Big G Grimpeurs des Wolds (East Yorkshire)

gsk82
gsk82 Posts: 3,466
Entry has opened for the Big G on Saturday 17th July. The event is part of the East Yorkshire classic weekend and includes the national crit championship on the Friday and Premier Calendar race on the Sunday.

Was a really good event last year, the 100mile route had approx 2,700 metres (not feet as i previously stated) of climbing (but was only actually 96miles from all the measurements i've seen)

Online entries only via

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/cyclosportive/
"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago

Comments

• leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Is that 2700ft or 2700m climbing??
    Looking for a sportive to do around then, this looks a definate contender
  • copper585
    copper585 Posts: 141
    just entered thanks for that been waiting for entry to come on line. i did the first big g in 2008, missed 2009 due to being on honeymoon so glad can make this year.

well recommended ride, cracking route some hard hills, good orginisation well signposted and good foodstops and free hot meal at the end, also very good start/finish base.
  • gsk82
    leedsmjh wrote:
    Is that 2700ft or 2700m climbing??
    Looking for a sportive to do around then, this looks a definate contender

2,700 metres sorry, i've corrected the OP
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82
    event is now more than half way to the 500 limit so lloks like been full quicker than last year.
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Done this last year and resonably hard with the amount of shortish sharp climbs. recommend it!
  • craigwend
    craigwend Posts: 321
    Another entry & 'recomended' from me
    There's always www.cyclechat.co.uk
  • craigwend
    orgniser update...

Just a quick update on progress with the entries following my earlier email at the beginning of the week

Over 220 riders have entered the event already in just 5 days which is a terrific response and better than all expectations.

I also have quite a few entries to make over the next few day on behalf of the club, event sponsors of the road race and those assisting with the organisation and there are also quite a few on the system awaiting clearance of payment

The result is that over 50% of the available places are already taken and at this rate I anticipate entries will be sold out well before the closing date

Thanks to all those that have entered already

I have now listed the event on the Cyclosport.org and BC website which should ensure that the remaining entries are taken over the next few weeks

If you have not already entered and intend to do so I suggest you act quickly to avoid disappointment as we will not be able to extend the 500 rider entry limit

Yours in Sport
    Paul

Paul Kilvington
    Big G Cyclosportive 2010
    Event Organiser

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/cyclosportive/
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    Just entered the 100km route - my first Sportive. I can comfortably manage the 60 miles but feel that the full 100 mile route is beyond me at present.

Looking forward to it.

1967 Engine
  • leedsmjh
    Signed up for the 100 mile. That elevation profile looks like the teeth of a deep sea monster so this should be fun.
    Only around 100 places left ....
  • craigwend
    Also signed up for the 100 mile

one place left as of 11 this morning (9/5/10)

http://www.sportsentrysolutions.co.uk/r ... ecordID=23

going ... going ...
  • gsk82
    gone.

hopefully they will try for and get permission for an extra couple of hundred places. there was space at the start/ finish area last year and the roads on the ride were far from gridlocked. although the email from them said theres no possibility of extra places. didn't expect it to fill up this quick though!
  • gsk82
  • gsk82
    craigwend wrote:

i'm suprised they managed to fill an extra 80 places given that there's no mention of the extra spaces on the website adn the old link to the entry was removed
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Did this last year. It was a really good ride.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Sheesh - talk about dithering! I've been thinking about doing this for a while and not getting round to booking it so I checked the website just now - 599 entries. I got number 600 :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Rolf F wrote:
    Sheesh - talk about dithering! I've been thinking about doing this for a while and not getting round to booking it so I checked the website just now - 599 entries. I got number 600 :lol:

Will you be on the Look Rolf? Will keep an eye out for it, nice looking bike.
  • rolf_f
    MatHammond wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Will you be on the Look Rolf? Will keep an eye out for it, nice looking bike.

Ahhh, well. Now there is a question! So far I have done two sportives and bailed on one since I got the bike and either terrain or weather put me off bringing out the Look in each case. In the case of E Yorks, I might be using the excuse that those nasty flints might chip the lacquer! Heaven forbid that I actually use it........

Seriously, as long as it is dry, I should be on the Look - will I be looking out for a Gladius?

I recently did most of the first half the other way - it's a nice route and looks fairly benign compared to the 5 Dales.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'll be on my Gladius. The route is quite tough from what I remember, there's a good variety of climbs in there. I'm looking forward to it, will be over in the Alps the weekend before so hopefully will have some decent form.
  • gsk82
    i wouldn't recommend using a super posh bike if it rains in the days before. some of the roads get very mucky after heavy rain, especially hanging grimston and acklam climbs and the decent into kirby underdale. i actually think everyone should use their mountain bike or bmx, the time isn't important just my finishing poisition
  • rolf_f
    MatHammond wrote:
    I'll be on my Gladius. The route is quite tough from what I remember, there's a good variety of climbs in there. I'm looking forward to it, will be over in the Alps the weekend before so hopefully will have some decent form.

Mine shouldn't be the only Optimum as Leedsmjh has a similar machine (only with more pink on it :lol:(might get D-locked for that......) )
    gsk82 wrote:
    i wouldn't recommend using a super posh bike if it rains in the days before. some of the roads get very mucky after heavy rain, especially hanging grimston and acklam climbs and the decent into kirby underdale. i actually think everyone should use their mountain bike or bmx, the time isn't important just my finishing poisition

That would be my approach - I know the area very well; it was once 'my patch'. Always remember being amazed at how mucky the car was after every trip. Mind, Holderness is even worse than the Wolds.
  • craigwend
    Final ride instructions sent today

&

Time awards

Distance Gold Silver Bronze
    160 km 6 hours 15 minutes 7 hours 15 minutes Finish
    100 km 4 hours 15 minutes 4 hours 45 minutes Finish
    60 km 2 hours 45 minutes 3 hours 15 minutes Finish

Don't think I'll be doing a gold time, would be lucky to hit silver,

If the weather is anything like today Ill be gald to finish (very hot :lol: )

Anyone else doing the 100 mile (160k) ?
  • gsk82
    craigwend wrote:
    Final ride instructions sent today

&

Time awards

Distance Gold Silver Bronze
    160 km 6 hours 15 minutes 7 hours 15 minutes Finish
    100 km 4 hours 15 minutes 4 hours 45 minutes Finish
    60 km 2 hours 45 minutes 3 hours 15 minutes Finish

Don't think I'll be doing a gold time, would be lucky to hit silver,

If the weather is anything like today Ill be gald to finish (very hot :lol: )

Anyone else doing the 100 mile (160k) ?

unless the routes changed those times seem pretty generous. everyone i spoke to measured the 160k route as only 96miles last year.

i've been riding parts of the route the last few weeks and didnt remember the bit between wetwang (approx 15miles) and thixendale (approx 40miles) been so difficult. hopefully the weather will cool off a bit though.

a warning for anyone who hasn't done it before, there is a very sharp right hand bend on the decent just after turning off at wharrem le dale, i ended up on the grass bank last year without going particularly fast.
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Hey there's a farm called Martinholme Farm just past Thixendale, stopped there last year (and never noticed the farm sign at the end of the building) at a feed stop on the big G. My name, Martin Holmes, spookey or what? :shock:
  • leedsmjh
    Rolf F wrote:
    Mine shouldn't be the only Optimum as Leedsmjh has a similar machine (only with more pink on it :lol:(might get D-locked for that......) )

:lol: I'll wear pink to match the bike and make sure that we can be told apart ...

Pleased to see the weather forecast improving
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Hals1967 wrote:
    Just entered the 100km route - my first Sportive. I can comfortably manage the 60 miles but feel that the full 100 mile route is beyond me at present.

Looking forward to it.
    Nonsense! I can comfortably manage 60miles too. I find a 100mile rides harder as you'd expect but in a sportive you'll find the motivation and energy level required to complete it. :D
  • craigwend
    It's all a bit wet at the moment

:shock:

Just off to watch the racing in Beverley...
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    Toks wrote:
    Hals1967 wrote:

Looking forward to it.
    Nonsense! I can comfortably manage 60miles too. I find a 100mile rides harder as you'd expect but in a sportive you'll find the motivation and energy level required to complete it. :D

I wish I'd signed up for the 100 miler as I've a couple of centuries under my belt now !

Still, looking forward to it...hope the rain stays off and that bloody wind drops !

Gonna catch the racing on Sunday too, great weekend if you count in le Tour :D

1967 Engine
  • craigwend
    Address for the pics

http://www.cherrystudioevents.co.uk/group9493.html

Address for result timings

http://www.sportstimingsolutions.co.uk/results.php

I got a 'silver' on the day for the 160k, not great weather, but a great ride, though the middle third of Hills was punising :shock:
  • leedsmjh
    Big thumbs up to the organisers, I thought this was a really well run event.

Very well sign-posted route that was hard but not ridiculous, lots of food and a good variety at the feedstops (savoury food - yay!), excellent pie and peas at the end and everyone was friendly and cheerful.