ride in about 45mins (Yet to buy a computer, so i can't measure my max/min speed etc) but i had the spinny head when i got off the bike at the end.

Going to get myself up to the 16 mile each way commute next week, and start that a week on tuesday. I want to be able to get to work in about 50 minutes, and back again in about 45 mins. Luckily it's flat all the way there and back again, until i get about a couple of miles from my house where it gets hilly..
  • I took up riding again last April after a 20 year layoff! I was 3 stone heavier than I am now! Drank to much and was having major panic attacks after a few family deaths including my brother and one of our best friends. Did a ride with a mate who was fit. I managed 20 miles! I felt like I was going to pass out. It took me well over 3 hours! Never again I thought.

1 year later I ride between I ride 4 times a week between 25miles to 70+miles. Average around 17mph.

I did wonders for my body and my mind. I was not in a good place mentally last year. My family and my bike have got me through a bad time in my life! :lol:

Stevie.
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    Got my first bike back in March (?). First ride was 20 miles at about 15 - 16 mph. Still riding by myself at the mo from 15 to 50 miles averaging from 16 to 19mph. Was and still am a regular gym goer before I took up riding though sqautting heavy plus I read up a bit about competitive riding. I try to get out 3 - 4 times a week.
  • tom101
    tom101 Posts: 39
    I started one month ago, have a hybrid bike and have been doing approx. 20 mile rides a few times a week which are logged here http://www.runsaturday.com/Profile/Blog/UserName/tom101

I find everyone here's average speeds incredible. I seem to average around 12MPH, and it doens't seem to be improving. How can I increase it? Will it just happen in time?
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    tom101 wrote:
    I started one month ago, have a hybrid bike and have been doing approx. 20 mile rides a few times a week which are logged here http://www.runsaturday.com/Profile/Blog/UserName/tom101

I find everyone here's average speeds incredible. I seem to average around 12MPH, and it doens't seem to be improving. How can I increase it? Will it just happen in time?

Probably will increase with time but I'm sure there are ways you could improve on it too with pedalling technique and various other things, if your position isn't right and your not comfortable on the bike that will slow you down. And it will also depend on what the roads are like your riding on and the weather conditions, I know some roads I ride on round here slow me down to about 60 - 70% of my average cos they're so bumpy and uneven.
  • smithy1.0
    smithy1.0 Posts: 439
    I got on a bike first at a young age. By age 10, I was doing up to 20 mile rides. I got into BMX after that, never rode any specific distance, just cycled about sometimes all day. By age 16 I discovered alcohol, partys and women, never touched a bike then until into my 20's - well apart from motorcycles. Decided I was unfit at age 22, so bought myself a mountain bike. Started out doing a 6mile loop, soon built up to 30mile runs, then got myself a roadie and rode up to 70milers. By that point I was racing MTB XC and doing well. Soon progressed to Elite level and started racing road. Now i'm finding road racing is my passion so concentrating on that this year at Cat 1. Still go to the local most saturday's for a few pints with the lads. Happiest when i'm on the bike 8)

Interestingly i've always been around the same weight. Obviously at my lightest when i'm putting the miles in, but never got "fat" when off the bike.