Forest of Dean

2»

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I think that I may have seen some sunlight in the early afternoon.

I may be mistaken.

Anyway, I enjoyed it - the scenery provides a believable excuse for slowing down!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Nice route, after rain cleared enjoyed it but cold!! Well signed and good food stops etc. Some good steady long climbs (how many times can you go back down to the Wye valley?)---good support from locals / followers out and about; Symonds Yat crowd good boost.
    Measured climbs at 2700m on Garmin; 6 h 47 min total---bronze, can`t go faster but am getting older so next year in super vets it would be a silver at this time :)
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    Heard, then saw the Wild Boar on Ruardean Hill turned and tried to interest others but those near me seemed unresponsive and grim faced they just ground on up the climb!

It was not a bad day for me. I felt good and after missing this event last year, when I rode The White Horse and HHH so couldn't get 'a pass' for this as one as well, I really appreciated how much better than so many other sportives this little event is.

Yes I was a bit slower than previous rides hitting silver not gold but conditions improved as the day went on and the weather forecast was pretty much spot on. Understandably quite a few riders seemed to puncture and it was a bit chilly after our recent warm spell but I had a great day and am looking forward to next year already for an event that seems genuinely keen to adapt and improve itself year on year.
  • pantsani
    pantsani Posts: 114
    Well done to all who took part.

My ass sprung a leak the night before and kept me up a fair bit on Sat night, so that coupled with the rain I gave it a miss. If I'd already signed up to it I think I would have still had a go , but not having paid I just couldn't convince myself it was worth the hardship.

After a decent kip, I went on a training ride taking in part of the route, the FOD classic riders I passed ( mostly round Ruardean ) all looked totally knackered, fair play to them.

It's a shame because every year something crops up to stop me doing it, I will be there next year!
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    Great event, so much better than last year, in all respects. Well done to the organisers for acting upon the criticism of last years event. The route was altered slightly, for the better IMO and it was also slightly longer and a little tougher, feedstations were well positioned and well stocked, with loos available at both. hot food and drink at the end was also very welcome. What with the miserable weather at the start i would guess the times are going to be a little slower than last year as well.

All in all, a great day!
  • photos online at www.georgeburgessphotography.com

new deal for digital photos too!

Well done all! Impressed that so many people kept it sunny side up and had some good banter on the way round!

George
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175

Like the Speech House descent shots!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Brewsterwmb
    Brewsterwmb Posts: 145
    conflicting seemed to be the order of the day! I saw one guy dressed like he was about to go up Col something in the middle of summer and another in full winter gear and mudguards! I went 'spring' and suffered for the first few miles, but it soon turned out to be an OK day, the wind even dried out the roads in places!

Extra hill? it was hilly, thats all I noticed! But great. Some warning signs on the sharp hairpin bends would have been nice; unless they were there and I was concentrating in the wet ?!

Who didn't puncture!? Lucky me, but the roads seemed to be lined with people puncturing the entire route.

Great food stops and great food at the end. Thanks Wheels n Wheels. Could you just re-tarmac some of those roads next time please ;-) In French tarmac of course!! :P
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • JamesB
    "and another in full winter gear and mudguards" ---may well have been me!! van Nic with guards + Assos Airjack + Giordana BodyClone + goretex cap + double gloves+ sealskins socks+ overshoes; but I kept warm!!! :):) ---maybe a bit overdressed by after lunch, could have worn not such warm leggings I thought that I`d packed all that gear away for the year. :(

Can`t understand how people survived in shorts though, any coldness to knees for me = trouble
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Enjoyed the event - started very late so rode it all solo. Just missed a Silver by a few minutes - must remember to spend less time at the food stops. Hot food at the end was very welcome.
  • Campervan27
    Campervan27 Posts: 137
    Where's the reasults?? :roll:
    Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.
  • Campervan27
    Campervan27 Posts: 137
    what about the ones who were eaten half way round by the foresters???

799 is a sh*tload of people who did it considering the weather was really really crappy.
    Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.
  • alp777
    what about the ones who were eaten half way round by the foresters???

799 is a sh*tload of people who did it considering the weather was really really crappy.

799 didn't do it. I made it 537 finishers, don't think the guy who did it in 4.37 is being particularly honest either :roll:
  • JamesB
    my thoughts too----much too big a `winning gap`; he`s teh loser though if it was on a shortcut
  • MRadd
    MRadd Posts: 205
    What was the quickest time? I fell asleep trying to work it out...
    : "Why don't i remember breaking my face?" :

: Semi Professional Grease Monkey, Full time Tea boy... :
  • 202 Liam Mclouglin 04:37:29
  • Brewsterwmb
    Brewsterwmb Posts: 145
    yeah, 799 was just the last number Wheels n Wheels must have used; entered on the day maybe!!?

Spreadsheet makes it 537 as you say alp777

4:37! Well done to that man if it is 100% legit!? If not, great as that moves me inside the top 10 :)
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • alp777
    202 Liam Mclouglin 04:37:29

Don't think he was, me thinks he took a shortcut :wink: